Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Touchy throttle

7K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  Anchor3593 
#1 ·
Well it has been almost a month with my new (to me) 2016 Wing. I have put over 800 miles on her. Sadly I tested the tip over bars this morning. They worked! And I didn't pull anything lifting it back up.

One thing that I have a hard time with is shifting smoothly. I have played with the clutch adjustment but I find the throttle very touchy. The other thing I noticed is it seems there is a lot of play in the throttle. I wonder if it is possible to adjust??? I stopped at the local Honda dealer and no one knew the answer. Silly me for not asking here first! I thought maybe it might help with smoother shifts if I could take some of the slack out. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

#2 ·
look at the following web site, choose your year and bike, then look at the view of the "handle switch"

you can look at the exploded view, #1 is the throttle cable, you can see a few possible places to adjust the cable.

www.hondapartshouse.com

If you have any drop off of speed (lag time) before the cruise takes over, good sign of needing cable adjusted.

There are some good you tube videos showing how to do it......not hard

Reactions: johnusmcret
#3 ·
You can adjust the throttle cable by loosening the lock nut on the cables. You should only have less than a 1/4 inch slack on the throttle Another thing to try is starting out in second gear. The Wing has more than enough torque to pull out in second.
The adjustment wheel on the clutch handle doesn't really adjust the friction point of the clutch, it adjusts the position of the handle.

#5 ·
Since the PGMFI looks after all throttle action, the cable adjust will only deal with slack, not activation. I have never had an issue with my '09 being jerky or anything like that. As the gang has mentioned, the cruise is a bit of an issue with lag on many of the bikes, but I just live with mine, it's only a second or so so I can handle it. Next time I change the air filter I may adjust it but I'm not undoing the tupperware just for that.

Yeah, the crash guards to a great job on a tipover!

#6 ·
Did you drop it. Or did you lay it over. If you dropped you may want to claim your IDMWT #

#7 ·
First gear is extremely jumpy when it comes to starting off. I think it can be both un nerving to both the driver and passenger. And I have been in situations where it was down right dangerous. SO, years ago I started using second gear and I have had no problems. As stated earlier, the 1800 has way more than enough torque to handle this technique. Try it, you'll like it....:grin2: Isaac

#15 ·
HI - I've had this issue with a dangerous lurch when I really want a smooth low-end come-on of power, so I searched for the answer, and found it!

Here was the reason - the same force which pulls the throttle cable is pushing as it rotates - and the contacting surfaces are not slick.
Here is the simple solution - oil - take the little cap off the end of the throttle grip and cover most of the end with your thumb as you put a little oil, and then a bit of WD40 to make it run along inside the mating tubes. Turn the bars to the left so the end is high, and put the little cap back on and wipe up any drips.

Now fire it up and try creeping the rpms up from idle - it will be so much better - no need for any major disassembly.

If you have messed with the cable adjustments, reset that with a little free-play.

Now, the bike will feel faster and more nimble too - and now you can work on forgetting that fear of low-speed maneuvers.

#8 ·
I've always found first gear to be 'jerky' as well. I have started in 2nd gear (accidentally did this morning in fact when I forgot to downshift) but I find I get up too much speed too soon and if I'm making a right turn from the stop, I end up making the turn exceptionally wide (I'm sharp right turn challenged as it is). So it's first gear starts for me, jerky or not.

#11 ·
So I removed most of the slack from the cable as advised. There might be a slight more left, but I am almost to the end of the travel of the adjuster nut. It makes a big difference.

My problem isn't starting out. I find it smoother starting off in first (or second) than it is shifting into higher gears on the fly. Again, I think this is something I will just have to practice. I do find that if I ease the clutch out it makes a smoother shift, but I am afraid this will wear out the clutch sooner than necessary??? I feel like a teenager again when first learning to drive a standard transmission in my dad's Pinto wagon!

Thanks for the advice.

#12 ·
I was beginning to think I had a problem. I purchased mine used. I also notice sometimes there is a little bog down like it’s flooding when trying to drive at slow speeds. RPM are ok and not choking down but seems like it is. Cruse works better than trying to control speed by throttle.

#13 ·
the second Gen wings have a inherent problem when cold. The engine hesitates at low RPM.
You could try to reset the ECM:
Start the bike cold, and let it idle until the fans turn on without touching the throttle. This may take a while, be patient. Then shut the bike off and see if it helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.