Hot legs - Honda Goldwing Forums
 1Likes

post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-26-2012, 12:58 PM Thread Starter

Cool Hot legs

I can hardly enjoy my sweet ride (candy red 2010 GW) because the engine heat blowing back on my shins. Even when I wear calf high leather boots it's Ghost Rider hot!!!! Does anyone else have this issue? I'm sure in the middle of winter I will love it but not in central Texas summer heat 100+!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-26-2012, 01:18 PM

Might try looking at AIR WINGS wind deflectors they realy change the air flow alot.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-26-2012, 01:30 PM

I have to agree with longtrack. When I first got mine in Jul'11, I actually got a burn on the inside left shin just above the ankle. (OK, yes, I was wearing shorts on a five hour ride.) Adding the trike wings hasn't completely eliminated the heat but it has helped. Blocking the wind would seem the opposite of what's needed, but upsetting the airflow really did help.

You're in central Texas. I'm near Six Flags in Arlington. If you want to do a day ride on a weekend, I'll meet you half way and you can test ride mine before you spend the money.

2003 GL1800/MotorTrike Adventure IDMWT#25x3
Ride often. Ride far. Ride safe and do much more of both.
Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach him how to surf the GWOF and he won't bother you for weeks, maybe months
I'll be waitin' for you at the end of the road.
If everything had gone as planned, it would not have been an adventure.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-26-2012, 04:22 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentwing02 View Post
I have to agree with longtrack. When I first got mine in Jul'11, I actually got a burn on the inside left shin just above the ankle. (OK, yes, I was wearing shorts on a five hour ride.) Adding the trike wings hasn't completely eliminated the heat but it has helped. Blocking the wind would seem the opposite of what's needed, but upsetting the airflow really did help.

You're in central Texas. I'm near Six Flags in Arlington. If you want to do a day ride on a weekend, I'll meet you half way and you can test ride mine before you spend the money.
I do have air wings. 1 below my mirror and then 2 more just below that next to the high beam and navi controls. So unless I can get ones lower down they don't help. As it is I have to kick my feet back like I'm on a ninja or something! I have side pegs too so when I try to escape the heat that way the insides of my calves begin to cook. I only have 5000 mi on it however, about 4 months ago I converted my 2 wheeler to a trike and hope that is not what is creating a hotter engine?!?
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-26-2012, 05:22 PM

Welcome to the board!

A couple of thoughts...

If you open the Air Wings for ventilation, only open the tops, keep the bottoms closed. That will push the hot air out and away from you.

You might also try Leg Wings. I have them and run them year round, hot or cold. Well, I just moved to Florida, so i guess cold isn't what it used to be in NH..

=Dave=
Old Dog Moto Works
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-26-2012, 05:27 PM

I missed the trike part.. Try These... Trike Leg Wings

=Dave=
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-26-2012, 06:43 PM
Super Moderator

does your wing have foot warmers and are they open
Rusty360 likes this.

'75cb750k '05sunL 70
'79cb750f '93 gl1500 se
'79 super K '85 cb450 sc
'11 GSA
'06 mighty ST1300a

~ william ~
IDMWt #13
ama
GWOF iba with timS #03
iba 58509
mile eater
hat
moa
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-26-2012, 07:00 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dandy Dave View Post
I missed the trike part.. Try These... Trike Leg Wings

=Dave=
I also have a set of those on order for my trike!

Rich / Rock-N-Roll 4 Ever
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-26-2012, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santelli View Post
I can hardly enjoy my sweet ride (candy red 2010 GW) because the engine heat blowing back on my shins. Even when I wear calf high leather boots it's Ghost Rider hot!!!! Does anyone else have this issue? I'm sure in the middle of winter I will love it but not in central Texas summer heat 100+!!!!
i live in florida and from march until november we have nothing but 90 degree days and i havent had that heat problem and i always wear long pants and boots, maybe your lower vents are not closed all the way, just a thought.

2010 GL1800 Black
GWRRA
Defenders LE/MC
US Air Force Veteran
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-26-2012, 11:26 PM

I never liked road pegs/plates before getting Tatanka on the road. Now, unless I'm braking or shifting, or soon to be, my feet are on the OEM Honda road plates, up and out. OK, I kinda overdid it with the 2' extensions on each side that make it look like I'm doing the splits, but it is cool!

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." ~ George Orwell

Kevin
1995 1500 Aspencade named "Cochise"
1985 1200 Aspencade named "Tatanka"
IDMWT club #18
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode