Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

2018 Trunk isn't big enough for a helmet?

8K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  slowrollin 
#1 ·
My best friend picked up his new white 2018 Goldwing Tour last weekend and it's a beautiful bike but the size of the trunk is really throwing us for a loop. The bike is advertised as being able to hold 2 helmets, but we can't even get the lid to close down on 1 helmet. Granted, he did get the luggage rack installed and you loose a few mm's due to the screws from the inside of the trunk liner, but it shouldn't be enough to keep you from putting a helmet in there. He has tried a Shoei RJ Platinum R, a Shoei J-Cruise, and my Arai XC. His helmets are size 2X and my helmet is size L. We tried them in every position we could think of with no luck. Anyone else having this problem or figured out the trick to getting the helmets in the trunk?

Thanks!

#2 · (Edited)
Looking at a 2018 yesterday, my XXL Shoei Neotec fit.
Standing up as normal (top up), it fit in the center, and it fit with the face shield pushed into the top right corner.

The 2018 trunks are hard to close when brand new. I closed the lid, then put the heel of my hand on the "HONDA" logo, finger under the lip, and squeezed the trunk closed.

#4 ·
I've only put my helmet in my '09 trunk once in 9 years...would never be an issue for me with an '18.

#5 ·
LOL, how do you guys manage on a trip when all three compartments are full?

Reactions: Rusty360
#6 ·
Use the rack on top of the trunk, or the rack that fits into the trailer hitch receiver, or use the trailer. Don't carry more than you need. 2 - 3 days of underwear, 2 pair of jeans and a couple of shirts.

After flying in small planes for many years, my wife and I have learned how to travel LIGHT!!

#9 · (Edited)
so, here you go, proof.

Left helmet is a large HJC 33ii Niro and right is a medium Shoei Multitec.

The 1st pic the Niro is in the bag.

3rd pic.....The pic posted with the Shoei and the shuberth helmets I saw somewhere on here that Shuberth looks HUGE.

So yes it’s a tight fit...but you can get two helmets in there.

Attachments

This post has been deleted
#11 ·
There is no doubt that the helmet holder for the 2018 model is a sick joke and a real pain in the arse. As to putting helmets in the trunk I almost never do so it's a moot point to me. I've yet to have any issues with leaving our lids on the rear seat section (under our jackets as well) anywhere we've gone. We left our gear on the bike for two hours last year at Watkins Glen and nobody touched a thing. Just lucky maybe but it's never been a worry for us.

Reactions: fossil92
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.