How is a 2018 Gold Wing for riding the twisty roads??? - Page 2 - Honda Goldwing Forums
 16Likes

post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-06-2018, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlane View Post
Purchased the new wing two weeks ago. Very disappointed in the bike. To heavy to be a sport tourer and is no longer luxury tourer, Not sure what they were shooting for.
Sorry to hear and what a bummer. Fortunately I have many style rides to compare and have ridden other brands. So the GW previous generation did not suit me but the new does. Go to other manufacturers and ride their brand and make sure at the end of the day you get what you want. And then step back and evaluate. I own Range Rover vehicles and Range Rover will absolutely buy back their vehicle should you be unhappy within a respectable amount of time. I would think Honda would probably offer this as well as long as you move quickly.
Hope this helps your situation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-07-2018, 08:17 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlane View Post
Purchased the new wing two weeks ago. Very disappointed in the bike. To heavy to be a sport tourer and is no longer luxury tourer, Not sure what they were shooting for.
Heavy? Compared to what? I just got my 18' Airbag and it is the "heaviest" trim line they make. Compared to my Street Glide this thing is light as a feather. I don't know why they put reverse on it, I don't think I'll ever use it. I move this thing around the garage with ease and dexterity and I'm average sized, 6' 1" 200lbs. The bike handles as well as the little Honda dirt bikes that we rode when I took my first safety class years and years ago at a Honda plant in Troy OH but rides like a luxury car, soaking up huge bumps on the highway! I hit a big pot hole yesterday doing 90 and barely felt it. If I had hit it on my Harley my nuts would still be sore. This is the 10th motorcycle I have owned and have ridden a ton others and this bike is far and away the best designed bike I have ever been on. The fact that you get NO FORK DIVE when braking hard is cool as hell! Also the bike performs like it has POWER STEERING, something to do with the new front suspension. You just don't feel the weight of the bike on the handlebars and it makes them a lot easier to turn but in my opinion you still get PLENTY of road feedback. I used to be able to "almost keep up with the sport guys on my Harley riding the twisty roads, I guarantee I will be in their back pocket on this bike!! Harley's for the most part have "dead" road feel in my opinion and I had a new 2017 with the Milwaukee 8 motor. When I put this bike in Sport mode, it scares the crap out of me!!!For right now I ride in Tour until I get used to the Dual Clutch and i get what I call "instinctual" to riding that particular bike. So in an emergency my body knows what to do without thinking if you get my drift. In my opinion this bike performs like a higher end sport bike but rides like a high end touring bike, you have the best of both worlds, give it a little time to get used to it and see if you don't come around.

2018 Gold Wing Tour Airbag
Bone Stock

Last edited by bulldog82098; 03-07-2018 at 08:21 AM.
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-09-2018, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldog82098 View Post
Are you sure? the specs read:

"Curb Weight 787 pounds. Includes all standard equipment, required fluids and a full tank of fuel - ready to ride"

Anyway I test road one earlier today, and the bike seemed "light" compared to what I am used to.
And counter steering is no problem. I am riding a Street Glide on the twisty roads now and it
weighs a ton...
Wow! That is a huge difference from my 2008. I have to admit this is the first time I have taken a close look at the specs on the 2018.

Sounds like it has everything except four wheel drive.

Just a way faring stranger
IDMWT#85

post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-10-2018, 05:55 PM

its a great machine on the twisty roads. its not my ducati but for a bike this big is rocks!

2018 Honda Goldwing Tour
2017 Triumph Explorer 1200
2013 Triumph Trophy SE - for sale....PM me
2012 Ducati Pikes Peak 1200
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-10-2018, 07:27 PM

The Optional Tour, Sport, Eco, Rain modes are truly awesome. The bike has the “Dr. Jekyll Mr Hyde” in her lol. Until you own this redesigned Goldwing you won’t actually believe it. The Tour mode to Sport mode is considerably different and noticeable. Be sure to be an experienced rider should you ride in the Sport mode and actually use her to her best. If you’re not an experienced performance rider you will get yourself into trouble. Meaning she is super quick and responsive and it may be too late to correct your plan of attack. There is no way any Harley owner will be able to compare this Touring bike to their bagger no matter it be Harley or Indian as well. And today was my first official day I finally had a chance to ride mine and she’s just over the top. I own the top of the line Harley’s as well and the New Goldwing has ruined it for my Harley’s ride wise. And yeah if your a Harley guy and like the jazzy flashy look at me with all the noise and the image then I understand cause I still am one of those as well lol. But the Harley ain’t gonna out do the fun factor of the Honda. And here’s some pics of the others:
My new Goldwings yes I added another:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	11A00663-B7AB-4D81-926C-8468DC3C40BC.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	20.4 KB
ID:	250081   Click image for larger version

Name:	DD2D5F94-CEE9-401F-B107-AB14B26AADDA.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	20.8 KB
ID:	250089   Click image for larger version

Name:	F324586E-A7D7-4E72-80E6-65A4620E878E.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	20.1 KB
ID:	250097   Click image for larger version

Name:	A066AAC7-98DE-4F6C-989D-D764778552A2.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	20.5 KB
ID:	250105  
detdrbuzzard and crownfire like this.

Last edited by Ice Age; 03-10-2018 at 07:30 PM.
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-12-2018, 03:02 PM

My Ultra Limited can run circles around my 2015 Goldwing in and around corners. However, if we have to straighten up, all bets are off. I've ridden the 2018 in some twisties on a long test ride. It's much much much better than my 2015 Wing and just as good as my Harley. Feels closer to a sport tourer than a big luxury bike.
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-12-2018, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowrollin View Post
My Ultra Limited can run circles around my 2015 Goldwing in and around corners. However, if we have to straighten up, all bets are off. I've ridden the 2018 in some twisties on a long test ride. It's much much much better than my 2015 Wing and just as good as my Harley. Feels closer to a sport tourer than a big luxury bike.
I am Harley CVO owner and have the 17 and 18 models. The Limited 114 M8 and the 117 M8 Road Glide. I am just curious to know if I am reading your posting and not here to mock or challenge. Did you say your Harley Limited will stay with the new 18 Goldwing in the twiisties? For me personally my Harley’s will never IMO hang with new Goldwing. And don’t get me wrong I love my Harley’s since they are worlds apart from others. Happy Biking and love opinions to keep life interesting.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A37D03DA-0E9D-4DB7-B234-52FA6B311E73.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	20.3 KB
ID:	250169   Click image for larger version

Name:	15833FA9-E4F0-41A5-8A34-90D948F32AAB.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	20.1 KB
ID:	250177  
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-12-2018, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Age View Post
I am Harley CVO owner and have the 17 and 18 models. The Limited 114 M8 and the 117 M8 Road Glide. I am just curious to know if I am reading your posting and not here to mock or challenge. Did you say your Harley Limited will stay with the new 18 Goldwing in the twiisties? For me personally my Harley’s will never IMO hang with new Goldwing. And don’t get me wrong I love my Harley’s since they are worlds apart from others. Happy Biking and love opinions to keep life interesting.
I'm saying my Harley 2015 Ultra Limited is better than my 2015 Goldwing in the twisties, but I believe the 2018 Goldwing is much better than my 2015 Goldwing and just as good as my Harley in the twisties. I did not get to get on the 2018 Goldwing as hard as I would ride a bike I own, but my expectation after riding it, would be that it would out due my HOG. As I said, it feels more like a Sport Tourer. Quite a bit heavier than a real Sport Tourer, but to me it seems closer to an ST1300 in the turns than the last generation Goldwings.

Last edited by slowrollin; 03-12-2018 at 09:52 PM.
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-13-2018, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowrollin View Post
I'm saying my Harley 2015 Ultra Limited is better than my 2015 Goldwing in the twisties, but I believe the 2018 Goldwing is much better than my 2015 Goldwing and just as good as my Harley in the twisties. I did not get to get on the 2018 Goldwing as hard as I would ride a bike I own, but my expectation after riding it, would be that it would out due my HOG. As I said, it feels more like a Sport Tourer. Quite a bit heavier than a real Sport Tourer, but to me it seems closer to an ST1300 in the turns than the last generation Goldwings.
That’s well said and good conversation. Have a safe ride and nice day.
slowrollin likes this.
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-16-2018, 01:14 PM

Hands down best motorcycle on the road. Handling is spot on, confidence breeding, smooth responsive, comfortable,
does everything well.
fossil92 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode