Rear Brake Problem :( - Honda Goldwing Forums
 6Likes

post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-04-2018, 01:32 AM Thread Starter

Rear Brake Problem :(

Hi wingriders,
a problem occured on my bike.
It's a 2014 GL1800 on 23.000 km on taco.
Since now I did not have any issues on brakes.
When the peds are worn out the delaer offered me to replace them with Brembo brake pads. I said Ok.
They installed them and after a while the whistle noise started to come when braking.
They replaced them again but the same noise happened and I decided to replace them with OEM brake pads.
The OEM pads are installed I took the bike and there is the problem.
When I apply rear brake the bike vibrates, shakes, wobble I dont know how I can describe in English.
Next day I returned to the dealer they checked the bike and said that the old brake peds damaged the rotor and they replaced it by themselves.
After the rotor was replaced I took the bike.
There must be no problem now, pads are brand new and OEM, rotor is brand new and OEM.
I ride the bike everything was OK but when I use brakes in city traffic and the system ghets heated the vibration came back on rear brake.
I tried it and found that when the system is cold there is no vibration, when it gets hottter it vibrates on rear brake.
So I went to dealer. They found that the rear rotor is extremely hot and its color is near purple because of over heating.
They took out the rear master cylinder, take the air out in the system, replaced the brake fluid and I took the bike again.
Tried it with cold and hot brakes and there is no problem.
For 2 days
after 2 days past these operations the problem occured again, not on every rear brake use but sometimes it happens.
It only happens when I apply only rear brake. If I brake both front and rear It doesnt happen.
What you suggest me.
By the way, a few months ago my bikes rear master cylinder was replaced under warranty byt the call of Honda.

Emir Dalkıran

Riding with the King !!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-04-2018, 05:10 AM
Lifetime Premium

There is also a Secondary Master Cylinder replacement involved in the recall.

Sent from my E6830 using Tapatalk

Lee.
Darksider since I finally saw the Light.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-04-2018, 06:26 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopin View Post
There is also a Secondary Master Cylinder replacement involved in the recall.

Ohh I did not know that, thanks, I will talk to my dealer and learn if the secondary master cylinder has been changed or not.
Chopin likes this.

Emir Dalkıran

Riding with the King !!!

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-04-2018, 07:19 AM
Lifetime Premium

I believe the secondary master cylinder is located on the front wheel.

Lee.
Darksider since I finally saw the Light.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-04-2018, 08:23 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopin View Post
I believe the secondary master cylinder is located on the front wheel.

I just checked the oem part catalog and you are right. There is a secondary master cylinder located on the front fork.
I will check at the dealer and if I find out that it's not replaced then there is the problem.
last night I looked up on the net and there is lots of unsolved complaints about this issue.
The main concluison is there is air in the system and because of it the brake pads can not touch the disc properly on low pressure brake applies. If you apply front brake or apply more power to the rear brake pedal the pressure increases and the pad touches the disc completely and there is no wobble if not the air in the system prevents the pad to touch the disc and the bike wobbles.
Hope I will figure out soon.
Thanks for your help.
Chopin and jcsouders5464 like this.

Emir Dalkıran

Riding with the King !!!
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-04-2018, 01:47 PM
Administrator

Garage
That secondary recall is also on Honda's dime and it's a safety recall so it has to be done. One thing to remember, the Wing's brake system is designed to be used with both front and rear systems employed. Using just the pedal only activates 1/3 of the whoa power the Wing has. That may be the root source of your heat issue.

grab all the kicks you can baby, you only make this scene once!
current rides: '09 GL1800AD "SENSHI"; 2003 RVT1000r (RC51) track bike... certified m/c addict. IDMWT #12. GWRRA #028890
Daryl
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-05-2018, 03:02 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by budoka View Post
That secondary recall is also on Honda's dime and it's a safety recall so it has to be done. One thing to remember, the Wing's brake system is designed to be used with both front and rear systems employed. Using just the pedal only activates 1/3 of the whoa power the Wing has. That may be the root source of your heat issue.
Sure you are right.
I always combine braking, but in slow speed manevuraes you know you just have to use rear brake to control speed so that's the problem. Otherways while riding more than 40 km/h speed I use mostly front brake to slow down and combine braking to stop immediately.

Emir Dalkıran

Riding with the King !!!
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-25-2018, 07:26 AM Thread Starter

The problem goes on.
I checked that rear master cylinder and secondary master cylinder has been replaced under recall.
Brake pads are new. Rear brake rotor is new. Brake fluid changed and system bleeded.
I found on the net about Rocky bleeding and applied that procedure.
But nothing changes.
I start the bike and it runs ok. After 10-15 km riding in city traffic when I only apply rear brake softly the bike starts to wobble. If I use the front brake wobble stops or if I increase the pressure on the rear brake wobble stops again.
The mechanics at the dealaer can not solve this problem.
This wobble occurs more frequently at hot wheathers.
I bwas counting on that Rocky bleeding procedure will solve the problem but I'm afraid not.
What can I do ?

Emir Dalkıran

Riding with the King !!!
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-25-2018, 09:18 AM

When the brakes are bled, front and rear and the antidive also must be bled. You can not just bleed the rear brake in isolation. There is also a sequence on how and in what order each bleed valve us done.

Terry Dill of San Antonio

It's not the destination, but the getting there.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-25-2018, 02:19 PM

Ok let's think about this for bit. This appears that there is an issue with the rear system. The first thing I want to know is if the Honda brake fluid was used in the bleed process. I would want to make sure DOT 3 brake fluid was used as if it had the Dot 5 synthetic it will swell the seals of the pistons in the rear caliper and the plunger seals in the master cylinder which will cause the pads not to retract and brake pad drag will occur. to fix this a complete rebuild and flush will be needed. If the fluid was DOT 3 fluid then maybe the rear pistons need to be pulled out to be cleanned. A lot of crud will cause the pads to retract slowly and drag. Since this appears soon after the recall process was done I would focus on the fluid used. Also the fluid may have been open for time and may have attracted moisture which may have contaminated the fluid.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode