Rode about 6 miles today-have questions - Honda Goldwing Forums
 16Likes

post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-13-2018, 12:45 PM Thread Starter

Rode about 6 miles today-have questions

Now this is my first goldwing-03 with 52K miles. I noticed a lot of tire/road noise when going into a turn. Is this normal ? Front tire is new-was on when I bought it but the little nubs are still on it. Did make contact with the old owner and he said the dealer installed the tire and put dynabeads inside. No bounce,just road noise and I was wearing a 3/4 helmet with shield,so I'm guessing it was louder if I had my normal 1/2 helmet on.Checked air pressure after the ride-hot-and it read about 41 psi. So I don't think it's the air pressure.

What kind of tire you might ask,dunlop and bridgestone...can't remember which one is on front or back but I'm pretty sure what ever that label in the trunk says thats whats on the bike.

I did notice going into a turn this wing dives right into it.My other bike is a 2016 kawasaki 900 classic LT cruiser and you need to muscle it into a hard turn but it does drive nice and smooth/no road noise until I get it around 65 or more then its all wind and fighting the tears from my eyes-thats where the wing shines,no wind and smooth for me till around 75,after that not so much fun to drive either but still better than the cruiser.BUT below 65 the cruiser is smoother and more quieter. I did not expect that and perhaps something is wrong with the wing ?

I'll try more and longer rides on sat afternoon and see if I can get more info on the road/tire noise.I really thought the wing would whisper at the lower speeds....but wow does it have the torque-that was a holy shit moment when all I did was flick my wrist,no downshift needed.

Any advise where to set the memo 1 for just me @ 228lbs......then add grandson for memo 2 add another 130 ? Again its an 03 with 52K miles and looks in great condition.Just looking for a good starting point.

Well I'm off to the garage to see if I still have that antifreeze leak.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-13-2018, 12:50 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
If the rear tire has wear and is a Metzler or a Dunlop E3, you will get a lot of noise in the corners.
Stratman and dsurley like this.

2004 GL1800 Bloodstone Red Metallic
1988 GL1500/6 Martini Beige Metallic (Sold)
1984 GL1200 Pearl Saturn Red/Century Brown Metallic (Sold)
1981 Honda CM400T Candy Sword Blue with Metallic Light Blue (Cubed and Recycled)

IDMWT #23
Member #3480

Homo praesumitur bonus donec probetur malus

post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-13-2018, 12:59 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Harry, like Kerry said noise can be had in both Metz and Dunlops. Dunlops for sure can give you a howl that can be aggravating to some folks.

Not that I would do it on a Wing that was only 2 wheels but for sure that is one thing that the Car Tire guys claim and love is by putting the C/T on the back the noise level is greatly if not completely eliminated.

For myself the noise never really was an issue for me but then again I had a 1500 not an 1800.

PS, be careful out there, loads of crap on the roads yet and man you can't go 20 yards anywhere and not have to dodge potholes.

Whoever said a woman can't make up their mind never met a Male Motorcycle Rider

GWOF IB COUPLE #2

MEMBER GWOF IB TRIO #1/Overall #4

FR #91

post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-13-2018, 01:38 PM Thread Starter

Well, I stayed pretty close to home only traveling on roads that I know well.

1. Front tire was making more noise than rear,or so it seemed.Cold pressure was 36psi...upped it to 39 to try and it is a bridgestone G 709 exedra radial..

2. rear is a dunlop E3 elite about half worn.and its at 42 psi...left that one alone.

So I guess I will need to live with the noise cause my money has run out-bought the bike,got some chrome,new F4 +4windshield,rear speaker kit,fog light kit, highway pegs ....so it is.... what it is.... for now.

Still have a little drip hanging off the bottom from that anti freeze leak where everyone said there should not be any fluid in that area. It comes out of the weep hole but it has slowed down. After todays ride there is one drop hanging on the engine but has not dropped onto the floor. Last time I rode less than half mile and had the floor wet,so its getting better,just can't explain why its there.

Gotta get back to work now but will try another ride Sat afternoon for sure,just some local stuff to see if upping front pressure helped at all.

And I might add the wing sits taller for me. On the cruiser I sit flat footed at traffic lights,but on the wing I am on my toes more times than not,understanding the ground is seldom level...

..I learned the hard way a while back... wearing sneakers , when I stopped at a stop sign, put the feet down and they started to slide on the road dirt.I would have fell over like a dead duck but no traffic was in sight so I gunned it and took off but scared the life right outta me, will never make that mistake again.Boots and (1/2 helmet at least ) always,and I carry a first aid kit when going on rides.
post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-13-2018, 04:13 PM

I rode my 06 kawasaki 900 classic LT for ten years before moving to an 07 Goldwing last month. I agree with your description of the 900 LT. I have a new set of Bridgestones on the GW and I haven't noticed any increase in noise in the turns. I managed to put 600 miles on in the fist two weeks that I had the GW and I have to say it handles much better than the 900.

1968 Honda 350
1979 Honda 750 Four full dress
2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom Classic (for sale)
2007 GL 1800
IDMWT #92
post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-13-2018, 05:45 PM Thread Starter

Pointwithinacircle...how long did it take before you felt you were really getting used to the wing over the classic / I plan to keep my cruiser. It has just under 4000 miles and has a hoppes fairing/windshield,cobra pipes,Ivans flash done on ECU, cobra air intake ,shift / gear indicator, GPS and usb outlets. Just got it all set up,can't part with it now...plus some extra chrome.

I do need some nice weather to ride the wing and get the feel of it. Right now I am still used to the kawasaki and its a BIG change getting on the goldwing. Need more time in the saddle.
post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-13-2018, 06:02 PM

Garage
The half worn rear E3 is most likely the noise in the corners..... always had E3s on my 1500, the older they got, the would start to cup and get noisier and noisier as they wore out. Quiet with new tires for about a year. My 1800 had half worn E3s on it when purchased, lots of road noise in corners. When I put on new tires, I went with the 'Stones and beads in them to keep them balanced. Keeping the tires balanced is the key to keeping tires from cupping on the wing and with cupping comes the noise.

I road a Kawasaki Vulcan for a year before buying my first wing (the 1500) it took ME about 3 months to feel totally confident in all situations, it is such a huge bike. Then when I switched from the 1500 to the 1800 it took me a couple of months to feel the same confidence again. Granted, I am a pretty conservative rider, I think I have an allergy to road rash or something.

On my 1500 I could come to a stop and flat foot the pavement.... but the shape of the 1800 is different.... If I stay back in the seat it is tiptoes, slide a little forward and it is flat footed. I am 6'2" with a 34" inseem

Enjoy your wing, and yep.... lots of torque on demand..... on level road, I usually take of in 2nd gear, not as jumpy.

IDMWT member #80
Never walk, when you can ride!

current ride : 2013 GL1800 Audio Comfort

Darkside Yokohama Avid ENVigor 195/55 R16
non-runflat
Double Darkside Bridgestone BT45 Battlax Front

Past rides: '98 GL1500SE
'03 750 Kawasaki Vulcan
'81 850 Suzuki
'80 550 Suzuki
post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-13-2018, 06:12 PM Thread Starter

OK..my rear tire is starting to cup,so yes that makes sense.

And yes again,I do sit way back in the seat for support for my back-bad disc's at L3,4 and 5,plus S1.

I will try to slide front on the seat when I stop,that may help some.

Good advise. If all goes well I'll be riding in the afternoon sat and I will give this a try.
post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-13-2018, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgun74 View Post
Pointwithinacircle...how long did it take before you felt you were really getting used to the wing over the classic
I'll let you know when that happens. If I can I try to take it out everyday just so I can get used to it. I had so much time on the classic I could just look in a direction and think "go there" and my hands and feet would just do the right thing without me having to think about it. On the GW I am still learning how it feels and what those feelings mean. I spend lots of time in empty parking lots trying to make my figure 8's the same size in both directions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgun74 View Post
I plan to keep my cruiser. It has just under 4000 miles and has a hoppes fairing/windshield,cobra pipes,Ivans flash done on ECU, cobra air intake ,shift / gear indicator, GPS and usb outlets. Just got it all set up,can't part with it now...plus some extra chrome.

I do need some nice weather to ride the wing and get the feel of it. Right now I am still used to the kawasaki and its a BIG change getting on the goldwing. Need more time in the saddle.
My favorite upgrade on the classic was wind deflectors on either side of the front forks. They really helped push the wind around the bike and kept that big windshield from sucking rain, heat and debris up off the road. You can see them in this pic.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180308_161428.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	101.7 KB
ID:	252378  

1968 Honda 350
1979 Honda 750 Four full dress
2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom Classic (for sale)
2007 GL 1800
IDMWT #92
post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-14-2018, 05:51 AM Thread Starter

Yes,I also have the lowers,will try to post pic below. Also a hoppes fairing,and I still get hammered with wind on that bike. Even have leather covers on the engine guard,not much help but it all looks good so I keep it on.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00140.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	252386  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode