Motorcycle gear recommendations wanted - Honda Goldwing Forums
 14Likes

post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-03-2018, 02:48 PM Thread Starter

Motorcycle gear recommendations wanted

It seems like every time I turn around there are new questions that pop up pertaining to riding. This is one I'd definitely like input on. I figured decent helmet, leather gloves, chaps and boots and I'd be riding safely. Apparently, that's not true. Now I'm seeing kevlar pants that can literally save your butt, gloves that can absorb impact so you don't end up with multiple fractures should you hit the ground and of course jackets that look like they could be worn by Iron Man. I'm definitely interested in getting gear that will make me as safe as possible without having to spend thousands and thousands of dollars. I'm cautious and defensive on the road on 2 wheels or 4.
Can you please share brands/websites and prices of gear that you use which gives you an added amount of safety about typical leathers? Anything I buy I'm going to have to get 2 of since I'm going to be hauling my 17 y.o. with me. Another question there-is it safer to be the operator or passenger on a motorcycle and if there is a difference, why?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-03-2018, 03:08 PM
Administrator

Garage
I wear (as well as my missus) Joe Rocket textile gear on theWing. It has CE protective pads and is almost as abrasion resistant as leather. We both wear good quality leather gloves and decent riding boots and wear HJC IS33 3/4 shell lids. You can spend lots more for a Shoei or Arai helmet but the certification is what matters as much as the fit. You can have a $1000 lid and if it doesn't fit properly it's worth less than ten bucks. Don't kid yourself, gear is very important but an off at speed is going to result in some painful and likely broken bones, but it will save your life in anything but a full frontal collision in most instances. I know, I've been there last fall and my gear saved my arse but the impact resulted in 7 broken ribs and a fractured collar bone and shoulder blade. I had some major bruising but my lid (HJC RPHA10) kept my head intact even though I was was knocked out and pretty much out of the picture of cognitive reasoning. No residual concussive effects (at least no more than I had to start with) and my leathers, boots and gloves were completely intact, and aside from having my race suit cut off in the ER, there was no tearing or serious marks on the suit or boots and gloves. My advice to you is buy the best gear you can afford, and remember, helmets have a lifespan limitation of 5 years.
Two Wheel Wing and dsurley like this.

grab all the kicks you can baby, you only make this scene once!
current rides: '09 GL1800AD "SENSHI"; 2003 RVT1000r (RC51) track bike... certified m/c addict. IDMWT #12. GWRRA #028890
Daryl
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-03-2018, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by budoka View Post
I wear ... Joe Rocket textile gear on theWing. It has CE protective pads and is almost as abrasion resistant as leather.
Same here. Joe Rocket mesh in spring, summer, early fall. Olympia riding suit in late fall/winter.
You didn't say where you are, that affects gear choices.
Quote:
We both wear good quality leather gloves and decent riding boots and wear HJC IS33 3/4 shell lids. You can spend lots more for a Shoei or Arai helmet but the certification is what matters as much as the fit.
THIS!
I was a paramedic, then a traffic homicide investigator. Buy the best, best fitting helmet you can afford. People don't understand how little impact it takes to the head to kill you, especially if the force is isolated to a small area. The helmet spreads out the force.
Fit is KEY!, and the helmet should be snug (slightly uncomfortable, it will break in like new shoes). Get the helmet that fits.

I recommend full face or modular helmets. Crash damage stats show nearly 20% of crash damage (by far the majority) is to the chinbar area of full face helmets (where your face is with a 3/4ths helmet). In a half or 3/4ths helmet, the odds are than you will take impact where the helmet doesn't cover you.
https://motorbikewriter.com/crash-st...cycle-helmets/

I wear a modular with the chinbar down, and the visor up for ventilation. If on a long highway ride, I'll open the chinbar to drink my soda or whatever, then put the chinbar down when done.
I also recommend a retracting sunvisor. You can have the main visor completely open (or take it off) and use the sunvisor for eye protection from bugs, dirt, and sun. It's almost like having a 3/4th helmet in terms of ventilation.

Sturdy boots. The most common injury is broken ankles from slow speed drops where the low foot gets trapped.

Sturdy gloves with knuckle protection. I have seen people grind off parts of fingers against the road from wearing "half gloves". They are useless, your fingers are what need protection. Solid knuckle protection. You would be amazed how little force it takes to break knuckles, and they never heal right.

Quote:
My advice to you is buy the best gear you can afford, and remember, helmets have a lifespan limitation of 5 years.
Yep. And ANY visible damage to the helmet requires replacement (other than minor scrapes from carrying it and bumping the wall). Any drop to a hard surface from more than about two feet requires replacement.
budoka likes this.

Alan in Denver
2012 GL1800 Comfort/Audio/Nav/ABS
2016 Ducati Multistrada S

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-03-2018, 06:16 PM

Garage
www.DennisKirk.com has a huge selection and a no fee return for exchange return policy.

That is where I have purchased my two helmets.... each had to be returned on the first try to get the right size.
Same with my Joe Rocket mesh jacket.... had to try the second time for fit.

I would at least look to see what is out there.

IDMWT member #80
Never walk, when you can ride!

current ride : 2013 GL1800 Audio Comfort

Darkside Yokohama Avid ENVigor 195/55 R16
non-runflat
Double Darkside Bridgestone BT45 Battlax Front

Past rides: '98 GL1500SE
'03 750 Kawasaki Vulcan
'81 850 Suzuki
'80 550 Suzuki
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-03-2018, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsurley View Post
www.DennisKirk.com has a huge selection and a no fee return for exchange return policy. ... I would at least look to see what is out there.
Make sure you shop around. DennisKirk, Revzilla, BikeBandit, and Amazon. Sometimes an item or line of gear will be on sale, or even closeout at one vendor or another.
My Olympia suit was $375 at DennisKirk and BikeBandit, on closeout at Revzilla for $125. Same with my Joe Rocket jacket, 65% off list on Amazon that day.

Google the exact manufacturer an product name, and click the various links. You never know what you'll find.
dsurley likes this.

Alan in Denver
2012 GL1800 Comfort/Audio/Nav/ABS
2016 Ducati Multistrada S
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-04-2018, 12:56 PM Thread Starter

[QUOTE=budoka;2156077]I wear (as well as my missus) Joe Rocket textile gear on theWing. It has CE protective pads and is almost as abrasion resistant as leather. We both wear good quality leather gloves and decent riding boots and wear HJC IS33 3/4 shell lids.

Not trying to be a smart alec (as my dad used to say) but if textile gear is almost or close to as abrasion resistant as leather, why not just wear leather?
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-04-2018, 01:05 PM

Leather does provide the best resistance to abrasion but it's a lot hotter to wear than textiles. If you don't mind the added heat leather is the way to go IMHO.

I wear leather at the race track and mostly textiles on the street unless the weather is cooler.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-04-2018, 03:24 PM

Ebay -

Hey Pam - Personally I've often found the best bang for your money is on Ebay. You would be amazed how many new bike owners purchase high dollar, space age, matching, color coordinated, riding outfits, suits, vests, boots, gloves, helmets, scarfs and socks only to discover riding motorcycles aren't for them.

Once you have decided on a known brand, search through Ebay using a desired item (description/size/etc...) + "used", bid conservatively and be patient. You can easily build up a complete head to foot summer and winter wardrobe - often with multiple duplicates.

In all weather conditions I prefer to wear jackets (with removable liners) and pants -both with a full set of built-in armor installed. Although there are several manufactures, Joe Rocket has proven to be well worth considering for quality and price. By always going with like new, preowned gear I've been able to accumulate several sets of everything very reasonably. Just recently I purchased a $300 pair of Harley Davidson steel toed lace up boots for $40 + $15 shipping.

Ride Safe - Michael
Pamtha likes this.

Last edited by jkmcdonald123; 07-04-2018 at 08:58 PM.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-04-2018, 09:20 PM

Garage
We have been getting new gear. Retiring the old leathers. So far we have gone with Olyimpa jackets and pants. Looking at a pair of TCX boots leaning toward the Jupiter Gortex. Oh and got new helmets stuck with Sharks but went from ful face to modular happy with every thing we have purchased so far.

Jer
Let's ride and hey let's be careful out there
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-04-2018, 11:11 PM

Garage
All of my gear in the past has consisted of full race leathers so when I purchased the new bike, I had to change things up a bit. I am coming from the perspective of being hit twice by cars (once from behind while sitting at a stoplight and once pushed into a guard rail by a 4-door Mercedes that was about to miss their off-ramp) and once by another bike (ran up into my rear tire as we were going around a curve) so I take the possibility of road rash and broken bones rather seriously. Luckily, I got up and walked away from all of them without serious injury, the right gear had a part in that as well. Regardless of how well you ride and how safe you think you are, sometimes you just take a hit.

In regards to cost, I don't try and save a buck when it comes to safety equipment. The cost of high-end gear will pale in comparison to the cost of medical bills and rehab. I decided to try the "non-leather" route and went with an Alpinestars Drystar jacket (around 250.00) and I just remove the liner and the mesh keeps me comfortable even out here in the high desert. I also bought matching pants but not sure if I will get around to wearing them but I have them in case I take a longer trip and might run into rain. I also picked up a nice Dainese Fighter Perforated Leather Jacket. What can I say, hard to totally give up on the leathers

I also purchased some of the jeans with Kevlar in addition to knee and hip pads. Again, I went with Alpinestars but I also purchased a pair labeled as "scorpion" brand. While I like the Alpinestars, I would say that the Scorpion jeans have twice as much Kevlar and the lower section of the jean has a mesh lining. The scorpion jean is also about 100.00 cheaper than the Alpinestars; however, the jean material on the Scorpion jean is not quite as thick as that of Alpinestars.

Gloves are always difficult to select so spend a little and get some good quality leather that will survive your first initial "bounce" before they start to fall apart. Don't be fooled by the common "hard knuckle" area of most gloves as this is more for looks than function unless it helps you with road debris hitting your knuckles in regular gloves when you ride. If you fall off the bike, your hand will most likely come down on the palm and not your knuckles so that's were you want quality, thick leather. While not the best for feeling the grips or pushing buttons, they will help save your hands.

Good quality boots that cover the ankle is what you want and you can generally find them at a reasonable price. I purchased a pair that was on-sale at the bike shop for around 100.00 even though I could probably just wear a pair of Danner Ft Lewis boots or any other that I have in the closet as laces are not much of a concern anymore on a DCT

If I recall, you already have a helmet so I won't go into that too much. I started wearing Shoei back in the 80s and I have always stuck with them. On a side note, I would never purchase a used helmet without knowing its history. There are certain brands I won't wear regardless of what certification they have. Junk can be certified as well as top shelf stuff but the devil is in the details.

In regards to operator versus passenger safety, the operator generally has the advantage in knowing what is about to happen before the passenger. You may be able to make that split second decision that a passenger will have to figure out in "mid-flight" for lack of a better term so the operator may have a better outcome than a passenger in this regard. Is one inherently safer than the other, I don't think so as each position has its pluses and minuses.
NREMTP likes this.

Current - 2018 DCT Tour (White/Black) #899 and added OEM Fog Lights, XM Antenna, Centramatic Wheel Balancers, Rivco Aero Pegs, PathBlazer Headlight Modulator, Trunk Mat, Trunk Organizer, Saddlebag Liners, Beadrider Seat Mat, Kuryakyn ISO Grips, Utopia Backrest, F4 Windshield, and Tool Kit

Past Rides:
Yamaha 250, 400
Kawasaki 600, 750, ZX-7, ZX-10, ZX-11
Suzuki GSXR 1000

Last edited by -Hairball-; 07-04-2018 at 11:43 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode