General Maintenance - Honda Goldwing Forums
 6Likes
  • 1 Post By Behind bars
  • 2 Post By Behind bars
  • 3 Post By Luv2fish

post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-22-2018, 08:12 PM Thread Starter

General Maintenance

I have a 2005 with under 18,000 miles and have had it since October 2015. When my wife surprised me with it, it had about 12,500 on it. I change the oil regularly and shortly after I got it, I had the brake recall done, which I believe they did the brake fluid. My question is - with a trip to the Upper Peninsula of Michigan coming in July, is there any major work that I need to do or be concerned with? Previous owner had replaced tires and I put in new battery.
Thanks in advance.

Last edited by MotownWing; 03-22-2018 at 08:43 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-23-2018, 07:30 AM

Garage
Coolant should be drained and refilled due to its age, not mileage.
Time to flush out the clutch fluid.
A fresh set of plugs won't hurt if it's been started a lot and short trips.
With the age, you should check the air filter. Had a mouse nest in mine when I bought it with 19k on it.

If you know someone who has a borescope or now day an electronic camera you can remove the left storage pocket on the faring and send the camera down thru the air inlet duct and look at the filter. Takes a few minutes to snake it thru but if its clean you just saved a few hours.
I did this for one of the forum riders at a Meet & Greet and it was DIRTY. Next thing you know a few weeks later I was replacing it.
Luv2fish likes this.

Behind "Goldwing" Bars

I'm Claustrophobic so I ride a motorcycle
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-23-2018, 07:36 AM

Because of the age and low mileage I would make sure the tires are fairly new, not more than 5 years old and good tread. Then I would look at the coolant , clutch fluid, and battery.

If all that is in good shape then enjoy the ride.

2017 Red Level 3
2006 Titanium Level 3
Traxxion suspension
WBRA senior member
IBA member 30028
IDMWT #100
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."
George Bernard Shaw

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-23-2018, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinx View Post
Because of the age and low mileage I would make sure the tires are fairly new, not more than 5 years old and good tread. Then I would look at the coolant , clutch fluid, and battery.

If all that is in good shape then enjoy the ride.
If you are going to the UP you better have good tires. Might want to take some extra shocks as well.

Just a way faring stranger
IDMWT#85
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-23-2018, 01:18 PM
Administrator

Garage
Fluids is always a good thing to do, and yes the battery and tire check is also up there. Check your fork seals, and not a bad idea to put the bike up on the center stand and check the steering head bearings for any notchy feel, , same with the front wheel bearings.

grab all the kicks you can baby, you only make this scene once!
current rides: '09 GL1800AD "SENSHI"; 2003 RVT1000r (RC51) track bike... certified m/c addict. IDMWT #12. GWRRA #028890
Daryl
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-23-2018, 06:34 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Behind bars View Post
If you know someone who has a borescope or now day an electronic camera you can remove the left storage pocket on the faring and send the camera down thru the air inlet duct and look at the filter. Takes a few minutes to snake it thru but if its clean you just saved a few hours.
I did this for one of the forum riders at a Meet & Greet and it was DIRTY. Next thing you know a few weeks later I was replacing it.
OK, NOW you done did it. I heard recently that you could get one of those really cheap now days. It wasn't too bad but my wallet still isn't real happy with you.

Bob
2012 ABS "Red Ghost"
IDMWT 65
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-24-2018, 06:52 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NREMTP View Post
OK, NOW you done did it. I heard recently that you could get one of those really cheap now days. It wasn't too bad but my wallet still isn't real happy with you.
Last year a scan tool company I deal with had a sale on a nice handheld one with a 2 1/2 foot lead wire for $29.00. I bought 6 and now own 0. FRIENDS !!!
I really didn't need any because I have a few for the shop but instead of loaning out my good one I could say, Hey look at this for 30 bucks.

The next Meet and Greet in Pa. at the end of May, I plan on going if the back holds up and will bring one along if anyone wants to take their left pocket off and have a look. Really take 5 minutes.
crownfire and Luv2fish like this.

Behind "Goldwing" Bars

I'm Claustrophobic so I ride a motorcycle
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-24-2018, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behind bars View Post
Last year a scan tool company I deal with had a sale on a nice handheld one with a 2 1/2 foot lead wire for $29.00. I bought 6 and now own 0. FRIENDS !!!
I really didn't need any because I have a few for the shop but instead of loaning out my good one I could say, Hey look at this for 30 bucks.

The next Meet and Greet in Pa. at the end of May, I plan on going if the back holds up and will bring one along if anyone wants to take their left pocket off and have a look. Really take 5 minutes.
Sounds like a guy that owns a garage, trying to get into someone's left pocket!

Steve
Chopin, Jinx and Behind bars like this.

Steve

2015 Goldwing NAV/ABS
IDMWT #81
Fredericksburg, Virginia

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode