2018 Trunk isn't big enough for a helmet? - Page 2 - Honda Goldwing Forums
 16Likes

post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-27-2018, 05:02 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to mantincp
The Dealer showed me the "Honda recommended" way to fit two helmets in the new Wing topbox/trunk. Both helmets on their side with the openings facing each other and the helmet tops going out to the left or right side. The helmet fronts (shields) facing the front of the bike. I didn't try it, as I was just out there for a test ride, but it looked fairly small for two helmets. If a 2018 owner is out there, give it a try and post a photo.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-27-2018, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantincp View Post
The Dealer showed me the "Honda recommended" way to fit two helmets in the new Wing topbox/trunk. Both helmets on their side with the openings facing each other and the helmet tops going out to the left or right side. The helmet fronts (shields) facing the front of the bike. I didn't try it, as I was just out there for a test ride, but it looked fairly small for two helmets. If a 2018 owner is out there, give it a try and post a photo.

We tried every which way with our Schuberth and Shoei but no way would they fit.

Our friends wear Shark Evo and they tried them in every possible position, front up front down, facing each other etc etc but they would NOT fit into the trunk !!

Best to try your own helmets and see for yourself, IT'S A SMALL TRUNK WHEN YOU COMPARE IT TO THE OLD MODEL GL1800 !!
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-27-2018, 07:55 PM

Garage
This is my first Goldwing so I don't know any better as I have always carried my helmet. On that note, there is no way I would lock a helmet on the side of the bike as that is a good way to get it stolen by anyone with a pocket knife. I wear a large Neotec II and even though I will be the only one on the bike most of the time and while I could put the helmet in the trunk, I will still probably carry it around as I prefer to let the helmet air out and dry up a bit before I put it back on.

Current - 2018 DCT Tour (White/Black) #899 and added OEM Fog Lights, XM Antenna, Centramatic Wheel Balancers, Rivco Aero Pegs, PathBlazer Headlight Modulator, Trunk Mat, Trunk Organizer, Saddlebag Liners, Beadrider Seat Mat, Kuryakyn ISO Grips, Utopia Backrest, F4 Windshield, and Tool Kit

Past Rides:
Yamaha 250, 400
Kawasaki 600, 750, ZX-7, ZX-10, ZX-11
Suzuki GSXR 1000

post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-28-2018, 01:45 AM

I guess I must be a bit more trusting of folk but we always hang our helmets on the 2 helmet hangers on the underside of the trunk, on our Old Model GL18 of course.
Been doing it for 20years and never had any sort of problem with it.
When we're touring and the trunk is full of luggage the helmet hangers are VERY convenient and it means we dont have to walk around carrying our helmets. Probably more chance of damaging the helmets when carrying, or leaving them on the floor or table etc than leaving them securely attached to the bike.

Its a shame Honda have removed this facility from the new Wing. I know its only a small thing but it 's one of the features that made the Old Model Goldwing stand out from the crowd and helped make it the best 2 up touring bike money could buy

The helmet lock on the new Wing is not an improvement , its worse than the previous system. Here's a pic of it -
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HelmetLatch.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	256523  
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-28-2018, 09:55 AM

Garage
I am sure someone will come out with an aftermarket part to make it more user friendly. I know guys that have had their helmet stolen, had drinks, and half eaten hamburgers stuffed down in their helmets when they returned to their bike. I paid about 1k for my current helmet so if I don't put it in the trunk, I will always carry it with me.

Current - 2018 DCT Tour (White/Black) #899 and added OEM Fog Lights, XM Antenna, Centramatic Wheel Balancers, Rivco Aero Pegs, PathBlazer Headlight Modulator, Trunk Mat, Trunk Organizer, Saddlebag Liners, Beadrider Seat Mat, Kuryakyn ISO Grips, Utopia Backrest, F4 Windshield, and Tool Kit

Past Rides:
Yamaha 250, 400
Suzuki GSXR 1000
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-29-2018, 04:32 AM

so, here you go, proof.

Left helmet is a large HJC 33ii Niro and right is a medium Shoei Multitec.

The 1st pic the Niro is in the bag.

3rd pic.....The pic posted with the Shoei and the shuberth helmets I saw somewhere on here that Shuberth looks HUGE.

So yes it’s a tight fit...but you can get two helmets in there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	D8852F40-98AB-4370-92DB-FA25EE7F30D4.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	19.4 KB
ID:	256549   Click image for larger version

Name:	8DE32E1D-DB71-4E29-9E08-56FD2352804A.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	20.0 KB
ID:	256551   Click image for larger version

Name:	5587899F-E87D-4DA5-AF06-CA0864BF7B4E.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	11.8 KB
ID:	256553  

Mark

2018 Goldwing Tour DCT Candy Ardent Red
'07 Trekker DL185 Trailer
AMA Member

DSi # 563 IDMWT #14
Riding soothes my soul.....

Last edited by W1ngin1t; 06-29-2018 at 04:41 AM.
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-29-2018, 04:54 AM

What I'm learning is, if I go to Southern California, don't leave the helmet on the bike seat like I do everywhere else.

Mark
It matters not how good you are if an angel pees on the flintlock of your musket. Old German Military saying.
2010 Honda GL1800
GWOF IB Hat #1 with WARWGN
IDMWT #86

post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-29-2018, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W1ngin1t View Post
so, here you go, proof.

Left helmet is a large HJC 33ii Niro and right is a medium Shoei Multitec.

The 1st pic the Niro is in the bag.

3rd pic.....The pic posted with the Shoei and the shuberth helmets I saw somewhere on here that Shuberth looks HUGE.

So yes it’s a tight fit...but you can get two helmets in there.
Hi, that Schuberth is mine and is a XL size and the Shoei is a XS size.
They do NOT fit in the new Wing trunk but it is possible to fit some brands helmets in there DEPENDING ON THE HELMET SIZES, IF YOU WEAR AN XL SIZE YOU WILL ONLY FIT 1 HELMET IN THE NEW MODEL TRUNK.

The helmet hanger which is now fitted to the new Wing is, I was told by a Honda rep, made for the helmets with the D RING type fastener and not the ratchet type as used on the Schuberth and Shoei.
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-29-2018, 10:20 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by crownfire View Post
What I'm learning is, if I go to Southern California, don't leave the helmet on the bike seat like I do everywhere else.
Actually, I have seen people that had far more issues in Virginia Beach than they have had out here in SoCal. Unfortunately, people can be very vindictive and damage your property. I don't take my Corvette anywhere that I can't keep an eye on it. My neighbor bought a new Challenger and I told him to be careful with leaving it in parking lots or others areas away from his control as young folks these days like to damage things for kicks. He told me he was not worried about it...until he came over to the house a few weeks ago and told me he left his car over at a friends house while they all went out and when he got back to the house someone keyed his car. It was not just a straight line that you might see with someone walking past the car. It was scribbled all over and he will need to paint the entire car to fix it properly. First thing he said when I answered the door is that he should have listened to me. Some idiot walked through a local Ford dealer a few weeks ago with a sprayer full of paint remover and just walked down the line in the middle of the night spraying trucks and ruined dozens of them. Again, not advising people not to put helmets on the side of their bike if that is what they like; however, I know I won't do it as I just don't trust others to respect people's property these days.

Past Rides:
Yamaha 250, 400
Suzuki GSXR 1000
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-29-2018, 10:41 AM
Administrator

Garage
There is no doubt that the helmet holder for the 2018 model is a sick joke and a real pain in the arse. As to putting helmets in the trunk I almost never do so it's a moot point to me. I've yet to have any issues with leaving our lids on the rear seat section (under our jackets as well) anywhere we've gone. We left our gear on the bike for two hours last year at Watkins Glen and nobody touched a thing. Just lucky maybe but it's never been a worry for us.
fossil92 likes this.

grab all the kicks you can baby, you only make this scene once!
current rides: '09 GL1800AD "SENSHI"; 2003 RVT1000r (RC51) track bike... certified m/c addict. IDMWT #12. GWRRA #028890
Daryl
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode