Rear Brake Problem :( - Page 2 - Honda Goldwing Forums
 6Likes

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-26-2018, 02:19 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TmDILL View Post
When the brakes are bled, front and rear and the antidive also must be bled. You can not just bleed the rear brake in isolation. There is also a sequence on how and in what order each bleed valve us done.
Bleeding procedure is completely done as the service manual offers.
Front and rear caliper valves are bleeded as requested sequence. Also antidive is done.

Emir Dalkıran

Riding with the King !!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-26-2018, 02:24 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Gaeth View Post
Ok let's think about this for bit. This appears that there is an issue with the rear system. The first thing I want to know is if the Honda brake fluid was used in the bleed process. I would want to make sure DOT 3 brake fluid was used as if it had the Dot 5 synthetic it will swell the seals of the pistons in the rear caliper and the plunger seals in the master cylinder which will cause the pads not to retract and brake pad drag will occur. to fix this a complete rebuild and flush will be needed. If the fluid was DOT 3 fluid then maybe the rear pistons need to be pulled out to be cleanned. A lot of crud will cause the pads to retract slowly and drag. Since this appears soon after the recall process was done I would focus on the fluid used. Also the fluid may have been open for time and may have attracted moisture which may have contaminated the fluid.
Something interested happened yesterday.
In the morning while bleeding the system mechanic used DOT 4 Motul brand brake fluid. After the process I tested the ride but the problem was still there.
I was lack of hope and left the bike at the shop and come to work.
After work I went back to dealer.
The mechanic changed the rear master cylinder and installed the cylinder which was changed at the recall.
This time he used Honda brand brake fluid which is also DOT 4 and I took the bike.
So far the problem did not occur.
But I dont want to talk early. Sometimes after a while wobble comes back.
Yesterday after I took the bike rode approximately 20 km in the city and parked at home. This morning I came to work 15 km.
Finger crossed ıt dıd not wobble.
Maybe the problem was the master cylinder itself.
It was changed under warranty but maybe after the change the bad brake pads I used made to much heat and the master cylinder was broken.
I hope so it is and I never face this problem.
As I said I crossed fingers and continue testing the bike.

Emir Dalkıran

Riding with the King !!!
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-26-2018, 03:17 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
It sounds to me that the master cylinder was defective. Whatever it was, I hope you have no more problems.

2004 GL1800 Bloodstone Red Metallic
1988 GL1500/6 Martini Beige Metallic (Sold)
1984 GL1200 Pearl Saturn Red/Century Brown Metallic (Sold)
1981 Honda CM400T Candy Sword Blue with Metallic Light Blue (Cubed and Recycled)

IDMWT #23
Member #3480

Homo praesumitur bonus donec probetur malus

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-26-2018, 07:12 AM

Emir,

I am happy that the issue may be solved. Did you state they installed the original Master Cylinder? "The mechanic changed the rear master cylinder and installed the cylinder which was changed at the recall." If so it should be replaced with a new one and not the old one due to recall. As for the DOT 4 brand whether Honda or Motrul it really does not matter but I personally believe in the use of Honda brands with regards to brake fluids, brake pads, fork seals, filters or coolant. I use other brands for engine oil (Amzoil-sp?) and fork oil.

Also regarding conditions describing "wobble", "shimmy", "vibration", etc. it is hard to diagnose via the internet. However a simple understanding of what these conditions mean goes a long way to describing the concern, For example, "shimmy" or "wobble" is used to described a wheel having a left to right turning in the wheel mostly felt in the handlebars. Vibration or hop can be used to describe an up/down action of a wheel (front/rear). Sometimes this is by an out of balance or out of round tire/wheel. A better description of the condition/concern of your issue regarding wobble would be needed to allow us to help remotely diagnose that issue. I suspect what you was feeling was a "pulsing" of the brakes in the pedal or lever.

Again, I am happy it appears to be corrected but for a while be aware and ride with caution.

Mark
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-27-2018, 01:50 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Gaeth View Post
Emir,

I am happy that the issue may be solved. Did you state they installed the original Master Cylinder? "The mechanic changed the rear master cylinder and installed the cylinder which was changed at the recall." If so it should be replaced with a new one and not the old one due to recall. As for the DOT 4 brand whether Honda or Motrul it really does not matter but I personally believe in the use of Honda brands with regards to brake fluids, brake pads, fork seals, filters or coolant. I use other brands for engine oil (Amzoil-sp?) and fork oil.

Also regarding conditions describing "wobble", "shimmy", "vibration", etc. it is hard to diagnose via the internet. However a simple understanding of what these conditions mean goes a long way to describing the concern, For example, "shimmy" or "wobble" is used to described a wheel having a left to right turning in the wheel mostly felt in the handlebars. Vibration or hop can be used to describe an up/down action of a wheel (front/rear). Sometimes this is by an out of balance or out of round tire/wheel. A better description of the condition/concern of your issue regarding wobble would be needed to allow us to help remotely diagnose that issue. I suspect what you was feeling was a "pulsing" of the brakes in the pedal or lever.

Again, I am happy it appears to be corrected but for a while be aware and ride with caution.

Mark
Mark,
Thank you so much for the explanation of words wobble, vibration, shimmy and pulsing. English is a great language with lots of words describing different stiuations. I'm trying to learn and use as best as I can
In my situation I think pulsing is the right word as you said but beside pulsing at the rear brake pedal whole of the bike vibrates.
But hopefully it does not anymore.
You are right the dealer installed original master cylinder which has to be changed under recall. I'm thinking as you said to order a brand new master cylinder a few days maybe a week later when I'm certain that the problem is gone and it's all about the master cylinder.
Otherwise I'm thinking that recall was made for the bikes may be affected. So maybe there is a chance that original master cylinder can be OK. Because the bike made 15.000 km with original master cylinder without any problems brake dragging, over heating or etc.
So I'm a little confused about what to do.

Emir Dalkıran

Riding with the King !!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode