2018 Tour Radio Volume Issues - Page 2 - Honda Goldwing Forums
 8Likes

post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-10-2018, 09:01 AM
Administrator

Garage
I'm finding this thread very interesting. But since I have no actual riding time on a 2018 I can only attest to the static sound output of the system. That certainly rivaled just about any other cycle's sound system I've heard, my '09 and any of my friend's HD's included. I've heard complaints of riders saying the old 1800 sound system sucked, but when mine can be heard over a set of Screaming Eagles (at my normal volume setting) running beside me I can only think that said complainer needs electronic hearing enhancements. My riding buddy said he thought my stereo sounded "awesome" from where he sat on his Ultra. I'd certainly do some adjusting prior to another ride. With all the advancements and tech on the new bike, it's not out of the question that the sales rep you said thought the sound system was weak needs to do some more training on the Infotainment System.

grab all the kicks you can baby, you only make this scene once!
[/COLOR]current rides: '09 GL1800AD "SENSHI"; 2003 RVT1000r (RC51) track bike... certified m/c addict. IDMWT #12. GWRRA #028890
Daryl
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-10-2018, 02:04 PM

Interesting thread. I have to apologize for some of the guys here who are not usually so quick to criticize a guy with a legitimate question. You spend $30k, you want EVERYTHING PERFECT.

Personally, I always have volume issues, but I wear hearing aids, and use a Bluetooth headset, so I'm not qualified to speak to your question.

Sorry, Keller, it you didn't get quite the response you should have.

Richie
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-16-2018, 07:29 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by liflyboy View Post
Interesting thread. I have to apologize for some of the guys here who are not usually so quick to criticize a guy with a legitimate question. You spend $30k, you want EVERYTHING PERFECT.

Personally, I always have volume issues, but I wear hearing aids, and use a Bluetooth headset, so I'm not qualified to speak to your question.

Sorry, Keller, it you didn't get quite the response you should have.
No I really appreciate your input! Thank you

post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-16-2018, 07:33 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by budoka View Post
I'm finding this thread very interesting. But since I have no actual riding time on a 2018 I can only attest to the static sound output of the system. That certainly rivaled just about any other cycle's sound system I've heard, my '09 and any of my friend's HD's included. I've heard complaints of riders saying the old 1800 sound system sucked, but when mine can be heard over a set of Screaming Eagles (at my normal volume setting) running beside me I can only think that said complainer needs electronic hearing enhancements. My riding buddy said he thought my stereo sounded "awesome" from where he sat on his Ultra. I'd certainly do some adjusting prior to another ride. With all the advancements and tech on the new bike, it's not out of the question that the sales rep you said thought the sound system was weak needs to do some more training on the Infotainment System.
Thanks for your comment, and yes that kind of solidifies sittingstill the system sounds great! That's why your friend sitting next to the bike said it sounded awesome, cuz it does! Standing still that is, And again I was perplexed by how loud it was sitting at the dealership, compared to when I'm on the highway just doing barely above 65 and can't hear it under a full face.
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-16-2018, 07:33 AM Thread Starter

Here is more evidence of sound system not adequate, this time from a passengers point of view. Based on this review, would definitely have to upgrade the windshield too!https://youtu.be/MaqtY9lUy0c
post #16 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-16-2018, 11:45 AM
Administrator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by keller1234 View Post
Thanks for your comment, and yes that kind of solidifies sittingstill the system sounds great! That's why your friend sitting next to the bike said it sounded awesome, cuz it does! Standing still that is, And again I was perplexed by how loud it was sitting at the dealership, compared to when I'm on the highway just doing barely above 65 and can't hear it under a full face.
We were actually running SxS at 70 mph when he commented on my sound system. He runs an Ultra with a stage II 103(?) CI mill. All I know for sure is it's loud as heck compared to a Wing. Dunno how he hears anything other than his pipes. I'm a gearhead but not that dedicated to engine noise....

grab all the kicks you can baby, you only make this scene once!
[/COLOR]current rides: '09 GL1800AD "SENSHI"; 2003 RVT1000r (RC51) track bike... certified m/c addict. IDMWT #12. GWRRA #028890
Daryl
post #17 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-05-2018, 12:16 PM

Don’t hold your breath. I traded my 2006 GL1800 for the 2018 DCT/Tour model last month. I wish I never did, so disappointed. Let me tell you the pros & cons.
1- You are absolutely right, my 06 had such better sound and volume that I could hear my music even at 100 mph coming out of my speakers. On my new one I can’t even tell what’s playing crusing at 75 mph. I have adjusted all the settings to max and still no difference.
2- Apple car play keeps disconnecting so I don’t use it anymore.
3- Everytime you start the motorcycle, you have to switch back to Bluetooth, you have to go back in your phone, open up the pandora app and hit play. So freaking annoying. On my 06 I had an aftermarket bluetooth set up through my Aux cable and had no issues,
4- They charge almost $30k for a new one and Honda doesn’t invest maybe $1 to have the switch for your fog lights & homelink already installed on your control panel. I spent a full day taking my new Wing completely in peace’s just to install a fog light. Open up YouTube and search for 2018 Goldwing fog light installation. It is insane how far you have to strip the wing just to replace the dummy switch with the actual fog lamp switch. Honda should be ashamed.
5- While removing parts & peaces, I found almost 1/2 the screws loose on the panels. I was shocked on quality control, I really thought Honda is meticulous with quality, boy was I wrong. I’m actually glad I took it apart, now at least I know all the screws are back on tight.
6- The DCT model....
It has such irratic shifting, if you ride like a grandpa, than the shift points are stable, but if you take off quicker from a stop to change lanes, good luck, the transmission has its own mind.
7- The seat on my 06 was so comfortable, I could ride all day with no problem, the new one has almost no cusion, the maximum is 2 hours and I have to get off and rest before riding.
8- The storage space is so much less, even with the trunk carrier being half the size of the older model, you literally have to pull a trailer if traveling with two people.
9- They took away the two helmet holders from the bottom of the rear trunk and replaced it with only one helmet holder on the left side rear passenger side. It’s a joke.

Overall, they upgraded the look, The front suspension which was the weakest link on the older models, the instrument panel is beautiful, the handle bar switches which was another weak part of the older models.

Honestly, If I could take this thing back and get my 06 back which by the way, it had close to 60,000 miles, I would do it in a heartbeat.
This is my 3rd Goldwing, but the 1st one that really disappointed me, especially with the amount of money I paid.

You live and learn. I should have waited a couple of years to read real rider reviews, instead of watching paid reviews before pulling the trigger.

I’ve included pictures of my old Wing next to my new one that I traded for. Also pictures of how deep you tear the motorcycle apart to install a .50 cents switch.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7E9C0ADF-AA4C-415D-B089-BB2970BDA895_1544033520307.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	20.2 KB
ID:	259737   Click image for larger version

Name:	DD64D0D8-EE8A-4B4A-8216-876176229E84_1544033551081.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	20.0 KB
ID:	259739   Click image for larger version

Name:	C71E0C39-4DDC-4E43-98BE-AD8B4414F12E_1544033576389.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	17.7 KB
ID:	259741   Click image for larger version

Name:	E828ED58-D721-4928-812C-89F6DA79CA0F_1544033619359.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	20.5 KB
ID:	259743   Click image for larger version

Name:	0C7A0C20-4928-4EDA-BDE2-062AA48295D5_1544033648520.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	19.8 KB
ID:	259745  

post #18 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-05-2018, 10:11 PM

Garage
Welcome to the forum, TC55. Thank you for your report on the 2018 Gold Wing.

Bob
2012 ABS "Red Ghost"
IDMWT 65
post #19 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-06-2018, 01:54 AM

I have no issues so far with mine....

But I now listen thru my Cardo PacTalk headset and my Amazon Prime music.

I don’t even use the Wings sound system anymore. The Cardo unit I just speak to it and it changes songs volume etc...

But I understand your frustration.

Saying that, on my ‘08 that I traded in, on day one from the dealership the radio barely worked and nothing from the rear speakers...it ended up being the amp was bad from the factory, Honda made good on it and it worked after that without a hitch.
Luv2fish likes this.

Mark

2018 Goldwing Tour DCT Candy Ardent Red
'07 Trekker DL185 Trailer
AMA Member

DSi # 563 IDMWT #14
Riding soothes my soul.....

Last edited by W1ngin1t; 12-06-2018 at 01:57 AM.
post #20 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-06-2018, 07:56 AM

Garage
Why don't you buy a headset then link it to the 2018 Goldwing through Bluetooth. That way you can hear the radio with the speakers inside your helmet instead of every one else in the vicinity of your motorcycle having to listen to your taste in music. With wind noise and tire noise suppressed by your helmet your experience will be much more enjoyable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode