2018 Goldwing Manual or DCT? - Page 2 - Honda Goldwing Forums
 18Likes

post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-12-2018, 02:45 PM

DCT all day every day LOL. It’s a whole new learning process for many long term clutch riders. With an automatic you need to be more in tune with ride mode and throttle and brake. In heavy traffic, stop and go you need to be in the Sport Mode. And definitely passenger in back have the Sport Mode on. The Sport mode is much more aggressive and IMO controlling from take off and stoping. It’s all about more right hand throttle and right foot brake. And your youthful and can only imagine what lies ahead for you in technology. Hope this helps and yes go ride them and come to your closure of what fits the seat of your pants. And I like the new Goldwing so much (I have CVO Harley’s as well) I purchased two DCT.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4F0237CF-1AC4-41DE-BF4F-D497660EBF06.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	20.3 KB
ID:	252202   Click image for larger version

Name:	FF5BA092-704B-4A86-86D1-BAC73AE3C967.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	20.0 KB
ID:	252210  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-12-2018, 02:58 PM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by fossil92 View Post
@Badrider , you owe it to yourself to try to demo ride a DCT. They are an amazing machine. I thought for sure that I would not like it but it was awesome. Very controllable, yet smooth, also riding in the different modes changes all the aspects of the gearbox. If a person test rides one and doesn't change to different modes or doesn't try both the manual and automatic features of the gearbox then they are not giving the bike a fair shake and are not really qualified to assess the machine either. Additionally the walking mode of the gearbox, and the hill start assist just adds the icing on the cake.
I definitely would give it a chance and keep an open mind. But it would have to be a fair trial and ride it for at least a day as said. I've been on the odd demo ride like the African with the DCT, but going a few miles in a controlled group of bikes won't do it for me. When Tammy and I were in Vegas 10 years ago I rented a Harley and took it to the Valley of Fire and Hover Dam. They had GL1800's at the time but I wanted the so-called Harley experience. If I took the Wing out, I'm sure I would have bumped up to the 1800 a lot earlier. The experience did make us love the Wing that much more, lol!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0220.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	252218  

Every man dies, not EVERY man truly LIVES!
Steve
GWRRA
1980 CB750 * 1979 GL1000 * 1982 GL1100 *
2000 GL1500 * 2009 GL1800 Airbag
IDMWT #99 (Finally admitted because I like the sound of #99)
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-12-2018, 05:05 PM

A demo ride might not get you the feel you need to make a decision. I guess it’s better than nothing. You get used to the downshifts. It’s almost just like driving a car. If you come to a sudden stop you’ll feel the downshift. If you learn to come in smooth, it shifts smooth. The downshift isn’t aggressive enough to disturb the ride, however it’s noticable. Again, if you come in smooth you won’t notice it.
DesertRat likes this.

post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-12-2018, 06:20 PM

To me, the manual is the only way to go on a bike. It gives you more control, however I have never ridden an automatic bike. My 2 cents.

2010 Honda Goldwing, Grey, Navi, ABS, Highway Boards, Back Rest. Passenger Arm Rests.
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-12-2018, 09:57 PM
Lifetime Premium

Interesting video from the Cruiseman's first impression of the DCT 2018 GW.

Steve
GWRRA
post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-13-2018, 09:02 AM
Lifetime Premium

Here is another video of someone on a 2018 demo ride for those interested to watch.

Steve
GWRRA
post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-16-2018, 04:35 PM

I have extensive experience with various auto clutches. The clutch is one of the essential control elements for a motorcycle. I am a super senior champion level racer and just pulled the radius x from my BETA. Manual is better in everyway for how I ride and what I want out of the motorcycle experience. I think it is a wonderful option for deteriorating skills, physical decline, disability, physical deformity, or those no longer mentally able or interested in to focusing on shifting etc. It is like a trike and allows people to stay on the road. You just give up too much control for my liking but for some it is the right decision. You really need to consider what you want out the ride. If you want the experience, stay manual, if you want the destination go auto.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Last edited by Sol-Invictus; 04-16-2018 at 04:38 PM.
post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-16-2018, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol-Invictus View Post
I have extensive experience with various auto clutches. The clutch is one of the essential control elements for a motorcycle. I am a super senior champion level racer and just pulled the radius x from my BETA. Manual is better in everyway for how I ride and what I want out of the motorcycle experience. I think it is a wonderful option for deteriorating skills, physical decline, disability, physical deformity, or those no longer mentally able or interested in to focusing on shifting etc. It is like a trike and allows people to stay on the road. You just give up too much control for my liking but for some it is the right decision. You really need to consider what you want out the ride. If you want the experience, stay manual, if you want the destination go auto.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Are you sure your in the correct forum? This is the GOLDWING riders forum not the RACING forum lol. How old do you think the actual GW owner is lol. And yeah clutch and shifting manually no doubt gives you that racing feeling. But for many here we didn’t buy the GW thinking we are handicapped LOL. It’s all good and to each his own.
post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 08:31 AM

Garage
I absolutely love the DCT. When I have the urge to "step up the game", so to speak, I ride one of my two Ducati sport bikes. One of them has an up and down quick-shifter.
post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 10:32 PM

Garage
Like you, I am new to the whole touring bike scene (all sport bikes and super motos prior). I got an 18 to push myself out of my comfort zone. Well I went all the way and got a DCT Tour.
I now have over 8,000 miles on it and I genuinely enjoy it. Like others have already said: you will probably enjoy the manual as well.
I think you could actually score a deal if you prefer the manual, but I also think if you got the DCT you could trade it in without getting too pummeled just because Honda isn’t producing enough of them this year (they are aiming for 40%, but the take rate is turning out to be higher from what I understand).
I was just on the Dragon last week and had a blast on it, you will have a great time on either bike. Just depends on what you need to be comfortable.

Sent with aloha
DesertRat likes this.

Sent with aloha
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode