Ignition Pulse Generator Replacement 2013 F6B - Honda Goldwing Forums
 5Likes
  • 2 Post By keller1234
  • 2 Post By armsrn
  • 1 Post By keller1234

post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-17-2018, 08:13 PM Thread Starter

Ignition Pulse Generator Replacement 2013 F6B

So I know now I have an issue with the Pulse Generator, diagnosed by me, and watching the engine flash lights when she cranks but does not start. And took to dealership and they confirmed Ignition Pulse Generator. So made a video with my questions. I have the NON ABS so heard that there may be a quick fix vs ripping the whole shelter, and then removing the air cleaner housing. Any help mucho gracias!! YOU TUBE VID:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-27-2018, 12:23 PM

Mine has developed the same problem. Were you able to get to it by removing the front lower covers? I've got the parts ordered and hopefully I'll be able to get to this before I leave for vacation next week.

Mark
It matters not how good you are if an angel pees on the flintlock of your musket. Old German Military saying.
2010 Honda GL1800
GWOF IB Hat #1 with WARWGN
IDMWT #86

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-27-2018, 04:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by crownfire View Post
Mine has developed the same problem. Were you able to get to it by removing the front lower covers? I've got the parts ordered and hopefully I'll be able to get to this before I leave for vacation next week.
So here is a follow-up video,

https://youtu.be/dV27NSfRiOk

I ended up chickening out, and put everything back together. You would not think that removing the lower and upper cow would be so difficult, but it took me forever to put it back together, now this was my first attempt at doing this and as you know second time always goes a little bit easier, but the lower and upper cow have a piece that fits in between the two and buckles all together, with a bolt, it was extremely difficult to put back together, now again I'm one on a mechanic's level, LOL okay maybe 1.5! You may or may not know once you get the lower and upper cowl off and expose the wiring there are two methods you can do, the first is to actually cut the wires, on the New Pulse generator and put them on the old pulse generator wires, by using connectors, and splicing the lines, the problem with that is what if it's actually a loose connection that's giving you the error! The second way is of course to be a contortionist and get some tool up into the sleeve that I mentioned in the video and are able to disconnect the original connector. The second way in my opinion, is definitely the way to go, I just didn't have a tool that was going to allow me to get up there and do that, plus again, you have to get that sleeve out of the way. I'm at 20,000 miles with no filter change, I've kind of made a vow to myself the next time it doesn't start, I'm going to bite the bullet, and probably tear down the bike on my own, and replace the filter using that filter change video, the great one that got posted about a year ago for the F6B, and while I'm in there go ahead and get to this connector to and change out the pulse generator. Good luck and keep me posted
W1ngin1t and Luv2fish like this.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-28-2018, 10:40 AM

Hey Keller
I had the same problem on my '03 "wing
It was intermittent and frustrating
Having had the whole bike tore apart to check all connections the year before I knew they were good
I ended up splicing the new IPG into the harness and it never misses a beat
I sealed the connections really good
Had Honda move the connection from under the air filter housing to the front of the engine it would be alot easier
Good luck
Enjoy

every day is a good day....some are just gooder than others
budoka and Cantankerous like this.

Last edited by armsrn; 09-28-2018 at 10:42 AM. Reason: missed information
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-28-2018, 11:17 AM
Administrator

Garage
Was that what was giving you grief at Ainsworth?

grab all the kicks you can baby, you only make this scene once!
current rides: '09 GL1800AD "SENSHI"; 2003 RVT1000r (RC51) track bike... certified m/c addict. IDMWT #12. GWRRA #028890
Daryl
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-28-2018, 05:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by armsrn View Post
Hey Keller
Having had the whole bike tore apart to check all connections the year before I knew they were good
Had Honda move the connection from under the air filter housing to the front of the engine it would be alot easier
Good luck
Enjoy

Great info! Thanks, I will add this to my contemplating, I was really going to wait until about 30k before changing the filter out, do you have a link on exactly what, type of splicing connectors you used? Also, I've heard some people saying they had to take a hammer and a 2 by 4 to the timing chain cover to remove it, how hard was yours to get off?
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 07:54 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Hey Keller
Good luck
Enjoy

I know this is old thread , hope your still on...but yes mine is continuing to get worse...happens more in the warmer temps...did you experience that? I am hoping my connection is good and going to do the splice thing, there is a yellow and white wire so hopefully not too too confusing...do you remember if you tore off the front upper and lower cowl or did you just take off the cam shaft cover and go to work? Can you give me specifically what you used to connect the wires? I am always nervous replacing gaskets too for some reason, did you use the liquid gasket sealer per manual? thanks on all.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 09:27 AM

Hey kellar
When your bike doesn't want to start try wiggling the wire going into the timing cover
I would do that and it would start
I had check everything else as you read
I just pulled the wires out a bit from the front
Removed the timing cover
You may have to tap on it a bit
Replaced the pulse generator
Cut and spliced the wires ( I used heat shrink type connectors)
Clean up the cover
I used spray a gasket (Permtex) to hold the gasket in place
Installed and torque to spec
A lot easier than tearing the the shelter off
That was 2 years ago
Let me know how you make out
Enjoy

every day is a good day.....some are just gooder than others
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 06:40 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Hey kellar
When your bike doesn't want to start try wiggling the wire going into the timing cover
I would do that and it would start
I had check everything else as you read
I just pulled the wires out a bit from the front
Removed the timing cover
You may have to tap on it a bit
Replaced the pulse generator
Cut and spliced the wires ( I used heat shrink type connectors)
Clean up the cover
I used spray a gasket (Permtex) to hold the gasket in place
Installed and torque to spec
A lot easier than tearing the the shelter off
That was 2 years ago
Let me know how you make out
Enjoy

every day is a good day.....some are just gooder than others
thanks for the info! Yeah it keeps doing it more and more, last night it stopped running and I tried your trick, hard to get in there through that Grill and wiggle that wire, it's still did not start, but then when it cools down it fires up at night time, anyway I think I've got everything I'm going to need to do the splice wire trick. Your instructions help, I don't have a heat gun so I won't be using the heat shrink, but I have some other butt connectors, planning on waterproofing them with electrical tape, a little nervous that that cover is not going to come off easy and not much room to work with that tire right there, plan on doing a YouTube video, should be entertaining, LOL will send you a link.
Chopin likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode