Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

first service ?

3K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  ron1026 
#1 ·
Dealer is telling me I need to have first service done at 600 miles, Owners manual shows first oil change at 4k. I was planning to drop the fluids and filters myself at 1k. Thoughts ?:dunno:

#6 ·
I agree, if they are doing it at no cost go for it. If it is a sticky warranty requirement buy the fluids and filters from them and do it yourself, there will be a record of the product purchase at least. If it isn’t a warranty requirement then I would probably still change the fluids and filters myself just to be sure that there is any wear metal removed from it’s internals, but I can be a little anal.

#7 ·
I can't understand how one can argue with a recommended service at such a small cost compared to the cost of the wing.
Any machine will last longer if you change the oil after a short break in period.
IMO

#8 ·
I did my first service on my '09 at 5500km (3400miles) and switched to Amsoil at that time. Been an annual thing ever since and have usually run about 10k miles on average in those intervals. Oil changes are easy and cheap, so do it yourself. On the 2018 it's a tad more involved (2 drain plugs and a different filter) but still doable.

#9 ·
In my opinion..... the maintenance intervals in the owners manuals were not pulled from thin air. There are reasons behind them. Of course if you read, there are exceptions, usually extreme conditions, heat and stop and go traffic are usually in that list. Being in Texas, I shorten the oil changes to 5000 miles, manual says 8k, and I use dino oil of the type recommended, just not Honda Oil.

#10 ·
Just a note here, looking at the intervals for oil changes , first one is at 4k and the second is at 12k. I will not be waiting that long for sure, but it makes me wonder if the manufacturer states that mileage between oil changes maybe they trust in there motors.

By the way if you don't believe how long between oil changes , the filter change is 16k after initial service at 4k.

Maybe there is a mistake in owners manual . lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.