Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

After market GPS for Goldwing F6B?

6K views 12 replies 12 participants last post by  Badrider 
#1 ·
Greetings All,

I'm looking for the best of the least expensive after market GPS for the handlebars of my 2016 Goldwing F6B Deluxe. In talking with the dealership Service Manager, he indicated that it was possible to add a Honda GPS system to the F6B but, I'd better be prepared to drop a few thousand to make it work efficiently. THAT.... is way outta my hobby-funds range.

So.... I'm looking for the best of the least expensive options for a GPS on my scooter so that I can do longer runs beyond my short memory of "2 turns to the right and one turn to the left" . :smile2:

Thanks for your advice!

Regards,

Lee (NCDragon)

#2 ·
I have a Garmin NUVI that I have owned for quite a few years. I update it annually and has served quite well both in car and on bike. My model is no longer made but ebay has many inexpensive Gamin GPS units that I believe would work well. I cover mine with zip lock bag in rainy conditions and have had zero problems.:2cents:

Reactions: alwims and dwade
#3 ·
Don't know what you want to spend, but there are some used Zumo 660's amd 665's out there for reasonable prices... Some Nuvi's will work but you'll want one with a headphone output jack so you can interface it into your bike's audio system...

Additionally, you'll probably want to create and load routes into it so that will also narrow the Nuvi choices... Both the 660 and 665 Zumo can do this...

Personally, I use a Zumo 665 and have been quite happy with it for years... It is waterproof, vibration resistant, and also has MP3 and XM capability...

Les

#4 · (Edited)
I have a zumo 660lm on my wing and the Mighty ST 1300, i'll never go back to having to put my gps in a plastic bag. what ever you decide to get make sure is has free map updates

#6 ·
In have a NUVI also, I don't remember what model it is but it is old. I like it because it plays MP3's from a SD card which comes in handy when I'm on my shadow or other bikes without a radio. It plays thru an FM station also. Some NUVI's have Bluetooth and you link them to your cell phone if you want.

#8 ·
I have an older TomTom 2505 with traffic and lifetime map updates. I bought it for my car(s) before I got my wing. I have it mounted on the left handlebar. No bluetooth and not able to plug into the wing's radio system but it shows you where to turn and what the traffic is like.

Someday when I win the lottery I'll get a TomTom Rider or a Garmin.. Right now $600 to $800 is out of my retirement budget.

#9 · (Edited)
For the past year I've been using my iphone 7 with a free app called co-pilot as my gps. Up until this I was a garmin fan and for years used the garmin quest 2 which I liked because I could sit in the family room and pre-plan my route.
I can do the same with co-pilot. You get app updates the same as your other apps so the maps are up to date.
I only went with the iphone 7 because it's water resistant but it will work on other phones as well.
The BEST PART about using co-pilot is that you don't use data when using the gps. The maps load right onto your phone. North America takes up 3gb on the phone.

#10 ·
When I bought my 09 a couple years ago I decided to get rid of my Garmin Street Pilot and get my Zumo 660LM and come into the 21st century. I love the unit and have it hooked up like a buddy of mine has on his wing. About 1500 songs on the built in MP3, mic splitter so I can receive calls and talk through my helmet system, and never have to worry in the rain. Also, you use it on the AUX on the bike, so everything goes through the bike system including the turn by turn instructions which is fantastic.

#13 ·
Not really, but when I'm NOT on the highways, I like to have the music playing on the external speakers. I will have the zumo instructions and CB on the helmet speakers so I can hear properly. This also goes for a phone call if I feel it's necessary to answer.

#12 ·
I've always had Garmin(s) with a Ram mount and they worked well. Not waterproof, but served my needs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.