Helmet headache and pedals - Page 3 - Honda Goldwing Forums
 12Likes

post #21 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-06-2018, 08:11 PM Thread Starter

[QUOTE=edmKC;2155673]Based on my own experience of late, I'd suggest your old helmet is possibly best suited for a round shaped head, and maybe you head is more oval than round. Might sound silly, but have someone look at your head from above and see what they think. Like you, my old helmet was beginning to give me a real headache from the forehead pressure after anything more than an hour. Look here for a table showing various helmets organized by shape, and then go try on a couple at a store and see if a more oval helmet is better for you:

You were exactly right. I'd forgotten that when I was in private school in the 4th grade I had the biggest beret in the class. My head is a long oval, almost 3 inches longer from front to back than side to side. I'm telling you, it's hard to find the right helmet for that kind of head. This is what I ended ordering today after several other cyclists said they had family members with the same shape head and the helmet worked really well. It surprised me because the description says it more moderate oval. I had a different one ordered yesterday until I found out that it received 2 stars in the Sharp score of 2 out of 5 stars with very weak areas on both sides of the head. I cancelled that order and this one has 5 out of 5 stars. https://www.bikebandit.com/riding-ge...helmet/p/51231

Last edited by Pamtha; 07-08-2018 at 01:35 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-07-2018, 02:44 PM

Nice looking lid - I hope that helmet works out for you. The lidpicker chart definitely shows it as more round than oval. I've never ordered a helmet online - can you return them if you wear it around the house for an hour and find it's pressing on the forehead?

2006 Honda GL1800
2012 Ural Patrol

Previous bikes:
2010 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Classic
1983 Suzuki GS850G
1982 Yamaha Vision 550
post #23 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-08-2018, 01:36 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmKC View Post
Nice looking lid - I hope that helmet works out for you. The lidpicker chart definitely shows it as more round than oval. I've never ordered a helmet online - can you return them if you wear it around the house for an hour and find it's pressing on the forehead?
Yes, they said they have a 60 day return policy which is pretty impressive.

post #24 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-10-2018, 04:37 PM
Administrator

Garage
There are also some manufacturers that have available interchangeable inner padding sections for a more custom fit. Shoei for sure and possibly Nolan and a couple more. But then you're dealing with some pretty serious high end products. I'm lucky that way, I'm pretty Joe Average and can wear just about any large size lid, any XL jacket, regular size 10.5 boots, large gloves...sure makes shopping for gear easy. Well except for when my Parts Canada rep send me a size medium brain bucket; but it didn't take but a minute to figure out what was wrong there.
Best way is to go to a store and try some helmets on there and pay close attention to what may become a serious pressure/discomfort point. 15 minutes in the store with the helmet on should do it. Explain your problem with a staffer and they should be more than willing to assist you. If not, run.

grab all the kicks you can baby, you only make this scene once!
current rides: '09 GL1800AD "SENSHI"; 2003 RVT1000r (RC51) track bike... certified m/c addict. IDMWT #12. GWRRA #028890
Daryl
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode