New Lid - Shoei Neotec 2 - Honda Goldwing Forums
 8Likes

post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-09-2018, 04:42 PM Thread Starter

New Lid - Shoei Neotec 2

Lately my RPHA Max from the last 5 years has been really bugging my head, in the front. I figured it was time to get a new one, and vowed this time to get one that fits well. I really like my Shoei 3/4 that I wear riding around home, so a few weeks ago went and tried on a Neotec 2 XXL (same size as my RPHA). It felt good, really good, but too loose and they didn't have an XL. Called them today and they had one so went in and tried it on. Feels just right and I did the deed!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Shoei.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	255697

Decided to splurge and replace my old Sena SMH10 with the built to fit SRL at the same time. Maybe not the best value for the money, but I've gotten 6 years out of the old one so if this performs as well I'm ok with the cost. Slick unit. I've broken a couple of boom mikes slamming them in my RPHA face guard; that won't happen anymore with the short/integrated boom:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Shoei open.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	255699

The speakers also snap into shallows made for them in the foam - no velcro needed to hold them in place. Since they're mounted into hollows made for them, there's a nice space between my ears and the speakers. Typical Sena, it paired right up with my phone and SM10 for the ride home from the city. The helmet still felt very good when I got home and forehead wasn't aching. Yes!!

The mechanism for both the chin bar and the visor feel significantly more sophisticated than my old helmet. When the visor is closed, it does so with an authoritative snap which I'm betting will bar any rain from getting in.

The quick connect strap will be appreciated as well. I have one on the 3/4 I wear on the Ural and it was awfully easy to get used to. Apparently the internal sunshield comes down and goes up via a cable mechanism. No springs to wear out. Seems to work well and although I wish it came down even farther, it's more than my old helmet and might let me go without wearing sunglasses - we'll see. Very plush feel to the liner, just like my other Shoei.

I'll try and remember to update this once I've gotten out for a few longer rides, but I think I'm really going to like this lid.

2006 Honda GL1800
2012 Ural Patrol

Previous bikes:
2010 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Classic
1983 Suzuki GS850G
1982 Yamaha Vision 550
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-09-2018, 05:20 PM

Congrats! Great choice! Iím going on my my 3rd year with my Shoei Neotech 1 and can hardly wait another 2 years replace it with another Neotech. Only drawback is that we have the Cardo Packtalks and have heard that because of the integrated Sena setup, our units would have to mount further back with the stick-on mounts. Not thrilled about that but we shall see. Keep us updated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-09-2018, 09:56 PM

Garage
Neote 2

Just took my new Neotek 2 out for a spin today. The wife and I took a short run ( aprox 100 miles) and the helmet felt terrific. Felt like I had been wearing it for yrs, very comfortable and the comm system (SRL) works perfect. This is my first step from a 3/4 to a modular. It was a very hot day here in NC and I did feel the heat when stopped for traffic, but on the move it was very comfortable and great air flow. What I think I might do is purchase a skull cap to wear under the helmet to keep the sweat from building up on some of the extreme hot days down here in the south. Good luck with your new purchase, I am sure you will enjoy it and get many yrs of good use from it.

UPDATED TODAY June 15, 2018.... See my other posting regarding the issues with a major design flaw, for me that is and possibly others.... The SRL unit does not have the capacity to transmit CB audio, only receive when used with the Sena Frewwire. I thought I was having some issues (operator error) but after talking to SENA technical support they informed me that is one minor shortcoming in the system. Well for me it is not minor because I do use the CB radio with the groups I ride with. Hoping the local dealer where I purchased it will take it back. Otherwise I have a $1000.00 doorstop.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Retired From Long Island NY
Now residing in Stokesdale, North Carolina

2014 Black Goldwing
AKA "Miss Money Penny"
Traxxion Suspension

Last edited by Bigdealwriter; 06-15-2018 at 12:06 AM. Reason: update

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-09-2018, 10:55 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to Madrussian
Welcome to the club! I got regular neotech and Neotec 2 just about a month and a half ago. Also replaced Sena 20 S with Sena 30K and so far everything is in perfect working order
Good on you men.!!!

Ralph
Tucker GA

2012 GW blue
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-11-2018, 03:32 PM
Administrator

Garage
Congrats on the new lid Kerry!

grab all the kicks you can baby, you only make this scene once!
[/COLOR]current rides: '09 GL1800AD "SENSHI"; 2003 RVT1000r (RC51) track bike... certified m/c addict. IDMWT #12. GWRRA #028890
Daryl
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-13-2018, 11:09 PM Thread Starter

Finally got out for a ride tonight after 3 days of rain and high winds. Nice evening tonight. A couple more things I noticed about the Shoei - it's MUCH quieter than my old RPHA. MUCH. With the visor down, or even the sun shield the helmet was even quieter. And no rattles at all. My RPHA would always rattle a bit with the visor in a partially up position. Not this one. And after about 1 1/2 hours riding no headache! Think I'm going to like this helmet a lot.

Cantankerous likes this.

2006 Honda GL1800
2012 Ural Patrol

Previous bikes:
1983 Suzuki GS850G
1982 Yamaha Vision 550
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-15-2018, 12:08 AM

Garage
Are you using it with the Sena Freewire and have you tried the CB radio? The SRL does not have the ability to transmit CB audio, a major problem for me.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Retired From Long Island NY
Now residing in Stokesdale, North Carolina

2014 Black Goldwing
AKA "Miss Money Penny"
Traxxion Suspension
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-15-2018, 08:32 AM
Administrator

Garage
Was your RPHA full or 3/4? I'm on my second ff RPHA and they are great on the track....

grab all the kicks you can baby, you only make this scene once!
[/COLOR]current rides: '09 GL1800AD "SENSHI"; 2003 RVT1000r (RC51) track bike... certified m/c addict. IDMWT #12. GWRRA #028890
Daryl
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-15-2018, 11:04 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdealwriter View Post
Are you using it with the Sena Freewire and have you tried the CB radio? The SRL does not have the ability to transmit CB audio, a major problem for me.
I don't have a CB, but I saw your other post on the subject. That's really lame on Sena's part. Hopefully they come out with a software fix very soon. They're usually pretty good about that, but it also means they're releasing products before they're totally ready for market (which they have always done).

Good luck!

2006 Honda GL1800
2012 Ural Patrol

Previous bikes:
1983 Suzuki GS850G
1982 Yamaha Vision 550
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-15-2018, 05:27 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by budoka View Post
Was your RPHA full or 3/4? I'm on my second ff RPHA and they are great on the track....
It's a modular. RPHA Max. It's a nice helmet, don't get me wrong, but the new one seems to be a step up in most ways other than weight (and price!). The Shoei is a fair bit heavier, but not crazily so IMO.

2006 Honda GL1800
2012 Ural Patrol

Previous bikes:
1983 Suzuki GS850G
1982 Yamaha Vision 550
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode