Riding the DCT; It was bound to happen - Honda Goldwing Forums
 10Likes

post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 06:35 PM Thread Starter

Riding the DCT; It was bound to happen

A few of my buddies have been pining over the DCT since they first heard about it. I was late to the party. I still have fun shifting and I wasn't really a believer until I rode one. But I warned the guys that muscle memory is real. Especially the one in your head. After you've been shifting for 20 years, you just don't forget about the clutch over night. Well, it happened. One of my buddies who already has a deposit down and is waiting for his bike, decided to stop by the shop and get in a free test ride, AGAIN!! One of my other buddies went with him. The salesman put one on the DCT and the other on that new Yamaha Venture. The salesman was on a 2018 manual Tourer. So, they head out and hit the highway. My buddy puts the DCT in sport mode and said he really enjoyed it. Now the problem comes because as they come off the highway and pull up behind the cars at the light, he's still in Sport mode. Shouldn't be an issue, right? He said the salesman was well ahead of him at the stop, so he goes to inch the bike up a bit, but gives it just a bit too much throttle. He panics, and starts reaching for the clutch and the brake, only there ain't no clutch and the brakes didn't stop her right away. He runs right into the back of the Salesman. So now, he's got two demo bikes his insurance has to repair plus he hurt his knee and ankle to boot. Seems like a stupid thing, but it could happen to anybody. And yes, he still wants the DCT when his bike comes in. Can't say I blame him for that. I'm still a believer too!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 06:54 PM
Lifetime Premium

Sport Mode ? How about a Panic Mode ? They have a Mode for every Mood you're in now days.

Lee.
Darksider since I finally saw the Light.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 07:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopin View Post
Sport Mode ? How about a Panic Mode ? They have a Mode for every Mood you're in now days.
Panic mode is only offered on the manual model.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-20-2018, 11:25 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Oh S***!!!!

George Henderson likes this.

2004 GL1800 Bloodstone Red Metallic
1988 GL1500/6 Martini Beige Metallic (Sold)
1984 GL1200 Pearl Saturn Red/Century Brown Metallic (Sold)
1981 Honda CM400T Candy Sword Blue with Metallic Light Blue (Cubed and Recycled)

IDMWT #23
Member #3480

Homo praesumitur bonus donec probetur malus

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-20-2018, 01:11 PM
Administrator

Garage
Every test ride I've ever guided, or ridden as a potential customer has had me nervous for just that reason. Murphy's Law is very real. It also goes to show that there is a learning curve on that DCT model, and it can be very steep depending on the situation. Fossil found that out in Texas too. This ain't yer Grampa's Goldwing.

grab all the kicks you can baby, you only make this scene once!
[/COLOR]current rides: '09 GL1800AD "SENSHI"; 2003 RVT1000r (RC51) track bike... certified m/c addict. IDMWT #12. GWRRA #028890
Daryl
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-20-2018, 01:43 PM
Super Moderator

Oh boy. I know you can't make a decision without riding a bike but I've seen too many instances where the test ride goes bad. I was selling my pristine 74 Yamaha to a friend and watched him climb the curb at the bottom of a hill and end up in someone's lawn. He bought the bike anyway so it saved me from having it repaired. LOL

Charlie
<><
Proud Owner of IDMWT #1
Past rides:
1974 Blue Yamaha TX500
1986 Red Kawasaki Voyager 1200
1998 Illusion Red Goldwing 1500 SE
2009 Silver Goldwing 1800 Audio/Comfort
***(all dropped, all gone, but none forgotten)***
Present:
2003 Electron Blue Metallic Corvette 5.7

Faith is more than believing God can, it's knowing God will.

Elected officials like diapers need to be changed regularly, both for the same reason. Mark Twain
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-20-2018, 02:38 PM

Damn that’s too bad and it is truly re-training your auto instinct as you have described. Hope he heals sooner than later.
I love mine and long term I believe better for many reasons to be on a DCT. And here are my other DCT toys as well and yeah the Harley’s not so much.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6E62A86D-9222-405A-9417-604F0EDA7262.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	20.1 KB
ID:	252682  
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-20-2018, 04:13 PM
Administrator

Garage
Nice fleet there Ice Age. Rubicon Deluxe DCT/IRS/EPS; Pioneer 1000M5C...how do you like the Rubicon?

grab all the kicks you can baby, you only make this scene once!
[/COLOR]current rides: '09 GL1800AD "SENSHI"; 2003 RVT1000r (RC51) track bike... certified m/c addict. IDMWT #12. GWRRA #028890
Daryl
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-20-2018, 07:51 PM

Thank you and the Rubicon is very nice. And I have had all the different brand 4 wheelers over the years. And she’s not the fastest of other ones I have had but the suspension and auto are awesome as well as Good old Honda quality.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-20-2018, 08:18 PM

Have had a couple of "O shit!" moments related to the DCT. After riding the GW for a few rides, then climbing back onto my B-King . Forgot to pull in the clutch and shift down when coming to a stop. Luckily, I pulled my head outa by ass in time to correct the situation. And I am still reaching for the clutch and foot shifter on the DCT occasionally, even after 1500 miles. I love this bike!

Last edited by doxbike; 04-21-2018 at 09:21 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode