Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

TPMS error 2018

16K views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  steve meltzer 
#1 ·
When I drove home with the new bike on Wednesday I got a TPMS system error about 10 miles from the dealership. After checking the tires were ok, I continued home. I called the dealership on Thursday morning and told them about the issue and that I also saw it on the demo bike. I was the first rider on that as well. This morning they provided me the document in my album titled “TPMS error fix”. I performed the listed procedure and the light went out. Sharing this to take stress off others who might see it in the near future,

Reactions: 70629 and fossil92
#2 ·
Good information for others that might have that same problem. But don't you think the dealer should have taken care of that issue before you took delivery of the bike, they do charge a set up fee!!

Reactions: W1ngin1t
#3 ·
Absolutely Joe, that should have been done. The fact that Honda had to put out a bulletin shows that because the TPMS sensors are so new, the builder and service staff are overlooking the process of deflating the tires just to take the air pressure up to spec. It’s counterintuitive to do that.

#4 ·
I get an error on mine as well...... but only on really cold mornings (my definition.... about 40 F)
but it only happens at the exact same stretch of road..... and goes out at the same place....
Thinking I am getting some sort of radio interference on the same frequency or something

#7 ·
My 2010 did the same thing a few years back. Then it went on full time. Not the low pressure but the TPMS system light. The dealer replaced the sensors under warranty just before it went out of date. It has done it a couple times this winter, also on very cold days, in the same stretch of road.

Slowrollin, I’m on an ‘18 wing tour. I’ve posted the pic of the Honda service bulletin to my picture album. Basically, you have to rapidly lower the air pressure of a tire below 18psi and then refill it to spec. Repeat for second tire.
If my problems comes back I'll give this a try.

#6 ·
Slowrollin, I’m on an ‘18 wing tour. I’ve posted the pic of the Honda service bulletin to my picture album. Basically, you have to rapidly lower the air pressure of a tire below 18psi and then refill it to spec. Repeat for second tire.

#8 ·
Thanks! What bothers me about this is, I'm working on getting a new one now and I was assured by both the sales guy and the service manager that this was an all new TPMS system and those problems were gone. I've trying to figure out how to get rid of that light on my 2015 since I got it. Saw a video on youTube from Cruiseman's Garage where he did this, but I'm to chicken to go in start cutting wires.

#9 ·
Is it just me or are dealerships lazy and just don’t care about customer service?

If I were a dealer and knew that there was an issue and a fix for a new bike....I would make damn sure the service bulletin was done BEFORE I gave it to the customer.

Love a Honda Motorcycle, I cant stand their service department.

Rant over.

Reactions: Cantankerous
#13 ·
Not denying that, but here in my area we had three (2 of which are the same company) now two, and I used all three service departments over the years. And sufficed to say NONE were close to being trustworthy to work on my Wing again.

One actually left my caliper bolts out and I lost all my brakes on my way home.

#12 ·
In any public service area..... I think it all boils down to the management....
If the management require awesome customer service and people are let go over poor service...
everyone steps up and it becomes a great place to work and the business gains a great following and reputation.

For instance..... after O'Reiley's dropped the ball on getting parts for my truck.... went down the street to Auto Zone...
they didn't have the parts but they called around town to ALL of the parts stores and found them for me... the local Auto Zone has a new customer....... took the O'Reiley's rewards card out of my wallet.

#14 ·
I think the biggest issue for my dealer is that I was test rider number one and their first sale of a 2018. I know as a guy who does his own repairs that I might have screwed this up as well. If I had built bikes with TPMS and knew the procedure to activate, why would I re-read that step. It’s a natural human thing to do... my dealer also asked me to bring it back when I called, but I was 125 miles away... at home. I was very pleased that they researched the issue and responded back quickly.

#15 ·
Thanks for super fix

Just left dealer. Demonstrator not even aware of tpms Light on at 10 miles. Relieved to see bike has tmps, now relieved no need to return to dealer. Thanks again

Hi folks the described fix worked on my 2018, so now the tpms light goes out....after reading the manual, the air pressure read outs are only visible for Tour models, not B models(no trunk). I bought this version for the pear brown stallion color and added a trunk. Now realizing there are many subtle features absent on the B model ( electronic suspension, heated seat, etc) anyone know whether a software up grade would allow one to see tire pressure? Seems odd to me that this feature is included as an idiot light without the values for front and rear pressures.

#19 ·
So I had a similar issue on my Wing i collected from the dealer, on the way home i noticed the TPMS light come on. I deflated and re-inflated as per recommendation and no way of getting the light to go off. I then disconnected the battery terminal and re-connected and Presto no TPMS light. Went for a ride and after about 1 km the pressures were displayed accordingly...Nothing like a re-set...

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.