Helmet headache and pedals - Page 2 - Honda Goldwing Forums
 12Likes

post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-01-2018, 08:56 AM

I had a dew rag with a seam on my forehead, if I wore it just right, ( or wrong) it was at a spot that caused pressure and eventually pain.
I don't use that one anymore.

So even just a small seam from sewing was too much.

Good luck

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
fossil92 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-01-2018, 12:27 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmKC View Post
Based on my own experience of late, I'd suggest your old helmet is possibly best suited for a round shaped head, and maybe you head is more oval than round. Might sound silly, but have someone look at your head from above and see what they think. Like you, my old helmet was beginning to give me a real headache from the forehead pressure after anything more than an hour. Look here for a table showing various helmets organized by shape, and then go try on a couple at a store and see if a more oval helmet is better for you:

https://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcy...nternal-shape/

And here's a newer one:

http://www.lidpicker.com/free-data/

13 years is a pretty old helmet; manufacturers recommend changing them out after 5 years from manufacture (there's a sticker inside under the liner that tells you the date it was made). I'm not a super believer that a helmet will be 'worn out' after 5 years, but the best explanation I heard to support this is that after 5 years there has likely been enough significant improvement in helmet design/materials/options to warrant a new one. Good luck finding one that fits.

Someone mentioned Mik-o-pegs. I'm not sure they have them for a 1500 but if they do they might be worth looking into. I sure like mine on my 1800.

I do most definitely have more of an oval head while my husband has a very round one. I did find another helmet I own which isn't as tight and I'm going to pick up 2 more newer helmets today from someone 'local'. Local meaning I get to drive an hour and a half to get there. ;-) I will definitely look into helmets made for different head shapes when I am near a store that sells them. I checked and they do make Mik-o-pegs for the 1500. Thanks for the advice!
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-02-2018, 08:30 AM

Garage
Problems with your "OLD" helmet

I don't want to sound disrespectful but after reading all the potential fixes for your helmet, after all this time my suggestion would be to go out and purchase a new helmet. Most will tell you a helmet should be replaced approximately every 5 yrs. After that time they become ineffective due to the deterioration of the components as the sun, sweat and other external conditions affect the components of the helmet. You ar are well beyond the limit to have effective head protection. Just go out and buy a new helmet!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Retired From Long Island NY
Now residing in Stokesdale, North Carolina

2014 Black Goldwing
AKA "Miss Money Penny"
Traxxion Suspension

post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-02-2018, 03:24 PM

Yeah, new helmet for sure. A guy from Nolan once told me, "after some years, all the parts that should be hard get softer, and all the parts that should be soft get harder". Of course he was in the helmet business. lol.

After 13 years, yeah, get a new one.

Highway pegs are always an issue on the wing, because of it's width. I tried the Mick-0 pegs on my 1800, and got about 1/4 mile outside my driveway and scraped the bottom of the left peg. I was on an open road, with a normal curve, not in any canyons or anything. They were nice enough to take them back for credit, with just a small penalty for the scratch. When I had the 1500, I just removed those outboard decorative pieces, it's not that bad a look. Kuryakian makes all kinds of different extensions, and mounting hardware to help you get more comfy. On the 1800, best I can do is have about 3/4 of my boot on the peg, but that's plenty comfy for me.
Pamtha likes this.

Richie
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-02-2018, 06:56 PM

Instead of cutting or sanding I used a vise grip, the one with the padded ends and pulled out the liner and squeezed the forehead area, 1 center and one on each side of center. I got it as tight as I could and left each position for 24 hours and now helmet does not hurt. Found out through Lid picker I have a oval head and my helmet is in the round shape so I did the squeeze to get me by until I get a new helmet later this year.

You lips move but I can't hear what your saying

2014 GL1800 Audio Comfort Candy Red
2011 Vulcan Vaquero sold
2009 Vulcan 900LT sold
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-03-2018, 01:09 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Robertson View Post
The pedal you are talking about looks like the markland Highway boards. The part of the Fairing that is getting in your way can be replaced with an after market one that just covers the edge and does not stick out. Check on the Wingstuff site,the only thing is they are CHROME i GOT A SET ON MY 99 se.
That's exactly what they are. Are they supposed to have rubber on the foot rest side? These obviously don't. I read elsewhere they aren't made any more. I'm not having any luck finding extension pieces or the chrome fairing piece you mentioned that can replace the part that is sticking out. I did find out they make chrome stuff for just about everything on a Wing-cup holders, around the headlight, etc, etc. I'm kind of surprised they don't make chrome windshields. ;-)
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-03-2018, 03:08 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
I can top all that with the chrome addicts dream bike.
dwade, alwims and Luv2fish like this.

IDMHT#1
Go Navy!
Retired trike builder/motorcycle tech.
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-03-2018, 07:31 AM

My 89 Wing is set up the same way yours is but I think I am tall enough that's a highway boards don't bother me. I usually put my feet on the boards and pull my heels into the crash guards and that is pretty much how I ride everywhere except in the city where my feet are on the pegs. They may take some adjustments to get used to or you can look on eBay and find a great variety of footrests that will be a lot cheaper than buying new and if one doesn't fit you can always go to the next choice

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-03-2018, 11:20 AM

[quote=trike lady;2155977]I can top all that with the chrome addicts dream bike.

Oh man, you're going to have Ron drooling....
NREMTP likes this.

2006 Honda GL1800
2012 Ural Patrol

Previous bikes:
2010 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Classic
1983 Suzuki GS850G
1982 Yamaha Vision 550
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-03-2018, 11:33 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by trike lady View Post
I can top all that with the chrome addicts dream bike.
My eyes, my eyes!!!!!!! :-) :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode