2018 Goldwing speedometer accuracy ? - Page 2 - Honda Goldwing Forums
 7Likes

post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-11-2018, 04:54 PM

Garage
Thanks for sharing that info with the rest of us.

Bob
2012 ABS "Red Ghost"
IDMWT 65
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-12-2018, 06:28 AM

Yeah I don't think any Goldwings really had that 2 to 5 mile thing, at least none of the ones that I rode
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-11-2018, 04:26 PM

My 2018 Goldwing is spot on, very accurate. Hope this helps

post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-12-2018, 12:00 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by keller1234 View Post
Yeah I don't think any Goldwings really had that 2 to 5 mile thing, at least none of the ones that I rode
Not trying to hijack the thread but my 2008 is off by reading 3mph high with the TomTom GPS showing 60 mph.
Chopin and 823Jim like this.

Mark & Audrey
IDMWT #83
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-12-2018, 09:05 AM
Administrator

Garage
My Garmin reads 2-3 mph slower than the speedo on the bike (at 60 mph). One thing about the higher reading, is it also adds higher than what it should on the Odometer. So if your speedo is out say 3%, then if you show 60k on the odo, it's actually 58,200. Pretty significant in that arena...

grab all the kicks you can baby, you only make this scene once!
[/COLOR]current rides: '09 GL1800AD "SENSHI"; 2003 RVT1000r (RC51) track bike... certified m/c addict. IDMWT #12. GWRRA #028890
Daryl
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-12-2018, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by encmerk View Post
Does motor trend still list speedometer error in their evaluations? You’re talking about devices that are put together using numerous parts that have margins of error in their physical design. Short of digitally offsetting and calibrating each device individually, you’ll never get better than the current level of accuracy. Then there is the need to calibrate often... every time a change is made to the system or on a calendar schedule. I know some devices used in the military for electronics maintenance are calibrated quarterly. This takes a precise standard and a climate controlled facility... too much time, money and effort for a minimal benefit.
You forgot tire wear, pressure and brand. Even a digital can't compensate for those with out frequent re-calibration.

2017 Red Level 3
2006 Titanium Level 3
Traxxion suspension
WBRA senior member
IBA member 30028
IDMWT #100
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."
George Bernard Shaw

post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-21-2018, 10:45 PM

I have 860 miles on my 2018 DCT Tour.
I got the Tour a little over two weeks ago.

I have a Garmin GPS mounted on the left handlebar because I am not enamored with the navigation system that Honda chose for the Gold wing.

On numerous occasions (over the last 800+ miles) I have compared the speeds, and I am glad to say that the analog speedometer, the cruise control speed readout, and the Garmin GPS are within 1 mile an hour of each other.
This seems to be uniformly true through at least 80 mph, which is about as fast as I have gone to date.

I traded in a 2002 Honda Gold wing, and the speedometer uniformly indicated about 4 miles an hour faster than the indicated GPS speed. In fact back in that year, and for several years subsequently, you could buy computer boxes that mounted somewhere in the dashboard that would correct for that difference.

I was never clear whether or not the older Gold wing's odometer shared that same error.

Hope this answers your question.

JG
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-28-2018, 06:41 PM

I have used my Lowerance GPS on my 07, 1980 and my new to me 99 Gold Wings. The closest to GPS speedometer reading is on the 1980? The other 2 are off on the high side about 3-4 mph. Miles have not been checked yet. I had a brand new 1979 back then that was checked by ND Highway Patrol radar. Dead on from 55 to ?? mph. Slightly above speed limits today, and WAAY above back then, HP thought it was rather funny. Teased about giving me a speeding ticket.
crownfire likes this.
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-01-2018, 08:19 AM

Garage
I think everyone in this thread has experienced several issues that can be explained.

First is the uncertainty principal. There is always an error in any measurement of anything that is noted by its statement of plus or minus of some percentage. That percentage is a statement of its precision. When you compare any two measurements of a condition by separate devices they may agree some of the time or one may be higher than the other or lower than the other. GPS speed is even more complicated because it is an inferred result from a calculation of satellite signals. Those signals themselves have a limited precision and the method of calculating the speed inside the GPS unit may use round off procedures during the calculation that affects the final display of the speed of your motorcycle. Then there is the slight delay by the GPS while it is calculating the speed that will never catch up with the instantaneous speed of the motorcycle. Dithering about which one is more accurate is about like searching for snipes.

Second, is the built in offset of the speed shown on your readout by the manufacturer. Ducati is pretty honest about their offset of 8% which was embedded in the owner's manual of my previous 2012 Multistrada. I hate the offsets because on my Ducati I was constantly trying to do the math in my head to figure out how fast I thought I was going. When I ran across Ducati's 8% offset in the owner's manual I was disappointed because I had been telling some of my buddies that the thing had gotten up to 144 mph once when in reality is was probably closer to 132 mph, plenty fast enough. My current 2017 KTM Super Adventure R appears to have an offset too but so far nothing in print by KTM.

So I guess the idea that you can take away from this is don't worry about it too much. Go with the flow of traffic, or if you pass a cop along side the road and his radar doesn't snag you, or your speed on a ride is one that makes you comfortable then you are doing the right speed. Otherwise you will never know for sure how fast you are going.
budoka and Chopin like this.
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-01-2018, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by budoka View Post
My Garmin reads 2-3 mph slower than the speedo on the bike (at 60 mph). One thing about the higher reading, is it also adds higher than what it should on the Odometer. So if your speedo is out say 3%, then if you show 60k on the odo, it's actually 58,200. Pretty significant in that arena...
So, if you are selling your bike with a reading of 100k and the buyer is worried about it only having 97k, he/she won't buy it? It may be significant to you but maybe not to others. I change oil at 8K, oh wait it only has 7,760 I better wait. LOL

Terry Dill of San Antonio

It's not the destination, but the getting there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode