Is the airbag worth the $$$??? - Honda Goldwing Forums
 7Likes

post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-03-2018, 08:29 PM Thread Starter

Is the airbag worth the $$$???

Looking at an new 18 Gold Wing and am wondering if the Air Bag model is worth the extra money. What do you get for the extra almost $4000 besides an airbag???What is the safety record of the Gold Wing air bag, has it saved lives etc.???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-04-2018, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldog82098 View Post
Looking at an new 18 Gold Wing and am wondering if the Air Bag model is worth the extra money. What do you get for the extra almost $4000 besides an airbag???What is the safety record of the Gold Wing air bag, has it saved lives etc.???
Good question! I didn't get the airbag version, but have wondered if I should have. Ducati makes, or made, a system with the airbag in the jacket that seemed more functional, but who knows?

Alpine, Utah
2018 Goldwing Tour DCT
2015 Ducati Multistrada Tour
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-04-2018, 06:04 AM
Super Moderator

If you check the web there are video's of the Goldwing's airbag deployment. Might give you a sense of how it works which might help you to decide.

Charlie
<><
Proud Owner of IDMWT #1
Past rides:
1974 Blue Yamaha TX500
1986 Red Kawasaki Voyager 1200
1998 Illusion Red Goldwing 1500 SE
2009 Silver Goldwing 1800 Audio/Comfort
***(all dropped, all gone, but none forgotten)***
Present:
2003 Electron Blue Metallic Corvette 5.7

Faith is more than believing God can, it's knowing God will.

Elected officials like diapers need to be changed regularly, both for the same reason. Mark Twain

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-10-2018, 04:33 PM

Garage
I am a retired ER doctor and I just bought a GW with an airbag. 2/3 of fatal MC accidents involve frontal crashes. Without an airbag, just doing 35mph, your body is a missile going head first through the windscreen. Hitting helmet first at that speed onto the side of a car results in severe head injury and/or compression, hyper flexion or extension of the neck = usually fatal. A YouTube video demonstrates it with a dummy. The helmet does not help you. The airbag prevents it. Of course no help with side impacts, rear impacts or off road rodeos.

I have seen hundreds of MC accident victims in my career. The lifeless bodies were almost always frontal crashes.

A lot of people who know my background ask "why would you ever want to risk your life that way?" I ride with my friends at Church - we get to experience God's creation in an exciting and special way. With great fun and fellowship. The enjoyment factor far outweighs the risk; and... my kids are grown
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-10-2018, 05:02 PM
Administrator

Garage
The first airbag deployment accident on a Goldwing was in 2007 in Key Largo, Florida. The rider (dressed in office wear: short sleeve shirt, slacks, and oxfords; no PPE at all) t-boned a car at about 35 mph. The driver pulled out in front of him (imagine that...?) and he hit right behind the driver's door. Bike was totaled and the rider got some bruised shins from the cylinder heads. EMT's asked where the body was when they arrived. He was sitting on the curb, none the worse for wear really. A short time later he bought another Goldwing airbag model. He also wears protective gear now. True story so you can judge for yourself.
Personally, my bike is the airbag model and other than the PITA changing of the air filter and the warnings against using certain bling accessories (rotor covers etc) I'm quite comfortable knowing it's there. However, if I were to get a 2018 model it would probably be a DCT without the airbag given the cost of the unit. On the other hand my life is still worth a few grand so...

grab all the kicks you can baby, you only make this scene once!
current rides: '09 GL1800AD "SENSHI"; 2003 RVT1000r (RC51) track bike... certified m/c addict. IDMWT #12. GWRRA #028890
Daryl
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-10-2018, 06:00 PM

Garage
I tell all my friends that the cost of the airbag is about the same as the cost of a cremation! Pleasant thought
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-12-2018, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xerdoc View Post
I tell all my friends that the cost of the airbag is about the same as the cost of a cremation! Pleasant thought
First: I can get ya cremated for a third of that.
Second: My only experience with airbag deployment is in a car. I thought they were a silly before I used one, after I used one I liked them a lot.
budoka and NREMTP like this.

1968 Honda 350
1979 Honda 750 Four full dress
2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom Classic (for sale)
2007 GL 1800
IDMWT #92
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-12-2018, 10:46 AM
Lifetime Premium

About three years ago when I was trading up to a 1800 from my 1500 I was sceptical when I found a 09 airbag model. The mechanic I used said it would cost a lot of money in the long run to service. I posted the question here and other forums, and they basically said "old mechanic attitude". It does cost a bit more at times to service, but who knows, it might save my life one day. When I talked to a buddy that owned his 08 airbag wing, he said he feels it saved his life skidding out on a wet road in the States and dropped it and took out a couple 4x4 mail boxes. For some reason he replaced his Wing with a nice B.M.W. and has had a lot of issue's with it. He talked about getting another Wing.
budoka likes this.

Every man dies, not EVERY man truly LIVES!
Steve
GWRRA
1980 CB750 * 1979 GL1000 * 1982 GL1100 *
2000 GL1500 * 2009 GL1800 Airbag
IDMWT #99 (Finally admitted because I like the sound of #99)
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-13-2018, 09:11 AM
Administrator

Garage
What is your life worth?????

grab all the kicks you can baby, you only make this scene once!
current rides: '09 GL1800AD "SENSHI"; 2003 RVT1000r (RC51) track bike... certified m/c addict. IDMWT #12. GWRRA #028890
Daryl
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-13-2018, 09:18 AM
Lifetime Premium

To me it's sort of buying insurance. Hopefully you'll never need it, but if you do it's there.

Every man dies, not EVERY man truly LIVES!
Steve
GWRRA
1980 CB750 * 1979 GL1000 * 1982 GL1100 *
2000 GL1500 * 2009 GL1800 Airbag
IDMWT #99 (Finally admitted because I like the sound of #99)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode