Just not understanding DCT - Honda Goldwing Forums
 21Likes

post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-29-2018, 03:47 PM Thread Starter

Just not understanding DCT

Going back and forth with my riding buddies, all of whom are ready to run out and buy an automatic motorcycle. I'm really having trouble understanding the attraction. Sure, maybe once in a while in heavy traffic, shifting can be a pain, but isn't running through the gears part of the fun of riding? I think back to the days when I had my little automatic mini-bikes, and couldn't want to a get gears and a clutch like the older kids. Those nightmares are haunting me.

How many of you are excited about an automatic motorcycle and why?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-29-2018, 04:41 PM

Have you ridden any bike yet with a dual clutch? Its not like a centrifugal clutch like was on the early scooters. If I had the money I would go for it. I don't think this going to be a passing fad. Try one, whether a test ride or a borrowed ride, any brand, any class of bike. Just try one.

2003 GL1800/MotorTrike Adventure IDMWT#25x3
Ride often. Ride far. Ride safe and do much more of both.
Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach him how to surf the GWOF and he won't bother you for weeks, maybe months
I'll be waitin' for you at the end of the road.
If everything had gone as planned, it would not have been an adventure.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-29-2018, 04:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentwing02 View Post
Have you ridden any bike yet with a dual clutch? Its not like a centrifugal clutch like was on the early scooters. If I had the money I would go for it. I don't think this going to be a passing fad. Try one, whether a test ride or a borrowed ride, any brand, any class of bike. Just try one.
What exactly is it that you like about it?

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-29-2018, 04:46 PM
Administrator

Garage
It's one of those "don't knock it 'till you try it" things. With the DCT transmission, while you do have a full on automatic, you also have a multi mode manual (handlebar) shift as well. Full on sport mode is very similar to the steering wheel paddle shift Mclaren/Honda developed and used for Formula 1 motorsport racing. quick, precise, and far more efficient than anyone but a well seasoned professional can come close to doing. Tour mode is very much like our manuals that we are used to, rain mode controls wheel spin (as well as braking attenuation), and economy mode dials performance down even farther.
After speaking with Bill/fossil on his experiences with the DCT he reiterated everything my people at Honda Canada told me in our training sessions on these incredible new machines.
In full automatic operation, the transmission is so smooth you almost can't feel the shift points. Only the throatier sound of the new engine and exhaust system tells you it is doing the job. If you don't believe me, re-read Janice's passenger seat perspective on how she felt the bike behave from the pillion seat. I liken her response to the feeling you get when riding in the back of a well driven limo. Now the "gearhead" in me wants to poo poo this idea, but still a part of me says that it would be very nice for when you just want to lose yourself in the moment and get tranquil with the ride without having to do any real work at it.
Same for if you're feeling a tad feisty, slip it into "sport" and go crazy and enjoy all the extra oomph the new engine can deliver. Just get used to it before hand. Bill wheelied the thing in "tour" mode, not sport.
Chopin, crownfire, Terryj and 4 others like this.

grab all the kicks you can baby, you only make this scene once!
[/COLOR]current rides: '09 GL1800AD "SENSHI"; 2003 RVT1000r (RC51) track bike... certified m/c addict. IDMWT #12. GWRRA #028890
Daryl
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-29-2018, 05:05 PM

Slow, as Bill/Janice reported and Daryl has backed up, the first thing is smoothness. Flying to a vacation and renting a bike with out DCT might even be frustrating. And maybe you have never done it, but we've had members here mention going 100 miles on an interstate before realizing the bike had been in 4th the whole time. That won't happen again. And false neutrals, I doubt it.

The only reason I would hesitate would be the unknown, so far, cost of maintenance. Time will tell on that.
slowrollin likes this.

2003 GL1800/MotorTrike Adventure IDMWT#25x3
Ride often. Ride far. Ride safe and do much more of both.
Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach him how to surf the GWOF and he won't bother you for weeks, maybe months
I'll be waitin' for you at the end of the road.
If everything had gone as planned, it would not have been an adventure.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-29-2018, 05:51 PM
Administrator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentwing02 View Post
Slow, as Bill/Janice reported and Daryl has backed up, the first thing is smoothness. Flying to a vacation and renting a bike with out DCT might even be frustrating. And maybe you have never done it, but we've had members here mention going 100 miles on an interstate before realizing the bike had been in 4th the whole time. That won't happen again. And false neutrals, I doubt it.

The only reason I would hesitate would be the unknown, so far, cost of maintenance. Time will tell on that.
Randy, as soon as I have a published maintenance schedule, I will post it on the forum.

grab all the kicks you can baby, you only make this scene once!
[/COLOR]current rides: '09 GL1800AD "SENSHI"; 2003 RVT1000r (RC51) track bike... certified m/c addict. IDMWT #12. GWRRA #028890
Daryl
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-29-2018, 06:26 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Just not understanding DCT

@slowrollin

I am an old Motorhead. Many years on motorcycles, plenty of stick cars/trucks, commercial trucks, and formula racer.

Wife and I rented a Can Am Spyder a few years back and although it was okay it didnít really trip my trigger. I often thought if I was to buy one I would buy the manual version.

The Honda DCT in the Goldwing is a different animal. I absolutely fell in love with it (even in the short miles we put on). I can without question say that I would own one and hopefully will. The smoothness at which it shifts in Tour Mode is almost unnoticeable, yet if you wish to have the feel of a manual the Sport mode is darn close.

I am certainly not trying to convince you or anyone else, but I would suggest all that wonder to try a ride on a DCT before you write it off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Whoever said a woman can't make up their mind never met a Male Motorcycle Rider

GWOF IB COUPLE #2

MEMBER GWOF IB TRIO #1/Overall #4

FR #91

Last edited by fossil92; 01-29-2018 at 06:28 PM.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-30-2018, 08:07 PM

Getting older and finding the need to adjust some of my life long ride habits so doing some research on the pro's and con's of the DCT. When I noticed this thread I had to sign up and jump in to ask this and see if there may be some answers to be found here.. First things first though - THANK YOU for the site (very nice), for allowing me the join even though I ride a beat up old sticker covered Venture and thank you Slowrollin for this thread - VERY GOOD DISCUSSION!!
Here is my question,, will the new DCT allow for rider input using clutch/throttle/brake control for low speed riding as shown below? I have seen many video's of "parking lot" riding with the new DCT (all way to fast for crawling between cars or snake trailing/looking for a camping spot) but I have yet to see actual slow riding examples like below and would be very interested in actual examples of the type or riding displayed in the attached video being accomplished with the new DCT.. Thanks in advance for any thoughts on this subject!!
Here's the vid:
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-30-2018, 08:21 PM

I also had concerns about slow riding with the new DCT/automatic. However, these disappeared as soon as I began riding my new bike last week. Is it difficult to maneuver slowly a car with an automatic transmission? Not at all. Honda has done such a good job with the DCT that slow riding the bike is even easier than a GW with a clutch. Put your worries aside.
fossil92, slowrollin and cowpuc like this.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-30-2018, 08:57 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
I will also echo that comment.

In addition the Wing also has a walk mode in both forward & reverse for those really tight precarious situations.

It works fantastic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
slowrollin and cowpuc like this.

Whoever said a woman can't make up their mind never met a Male Motorcycle Rider

GWOF IB COUPLE #2

MEMBER GWOF IB TRIO #1/Overall #4

FR #91
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode