Helmet headache and pedals - Honda Goldwing Forums
 12Likes

post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-30-2018, 05:05 PM Thread Starter

Helmet headache and pedals

I finally had a chance to take a nice long ride on my new to me '89 GL1500 today. It ran wonderfully but I noticed 2 problems. First, with my helmet. I've had this helmet for about 13 years and never noticed issues with it before but then again, I didn't take very long rides on my bike because I lived in the city. I noticed that my forehead where the padding was pressing started to hurt. It got to the point where I desperately wanted to take it off just to stop the discomfort. If I'd left it on my longer I would have ended up with a migraine. As far as I know, my head hasn't gotten bigger and readjusting the helmet didn't help. Any tips? I already wear a large, I would be swimming in an extra large.

Second problem-I don't know what you call the pedals that are further up front that you use when you are going long distances. I'm guessing the ones on this Wing are aftermarket because a portion of the fairing is sticking out and is in the way of where you would comfortably put your legs in order to rest them on the pedals. I don't know if there is anything I can do about that.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180630_154533.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	256581  

Last edited by Pamtha; 06-30-2018 at 05:22 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-30-2018, 05:17 PM

First thing, what year is the bike? New to you?
Your 13 year old helmet is probably worn out. The helmet should fit snug on your head.
The other thing is buffeting from the wind. Raise or lower the windshield.
Without knowing what year the bike makes it hard to recommend "highway" peg fix.
budoka likes this.

2012 GL1800
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-30-2018, 05:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcihil View Post
First thing, what year is the bike? New to you?
Your 13 year old helmet is probably worn out. The helmet should fit snug on your head.
The other thing is buffeting from the wind. Raise or lower the windshield.
Without knowing what year the bike makes it hard to recommend "highway" peg fix.
It's an '89 GL1500. Also, the helmet is too snug. That's why it hurts.

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-30-2018, 05:29 PM

Garage
Have you been wearing the helmet routinely over time or is it an older helmet that you decided to wear with the new bike? I had a helmet once that would rest right on a spot in the middle of my forehead and would give me a headache if I wore it more than an hour or so. Sometimes it would be good but other times it would be uncomfortable. Have you changed your hair style? My head has about as much hair as a peach these days so I don't have many issues as long as the helmet fits initially. If the helmet has removable inserts for cleaning, you might try pulling everything out and cleaning it up and then putting it back together and see if you can smooth out some of those pressure points.
Pamtha likes this.

Current - 2018 DCT Tour (White/Black) #899 and added OEM Fog Lights, XM Antenna, Centramatic Wheel Balancers, Rivco Aero Pegs, PathBlazer Headlight Modulator, Trunk Mat, Trunk Organizer, Saddlebag Liners, Beadrider Seat Mat, Kuryakyn ISO Grips, Utopia Backrest, F4 Windshield, and Tool Kit

Past Rides:
Yamaha 250, 400
Kawasaki 600, 750, ZX-7, ZX-10, ZX-11
Suzuki GSXR 1000
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-30-2018, 05:34 PM

You can try shaving or sanding some of the styrofoam where your forehead hits. If you can find some carbon paper, put it under the lining and against the styrofoam. Push on the front of the helmet and look for the marks where it is hitting. I had to do this with my helmet. It fit perfectly everywhere but the forehead.
W1ngin1t likes this.

2012 GL1800
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-30-2018, 06:45 PM
Lifetime Premium

The pedal you are talking about looks like the markland Highway boards. The part of the Fairing that is getting in your way can be replaced with an after market one that just covers the edge and does not stick out. Check on the Wingstuff site,the only thing is they are CHROME i GOT A SET ON MY 99 se.

From the Northwest Corner
Ron
The Land of Tall mountains
IDMWT #5
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-30-2018, 08:37 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
The loop end of the case guard probably gets you in the ankle.
Some riders have switched to Mick-o-pegs and done away with highway boards.
http://www.ridingiswonderful.com/

IDMHT#1
Go Navy!
Retired trike builder/motorcycle tech.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-30-2018, 08:47 PM

Garage
I have two helmets by the same manufacture, one is a modular and the other isn't. The non modular helmet I can wear all day with no discomfort at all, except for the sweat at stop lights in the heat. I bought the modular for that reason, but after about an hour my forehead starts to burn, so I feel your pain. I like bcihil's idea, think I am going to try that one myself.

But they do recommend replacing helmets before they are as old as yours for safety reasons.
dduelin likes this.

IDMWT member #80
Never walk, when you can ride!

current ride : 2013 GL1800 Audio Comfort

Darkside Yokohama Avid ENVigor 195/55 R16
non-runflat
Double Darkside Bridgestone BT45 Battlax Front

Past rides: '98 GL1500SE
'03 750 Kawasaki Vulcan
'81 850 Suzuki
'80 550 Suzuki
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-30-2018, 11:23 PM

Based on my own experience of late, I'd suggest your old helmet is possibly best suited for a round shaped head, and maybe you head is more oval than round. Might sound silly, but have someone look at your head from above and see what they think. Like you, my old helmet was beginning to give me a real headache from the forehead pressure after anything more than an hour. Look here for a table showing various helmets organized by shape, and then go try on a couple at a store and see if a more oval helmet is better for you:

https://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcy...nternal-shape/

And here's a newer one:

http://www.lidpicker.com/free-data/

13 years is a pretty old helmet; manufacturers recommend changing them out after 5 years from manufacture (there's a sticker inside under the liner that tells you the date it was made). I'm not a super believer that a helmet will be 'worn out' after 5 years, but the best explanation I heard to support this is that after 5 years there has likely been enough significant improvement in helmet design/materials/options to warrant a new one. Good luck finding one that fits.

Someone mentioned Mik-o-pegs. I'm not sure they have them for a 1500 but if they do they might be worth looking into. I sure like mine on my 1800.

2006 Honda GL1800
2012 Ural Patrol

Previous bikes:
2010 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Classic
1983 Suzuki GS850G
1982 Yamaha Vision 550

Last edited by edmKC; 06-30-2018 at 11:33 PM.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-01-2018, 05:06 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Helmet pressure points are one of the most uncomfortable things you can happen to you while riding. I suggest carefully inspecting the helmet, even the simplest folded material can cause the issue. Additionally if you do not or do wear a head do rag, the same will apply for that. If the helmet fit before I would be inclined to think along those lines. Another possibility is although most of us guys here at the GWOF don't have to worry much about hair style, you being a lady is it also possible of a different hair style that may be causing the problem??

Now as for those Highway boards. I personally never liked a board, always used a Highway peg. The pic shows what I believe to be a not very well adjusted Highway Board. There is a way to move, adjust, maybe even relocate those that may in fact yield a better result. There are also extension pieces that can be added to certain models (research this) to move them further. The 1500 is a wide girl at the fairing and it may take some thought process to be able to achieve a more comfortable ride.

http://wingstuff.com/shop/gold_wing_gl1500-footrests_stands
Chopin and Pamtha like this.

Whoever said a woman can't make up their mind never met a Male Motorcycle Rider

GWOF IB COUPLE #2

MEMBER GWOF IB TRIO #1/Overall #4

FR #91
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode