Securing travel bag to rear seat of 2018 GW - Honda Goldwing Forums
 7Likes
  • 5 Post By tml
  • 1 Post By -Hairball-
  • 1 Post By doakh

post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-04-2018, 11:43 AM Thread Starter
tml

Securing travel bag to rear seat of 2018 GW

I recently bought my first GW, a 2018 DCT. When I was thinking about purchasing it, I noticed there were no tie-down points that were easy or obvious. I decided to try a simple hack on my first trip with the new GW and it worked great!

I took two lengths of paracord, one for each side. I added two alpine butterfly loops about 6" apart. And then wrapped the cord around the passenger hand grips and secured. I then used the 2x butterfly loops on each side as the tie down points for my bag.

I just came back from a 4 day trip and this simple expensive hack worked great.

For the trip, I simply knotted the loops under the grips. Upon return, I wanted to enlarge one of the loops and created a new length. This time, I secure that side with a Nite Ize Cam XT fastener. It allows for a tighter loop, likely even more secure. But I worry a bit about the metal cam scratching the surface of the bike ... will see.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2665.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	256647   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2666.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	256649  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-04-2018, 12:49 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Nicely done and hope you had a great trip

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Whoever said a woman can't make up their mind never met a Male Motorcycle Rider

GWOF IB COUPLE #2

MEMBER GWOF IB TRIO #1/Overall #4

FR #91
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-05-2018, 12:05 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tml View Post
I noticed there were no tie-down points that were easy or obvious.
They are there, they just work a bit differently. If you notice at the end of each grab bar there is round slot for the cord. You run the cord section of the bungee cord under the rail and up and the hooks fasten to the bag or hooks from the other side that have been stretched over the bag. Not sure if that explanation made much sense but instead of hooking the grab rail, you hook the bag or a hook from the other side. You just need to purchase the longer cords to secure whatever you plan on putting in the seat. I ordered a Kuryakyn Momentum Wanderer touring seat bag for mine and will see how it goes when it gets here.

Current - 2018 DCT Tour (White/Black) #899 and added OEM Fog Lights, XM Antenna, Centramatic Wheel Balancers, Rivco Aero Pegs, PathBlazer Headlight Modulator, Trunk Mat, Trunk Organizer, Saddlebag Liners, Beadrider Seat Mat, Kuryakyn ISO Grips, Utopia Backrest, F4 Windshield, and Tool Kit

Past Rides:
Yamaha 250, 400
Kawasaki 600, 750, ZX-7, ZX-10, ZX-11
Suzuki GSXR 1000

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-06-2018, 09:43 PM

Garage
Thought I would drop this in the same thread I mentioned it. Just in case anyone is looking for an additional bag to carry some stuff, I received my bag today. I selected this bag because it sits further back in the seat pocket than some of the others so it makes a little bit better use of available space. You can also still use a backrest if you like and the bag will still fit

Another feature that is nice is that I don't have to remove the bag if I want to put the OEM cover over the bike. I discussed in another thread of how I removed the elastic band on the bottom of the cover to make it fit better and even with the bag on the bike, the cover fits nicely over the bike and covers it well. Now I just need to strap the bag down and take it out for it's initial run and see how it goes. I am sure the wife can send me someplace to pick up something...

Anyway, just passing on some info in case someone out there might have been looking at this bag and wondered how it would fit on the bike.
Luv2fish likes this.

Current - 2018 DCT Tour (White/Black) #899 and added OEM Fog Lights, XM Antenna, Centramatic Wheel Balancers, Rivco Aero Pegs, PathBlazer Headlight Modulator, Trunk Mat, Trunk Organizer, Saddlebag Liners, Beadrider Seat Mat, Kuryakyn ISO Grips, Utopia Backrest, F4 Windshield, and Tool Kit

Past Rides:
Yamaha 250, 400
Suzuki GSXR 1000
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018, 07:12 PM

What bag is this?
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018, 07:38 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhstiles View Post
What bag is this?
The bag is called the Momentum Wanderer Touring Seat Bag and it is made by Kuryakyn

Past Rides:
Yamaha 250, 400
Suzuki GSXR 1000
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-24-2018, 09:55 AM
Administrator

Garage
Good ideas guys, thanks for that.

grab all the kicks you can baby, you only make this scene once!
current rides: '09 GL1800AD "SENSHI"; 2003 RVT1000r (RC51) track bike... certified m/c addict. IDMWT #12. GWRRA #028890
Daryl
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 04:28 PM

Hairball, how do you like the bag after using it?
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 09:08 PM

Does the seat need to be protected when using luggage? I guess it is some kind-of vinyl? I used non-adhesive easy grip shelve lining on a leather seat to protect it. This is a great bag for the solo rider, it is 60 liters and fits perfectly @ 12" deep.
crownfire likes this.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 08:26 AM
Administrator

Garage
Great ingenuity there guys!

grab all the kicks you can baby, you only make this scene once!
current rides: '09 GL1800AD "SENSHI"; 2003 RVT1000r (RC51) track bike... certified m/c addict. IDMWT #12. GWRRA #028890
Daryl
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode