To Bluetooth or Not To Bluetooth - Goldwing Noob - Honda Goldwing Forums
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Jinx
  • 1 Post By Bigdealwriter

post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-17-2018, 09:40 AM Thread Starter

To Bluetooth or Not To Bluetooth - Goldwing Noob

I recently (last month) bought a used 2001 GL1800. I have had only 2 chances to ride thus far - the day I bought it and rode it approximately 30 miles to get home. It was 26 degrees outside and I was wearing long johns, multiple shirts, scarf, gloves and winter coat - But I was SMILING! The second time I rode it about 2.4 miles to get to store and back. Since then...SNOW, ICE, FREEZING RAIN!

When I do finally get to ride I will want a headset that integrates with the bike's features - all of them. Generally speaking I will be riding without a passenger and without other bikers. When I do ride with others they will mostly have Goldwings. I have been reading a lot about Sena Freewire and how it is seamless integration to all features of the bike including radio, CB, and intercom. Is there any alternative to Freewire that offers all of these same functions? The Freewire is $250 which doesn't count the cost of the headset. I see mixed feedback about the Freewire working with non-Sena headsets. Sena headsets are $200-300+. Some people say it works with other brands and others say they could not get it working with X (various) headset. I know others have discussed and asked this on other forums as I have been reading those posts and responses. I'm looking for personal experiences especially involving current version/models. Perhaps people who have had a Freewire for awhile. OR people who went another way and have all functions. Is it worth the money? Or is wired still the way to go? Since I don't have either wired or Bluetooth for this bike right now I have to spend money - just wondering how much.

The goal is to be able to hear the bike's systems through my headset, use the CB to talk to other bikers, and be able to pair my phone as well to answer calls. Thoughts and feedback are very much appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-17-2018, 02:54 PM

I use the NCOM B901 blue tooth headset, made specifically for my Nolan helmet. For everything BUT the CB, it works great. Pair it with the phone, take calls, listen to Pandora, listen to Waze. In this mode, I can listen to the CB on the speakers, but I can't talk.

In order to talk on the CB, I have to run a wire from the GW audio port to the back of the helmet. I also have the audio jack under the left glove box extended to the right handlebar, so I can plug it into my phone, and hear Pandora/waze. The Honda system fades out the music when the CB is active.

With this WIRED configuration, you lose the ability to take a call, and you lose the ability to control the phone with the helmet buttons, like to skip a song. Since I only use the wire when I need the CB on group rides, and that's not that often, I'm in full Bluetooth mode most of the time.

If I had it all to do over again, I would definitely consider the whole SENA setup. Unfortunately, I love the Nolan helmet and the blue tooth is made for it, so the fit is perfect. One neat trick, they put a headset battery meter on the phone, next to the phone battery meter. Pretty slick, I think.

Richie
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-17-2018, 04:38 PM

I don't have the Freewire or CB so I can't comment on those. But I do have a pair of the older Sena SMH 10s and love them. I have done the wired route when I first got my 06 , to many broken cables. It is a lot nicer and convenient to go bluetooth. Have ridden with two other riders and a passenger all on Senas was nice to be able to talk to all.
budoka likes this.

2017 Red Level 3
2006 Titanium Level 3
Traxxion suspension
WBRA senior member
IBA member 30028
IDMWT #100
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."
George Bernard Shaw

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-17-2018, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinx View Post
I don't have the Freewire or CB so I can't comment on those. But I do have a pair of the older Sena SMH 10s and love them. I have done the wired route when I first got my 06 , to many broken cables. It is a lot nicer and convenient to go bluetooth. Have ridden with two other riders and a passenger all on Senas was nice to be able to talk to all.

I have the same setup (no CB) and they work great. I have done helmet to helmet on non-Sena one time and it worked. I tried one other time and we didnít connect so Iím at 50% on connecting to Non - Sena headsets.

Steve

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steve

2015 Goldwing NAV/ABS
IDMWT #81
Fredericksburg, Virginia

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-17-2018, 10:42 PM

Garage
I recently added the freewire to my 2014 Goldwing and it works terrific. It connects well and I can use the CB, GPS, music without any isues. I am using the 20s on my helmet and so far have no complaints.
ChiefJoe likes this.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Retired From Long Island NY
Now residing in Stokesdale, North Carolina

2014 Black Goldwing
AKA "Miss Money Penny"
Traxxion Suspension
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 06:38 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdealwriter View Post
I recently added the freewire to my 2014 Goldwing and it works terrific. It connects well and I can use the CB, GPS, music without any isues. I am using the 20s on my helmet
and so far have no complaints.
Thanks for the reply. Sounds like based on the replies Freewire is the only option for full bike functions without wire connection to helmet.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 08:42 AM
Administrator

Garage
I have the 20-s system, but haven't had a chance to test it yet. If winter ever releases its icy grip maybe....

grab all the kicks you can baby, you only make this scene once!
current rides: '09 GL1800AD "SENSHI"; 2003 RVT1000r (RC51) track bike... certified m/c addict. IDMWT #12. GWRRA #028890
Daryl
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 09:49 PM

I have a complete Freewire + Sena 20 that I will sell if you're serious about switching to wireless. I ride frequently with my wife and Freewire just didn't work for me. It was good for the cell phone & others with Sena product riding with me but I purchased a J&M product that was rather expensive but used the hardwire system on my 2007 GL1800. PM if you're interested. I spent the $650 but it didn't work for me.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 11:31 PM

I cannot recommend the Sena Freewire because the speakers that you find that go inside our helmets are very thin sounding. I'd much rather hear the music and Navi through the bikes speakers...all helmet speakers Ive heard suck that bad.
But I do recommend a Sena 30k or something similar. These things pair with your phone and other riders head sets but if you think you are going to enjoy music through helmet speakers you WILL be disappointed and that's why I say the Freewire, though a good idea, executes sound poorly. I think its a waste of money.

2016 LVL2
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-20-2018, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERT1FLORES View Post
I cannot recommend the Sena Freewire because the speakers that you find that go inside our helmets are very thin sounding. I'd much rather hear the music and Navi through the bikes speakers...all helmet speakers Ive heard suck that bad.
But I do recommend a Sena 30k or something similar. These things pair with your phone and other riders head sets but if you think you are going to enjoy music through helmet speakers you WILL be disappointed and that's why I say the Freewire, though a good idea, executes sound poorly. I think its a waste of money.
I wear hearing aids all day everyday EXCEPT when I ride. Even without my hearing aids these sound great. A bit expensive but well worth it for me. http://www.iasuslogistics.com/produc...cts/IAXS3.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode