Touchy throttle - Honda Goldwing Forums
 8Likes

post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-14-2018, 04:57 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Touchy throttle

Well it has been almost a month with my new (to me) 2016 Wing. I have put over 800 miles on her. Sadly I tested the tip over bars this morning. They worked! And I didn't pull anything lifting it back up.

One thing that I have a hard time with is shifting smoothly. I have played with the clutch adjustment but I find the throttle very touchy. The other thing I noticed is it seems there is a lot of play in the throttle. I wonder if it is possible to adjust??? I stopped at the local Honda dealer and no one knew the answer. Silly me for not asking here first! I thought maybe it might help with smoother shifts if I could take some of the slack out. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

John

'16 GL1800A
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-14-2018, 05:09 PM

Garage
look at the following web site, choose your year and bike, then look at the view of the "handle switch"

you can look at the exploded view, #1 is the throttle cable, you can see a few possible places to adjust the cable.

www.hondapartshouse.com

If you have any drop off of speed (lag time) before the cruise takes over, good sign of needing cable adjusted.

There are some good you tube videos showing how to do it......not hard
johnusmcret likes this.

IDMWT member #80
Never walk, when you can ride!

current ride : 2013 GL1800 Audio Comfort

Darkside Yokohama Avid ENVigor 195/55 R16
non-runflat
Double Darkside Bridgestone BT45 Battlax Front

Past rides: '98 GL1500SE
'03 750 Kawasaki Vulcan
'81 850 Suzuki
'80 550 Suzuki
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-14-2018, 06:02 PM

You can adjust the throttle cable by loosening the lock nut on the cables. You should only have less than a 1/4 inch slack on the throttle Another thing to try is starting out in second gear. The Wing has more than enough torque to pull out in second.
The adjustment wheel on the clutch handle doesn't really adjust the friction point of the clutch, it adjusts the position of the handle.
Chopin, dsurley and johnusmcret like this.

2012 GL1800

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-14-2018, 06:30 PM
Lifetime Premium

I have no play in my throttle since I adjuster the cable. Some like a little play , some like no foreplay.

Sent from my E6830 using Tapatalk
crownfire, Eric and jcsouders5464 like this.

Lee.
Darksider since I finally saw the Light.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-15-2018, 11:55 AM
Administrator

Garage
Since the PGMFI looks after all throttle action, the cable adjust will only deal with slack, not activation. I have never had an issue with my '09 being jerky or anything like that. As the gang has mentioned, the cruise is a bit of an issue with lag on many of the bikes, but I just live with mine, it's only a second or so so I can handle it. Next time I change the air filter I may adjust it but I'm not undoing the tupperware just for that.

Yeah, the crash guards to a great job on a tipover!

grab all the kicks you can baby, you only make this scene once!
current rides: '09 GL1800AD "SENSHI"; 2003 RVT1000r (RC51) track bike... certified m/c addict. IDMWT #12. GWRRA #028890
Daryl
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-15-2018, 12:35 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnusmcret View Post
Well it has been almost a month with my new (to me) 2016 Wing. I have put over 800 miles on her. Sadly I tested the tip over bars this morning. They worked! And I didn't pull anything lifting it back up.

One thing that I have a hard time with is shifting smoothly. I have played with the clutch adjustment but I find the throttle very touchy. The other thing I noticed is it seems there is a lot of play in the throttle. I wonder if it is possible to adjust??? I stopped at the local Honda dealer and no one knew the answer. Silly me for not asking here first! I thought maybe it might help with smoother shifts if I could take some of the slack out. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Did you drop it. Or did you lay it over. If you dropped you may want to claim your IDMWT #
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-15-2018, 03:04 PM

Location: Ranch outside Bertram, TX about 80 miles north of Austin.
First gear is extremely jumpy when it comes to starting off. I think it can be both un nerving to both the driver and passenger. And I have been in situations where it was down right dangerous. SO, years ago I started using second gear and I have had no problems. As stated earlier, the 1800 has way more than enough torque to handle this technique. Try it, you'll like it.... Isaac

No river is shallow to a man that can't swim..

2007 GL 1800 (VA)
2005 Yamaha FJR 1300
Isaac
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-15-2018, 06:22 PM

I've always found first gear to be 'jerky' as well. I have started in 2nd gear (accidentally did this morning in fact when I forgot to downshift) but I find I get up too much speed too soon and if I'm making a right turn from the stop, I end up making the turn exceptionally wide (I'm sharp right turn challenged as it is). So it's first gear starts for me, jerky or not.

2006 Honda GL1800
2012 Ural Patrol

Previous bikes:
2010 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Classic
1983 Suzuki GS850G
1982 Yamaha Vision 550
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-16-2018, 11:42 AM

So I got my 2008 GL1800 about 4 weeks ago and haven't been (cruising around town) out yet. I have been working with just getting adjusted to the friction zone of the clutch. I too have been having a hard time getting smooth shift to second gear, so please keep the comments up.
Also have GL1100 big differences in the power.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-16-2018, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceman7015 View Post
So I got my 2008 GL1800 about 4 weeks ago and haven't been (cruising around town) out yet. I have been working with just getting adjusted to the friction zone of the clutch. I too have been having a hard time getting smooth shift to second gear, so please keep the comments up.
Also have GL1100 big differences in the power.
From 1st to 2nd you are going through neutral. Try to pre-load the shifter slightly before pulling the clutch.You can do this in all the gears. Makes for smoother shifting.

2012 GL1800
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode