The verdict is in... - Page 2 - Honda Goldwing Forums
 17Likes

post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-27-2018, 03:24 AM

Congratulations on your new to you 1500. My 1500 would get 40 MPG at 65-70 MPH.
Pamtha likes this.

When all else fails.......... use a hammer!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-27-2018, 04:56 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

As others have already told you the mileage on a 1500 is right around 40 mpg. That is, if you keep your rpm's below 3K. Once you get above that the mileage falls off significantly. I only say this because I know how you Montanans like to go go go.

As a reference 3K should be right around 68-70 mph in overdrive.

By the way enjoy the new ride.
Pamtha likes this.

Whoever said a woman can't make up their mind never met a Male Motorcycle Rider

GWOF IB COUPLE #2

MEMBER GWOF IB TRIO #1/Overall #4

FR #91
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-27-2018, 05:17 AM

Congratulations on the Goldwing purchase! Nice looking ride! You will enjoy the 1500! My 89 GL1500 when loaded down and running 70 miles an hour gets about 38 MPG. My preference for tires on the 1500 are Dunlop E4s. And as Travis stated, that emblem can and will reflect the sunlight right back into your eyes.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
Pamtha likes this.

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-27-2018, 08:06 AM

Location: Wheatland. Missouri on Pomme De Terre Lake 2008 GL1800 IDMWT #63
Garage
Good looking bike. Enjoy.
Pamtha likes this.

Alan & Carol (RIP, PistolPete, Prissy & Loki ),

Proud member #63 of the IDMWT Club.
Darkside # 1696
Triple Darkside;
Front, Bridgestone Battle Ax BT 45
Rear, Bridgestone Driveguard RF
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-27-2018, 12:28 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwade View Post
Congratulations on the Goldwing purchase! Nice looking ride! You will enjoy the 1500! My 89 GL1500 when loaded down and running 70 miles an hour gets about 38 MPG. My preference for tires on the 1500 are Dunlop E4s. And as Travis stated, that emblem can and will reflect the sunlight right back into your eyes.

Can something be done to 'tone down' the brightness on the emblem so that it doesn't blind me?
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-27-2018, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pamtha View Post
Can something be done to 'tone down' the brightness on the emblem so that it doesn't blind me?
Black sharpee does the trick for me. You can still see the emblem but the sharpee takes the glare off.

Pamtha likes this.
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-28-2018, 10:31 AM
Administrator

Garage
Looks like an awesome find. I forget what the mileage I got on my 1500 pulling a trailer, but it was't bad. Never had an issue with fuel ever.
Pamtha likes this.

grab all the kicks you can baby, you only make this scene once!
current rides: '09 GL1800AD "SENSHI"; 2003 RVT1000r (RC51) track bike... certified m/c addict. IDMWT #12. GWRRA #028890
Daryl
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-28-2018, 10:35 AM

Congrats on the new 2U wing. My 1500 got 40 mpg without a trailer. As Fossil said the faster you go the lower the mileage. Enjoy.
Pamtha likes this.

Superdave1120
Sayre, PA
1980 650 Yamaha First Ride
1989 GL1500 First Wing
2006 750 Shadow Wifes Ride
2012 GL1800 New Wing (Red)
IBA #63784
Darksider #1664
Michelin Alpine P3 195/55/R16
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-28-2018, 07:14 PM

Car Top Luggage Carrier -

Hey Pam - Congratulations on your GW purchase. I'm sure you'll have many years of enjoyment. One suggestion concerning the trailer set up - you might consider simply removing the original metal box from the frame and mount one of the much lighter aerodynamic car top luggage carriers. This reuses a frame, axle, wheels and lights that have already been road tested. The interior room of the luggage carrier is plenty large enough to handle virtually anything you might like to take and they are water tight. Also by carrying any bulky/heavy items in the trailer and out of the saddle bags and trunk - you keep your center of gravity as low as possible during low speed maneuvers.

My wife and I were riding along the Grand Canyon South Rim when at one of the rest stops another GW pulled in with a car top style trailer. I'd noticed several air scoops and vents along the edge of the lid and when they opened it up out popped two small dogs. Both little yappers excitedly made a couple of loops around the bikes and then ran over to mark the tire of a near by motorhome. This couple packed a large tent and all of their other camping gear in the trailer, leaving the saddle bags and trunk for cool weather clothing. Once everyone visited for a few minutes and had a drink of water, we all loaded up and were off.

Again Congratulations and Ride Safe - Michael
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-30-2018, 05:38 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkmcdonald123 View Post
Hey Pam - Congratulations on your GW purchase. I'm sure you'll have many years of enjoyment. One suggestion concerning the trailer set up - you might consider simply removing the original metal box from the frame and mount one of the much lighter aerodynamic car top luggage carriers. This reuses a frame, axle, wheels and lights that have already been road tested. The interior room of the luggage carrier is plenty large enough to handle virtually anything you might like to take and they are water tight. Also by carrying any bulky/heavy items in the trailer and out of the saddle bags and trunk - you keep your center of gravity as low as possible during low speed maneuvers.

My wife and I were riding along the Grand Canyon South Rim when at one of the rest stops another GW pulled in with a car top style trailer. I'd noticed several air scoops and vents along the edge of the lid and when they opened it up out popped two small dogs. Both little yappers excitedly made a couple of loops around the bikes and then ran over to mark the tire of a near by motorhome. This couple packed a large tent and all of their other camping gear in the trailer, leaving the saddle bags and trunk for cool weather clothing. Once everyone visited for a few minutes and had a drink of water, we all loaded up and were off.

Again Congratulations and Ride Safe - Michael

Well, that's a brilliant idea and my husband would love to have the box that's on the trailer now in his truck!
crownfire likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode