6Likes
  • 1 Post By MotownWing
  • 1 Post By Spaceman7015
  • 1 Post By Pamtha
  • 1 Post By crownfire
  • 2 Post By Badrider

post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-20-2018, 07:37 PM Thread Starter

Upcoming Trip to the Upper Peninsula, MI

I'm heading to the Upper Peninsula July 11 for about 10 days with a buddy. This will be our 3rd visit, last 2 I had my Magna, this will be the first time with the Wing. Anyway, we're looking at shooting up to Wawa/Chapleau Ontario Canada (Algoma Country) from Sault Saint Marie. There is a ride about 420 Miles round trip and it includes Hwy 129 up to Chapleau and then Hwy 17 down from Wawa that hugs Lake Superior.
Has anyone ever done that and if so what do I need to be aware of?
Is fuel available up 129?
Thanks in advance.
Badrider likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-20-2018, 07:51 PM

I was stationed in the UP many years ago (1977)
Marquette...... Last visit 1983. I can't help with trip planning but please post pictures... Beautiful country......
MotownWing likes this.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-20-2018, 11:17 PM

I can't answer your questions, but I lived up there for far too long when I was a child and as a young adult. It's definitely a place to visit, but not live. There are so many beautiful places going out towards Lake Superior from Gogebic County. If I had a choice and I wanted to visit there again, I'd go in the fall. Breathtakingly beautiful when the leaves change. July...well, I hope the mosquitoes don't carry you away. Just hang tight to your Wing. I don't think they can carry that much weight. I'm pretty sure anyway. Try some back roads in Gogebic county and in Iron County Wisconsin. Very, very pretty and plenty of lakes. Especially up by Gile, Wi which is just the other side of the Mi/Wi border.
MotownWing likes this.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-21-2018, 08:29 AM

Looking at the loop you are talking about on google map, it doesn't look like there are any gas stations along 129. There is one in Thessalon before you head north to Chapleau, which is 140 miles. Then over on 101 to 17 be sure to stop again at Wawa. That will get you back to Sault St. Marie. Looks like a great loop.

I just took a ride north of there on 11 across Ontario. I cut it a little fine coming into Nipigon and kept it to the speed limit the last 1/4 tank and made it with maybe a few drops to spare. So plan it right.
MotownWing likes this.

Mark
It matters not how good you are if an angel pees on the flintlock of your musket. Old German Military saying.
2010 Honda GL1800
GWOF IB Hat #1 with WARWGN
IDMWT #86

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-21-2018, 11:19 AM
Lifetime Premium

I was there a few years ago, but not sure about the gas on 129. In Wawa we took some nice pic's in front of the giant Canadian geese, and had to stop into Timmins to see where my girlfriend Shania Twain was from. Heading away from Timmins was another story, being surrounded by spruce trees lining both sides for miles.
fossil92 and MotownWing like this.

Every man dies, not EVERY man truly LIVES!
Steve
GWRRA
1980 CB750 * 1979 GL1000 * 1982 GL1100 *
2000 GL1500 * 2009 GL1800 Airbag
IDMWT #99 (Finally admitted because I like the sound of #99)
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-23-2018, 06:55 PM Thread Starter

I know what you're saying, it is beautiful up there. The first time we went, we stayed on Lake Gogebic in a cabin and you're right abou the skeeters, they were like B52's coming at ya. That trip we went as far west to Wisconsin then cut up up through Houghton/Hancock and up to Copper Harbor. Doesn't look like we'll be able to get in to Houghton though, they recently had 8" of rain in a very short amount of time and roads are washed away along with huge sink holes, like 6 feet deep and enough to swallow up the Wing. Going to try and see if we can make it though, just to see how bad it is.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-23-2018, 07:02 PM Thread Starter

Crownfire, I remember you talking about heading up that way, how was your trip? We've noticed the same thing and realized Thessalon might be the only gas stop before we head north. Looking at a couple of cabins up that way to stay, they sure look nice. Did you run across any Moose or wildlife?
If we like it up that way, we might spend more time there than in the UP. But, there are areas that we flew through last time, so it's more of fill in the blanks this time. We have the perimeter of the UP covered and want to cover the interior.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-24-2018, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotownWing View Post
Crownfire, I remember you talking about heading up that way, how was your trip? We've noticed the same thing and realized Thessalon might be the only gas stop before we head north. Looking at a couple of cabins up that way to stay, they sure look nice. Did you run across any Moose or wildlife?
If we like it up that way, we might spend more time there than in the UP. But, there are areas that we flew through last time, so it's more of fill in the blanks this time. We have the perimeter of the UP covered and want to cover the interior.
An awesome trip. Here's my report;
https://www.goldwingowners.com/forum...adventure.html

We did see a couple moose, but from a distance. Not much in Ontario, but we made sure to be somewhere well before dark.

Mark
It matters not how good you are if an angel pees on the flintlock of your musket. Old German Military saying.
2010 Honda GL1800
GWOF IB Hat #1 with WARWGN
IDMWT #86

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode