How is a 2018 Gold Wing for riding the twisty roads??? - Page 3 - Honda Goldwing Forums
 16Likes

post #21 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-18-2018, 08:13 AM
ETC

Garage
Mines great on all road including twisty gravel roads with stream crossings.

"Take the Right Turn"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-19-2018, 10:15 AM
Administrator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowrollin View Post
My Ultra Limited can run circles around my 2015 Goldwing in and around corners. However, if we have to straighten up, all bets are off. I've ridden the 2018 in some twisties on a long test ride. It's much much much better than my 2015 Wing and just as good as my Harley. Feels closer to a sport tourer than a big luxury bike.
Seriously? I've ridden CVO Ultra's and came away with a cold feeling on both straight line performance as well as cornering and agility. The Ultra was simply ponderous in comparison to my '09 (with the exception of some very tight parking lot scenarios), and that's bone stock suspension on my Wing. I do really like the leg room though. Side by side on the street or open road the Wing simply leaves in a roll on an acceleration test and if you stir the gearbox there's no contest whatsoever. I've been in runs with stage 3 Road and Streetglides and they are a tad quicker in short term bursts (GVW?) but I leave them on top end. So much for spending another $10-$15k on performance upgrades. Only HD I've ever taken a back seat to is my friend's Heritage Softail with a 120" Merch and a Baker 6 spd. Once we get into the twisties however it's a clear win for me. Tom is plain worn out just keeping up and I'm just having fun. Maybe those HD riders are not as accomplished in certain skills but I think I'm a pretty average skill rider, although my track experience may give me a bit of an edge there.

grab all the kicks you can baby, you only make this scene once!
[/COLOR]current rides: '09 GL1800AD "SENSHI"; 2003 RVT1000r (RC51) track bike... certified m/c addict. IDMWT #12. GWRRA #028890
Daryl
post #23 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-19-2018, 10:31 AM
ETC

Garage
When haulbikes delivered my "new" 2001 FXQVWSR4niner scowling pigeon a few months back I rode it 1/2 block to my shop. Seemed OK except it only ran on one cylinder and backfired constantly. It really took the two corners nicely.
In the next few weeks I plan on getting it running better and give it a real test before I make it handle better.

post #24 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-19-2018, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by budoka View Post
Seriously? I've ridden CVO Ultra's and came away with a cold feeling on both straight line performance as well as cornering and agility. The Ultra was simply ponderous in comparison to my '09 (with the exception of some very tight parking lot scenarios), and that's bone stock suspension on my Wing. I do really like the leg room though. Side by side on the street or open road the Wing simply leaves in a roll on an acceleration test and if you stir the gearbox there's no contest whatsoever. I've been in runs with stage 3 Road and Streetglides and they are a tad quicker in short term bursts (GVW?) but I leave them on top end. So much for spending another $10-$15k on performance upgrades. Only HD I've ever taken a back seat to is my friend's Heritage Softail with a 120" Merch and a Baker 6 spd. Once we get into the twisties however it's a clear win for me. Tom is plain worn out just keeping up and I'm just having fun. Maybe those HD riders are not as accomplished in certain skills but I think I'm a pretty average skill rider, although my track experience may give me a bit of an edge there.
I can't argue with you on the way you ride your bikes or which one of your bikes performs better than others under different riding conditions. I can only tell you how I'm able to ride mine. Different riders have different riding abilities. You may be a better rider than me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode