Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Just not understanding DCT

6K views 22 replies 8 participants last post by  budoka 
#1 ·
Going back and forth with my riding buddies, all of whom are ready to run out and buy an automatic motorcycle. I'm really having trouble understanding the attraction. Sure, maybe once in a while in heavy traffic, shifting can be a pain, but isn't running through the gears part of the fun of riding? I think back to the days when I had my little automatic mini-bikes, and couldn't want to a get gears and a clutch like the older kids. Those nightmares are haunting me.

How many of you are excited about an automatic motorcycle and why?

#2 ·
Have you ridden any bike yet with a dual clutch? Its not like a centrifugal clutch like was on the early scooters. If I had the money I would go for it. I don't think this going to be a passing fad. Try one, whether a test ride or a borrowed ride, any brand, any class of bike. Just try one.

#4 ·
It's one of those "don't knock it 'till you try it" things. With the DCT transmission, while you do have a full on automatic, you also have a multi mode manual (handlebar) shift as well. Full on sport mode is very similar to the steering wheel paddle shift Mclaren/Honda developed and used for Formula 1 motorsport racing. quick, precise, and far more efficient than anyone but a well seasoned professional can come close to doing. Tour mode is very much like our manuals that we are used to, rain mode controls wheel spin (as well as braking attenuation), and economy mode dials performance down even farther.
After speaking with Bill/fossil on his experiences with the DCT he reiterated everything my people at Honda Canada told me in our training sessions on these incredible new machines.
In full automatic operation, the transmission is so smooth you almost can't feel the shift points. Only the throatier sound of the new engine and exhaust system tells you it is doing the job. If you don't believe me, re-read Janice's passenger seat perspective on how she felt the bike behave from the pillion seat. I liken her response to the feeling you get when riding in the back of a well driven limo. Now the "gearhead" in me wants to poo poo this idea, but still a part of me says that it would be very nice for when you just want to lose yourself in the moment and get tranquil with the ride without having to do any real work at it.
Same for if you're feeling a tad feisty, slip it into "sport" and go crazy and enjoy all the extra oomph the new engine can deliver. Just get used to it before hand. Bill wheelied the thing in "tour" mode, not sport.:wink2:

#5 ·
Slow, as Bill/Janice reported and Daryl has backed up, the first thing is smoothness. Flying to a vacation and renting a bike with out DCT might even be frustrating. And maybe you have never done it, but we've had members here mention going 100 miles on an interstate before realizing the bike had been in 4th the whole time. That won't happen again. And false neutrals, I doubt it.

The only reason I would hesitate would be the unknown, so far, cost of maintenance. Time will tell on that.

Reactions: slowrollin
#6 ·
Slow, as Bill/Janice reported and Daryl has backed up, the first thing is smoothness. Flying to a vacation and renting a bike with out DCT might even be frustrating. And maybe you have never done it, but we've had members here mention going 100 miles on an interstate before realizing the bike had been in 4th the whole time. That won't happen again. And false neutrals, I doubt it.

The only reason I would hesitate would be the unknown, so far, cost of maintenance. Time will tell on that.
Randy, as soon as I have a published maintenance schedule, I will post it on the forum.

#7 · (Edited)
@slowrollin

I am an old Motorhead. Many years on motorcycles, plenty of stick cars/trucks, commercial trucks, and formula racer.

Wife and I rented a Can Am Spyder a few years back and although it was okay it didn’t really trip my trigger. I often thought if I was to buy one I would buy the manual version.

The Honda DCT in the Goldwing is a different animal. I absolutely fell in love with it (even in the short miles we put on). I can without question say that I would own one and hopefully will. The smoothness at which it shifts in Tour Mode is almost unnoticeable, yet if you wish to have the feel of a manual the Sport mode is darn close.

I am certainly not trying to convince you or anyone else, but I would suggest all that wonder to try a ride on a DCT before you write it off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

#8 ·
I also had concerns about slow riding with the new DCT/automatic. However, these disappeared as soon as I began riding my new bike last week. Is it difficult to maneuver slowly a car with an automatic transmission? Not at all. Honda has done such a good job with the DCT that slow riding the bike is even easier than a GW with a clutch. Put your worries aside.

#9 ·
I will also echo that comment.

In addition the Wing also has a walk mode in both forward & reverse for those really tight precarious situations.

It works fantastic

#10 ·
watch the video at the end of Fred Harmon's review!

He was part of the Texas crowd of riders and says he was able to ride for over 400 miles over 2 days on the DCT

#13 ·
Good advice, I just read the review and watched the videos. I would likely wait a year if I was in buying mode just to see what the accessory players will offer up and to see if any of the small shortcomings could be addressed by the factory (Android based systems and the few connectivity issues that were mentioned). After listening to Bill and Janice, and now Fred's views, I'm convinced I'd opt for a DCT model, probably without the airbag this time; both as a cost reducer and the extra front cubby would be handy as all getout. Plus maybe in the future that drop dead gorgeous brown might be an option on the DCT Tour (hint hint Mother Honda!!!) model in the next model year....>:)

My views in retrospect: Sometime in the not too distant past, I offered up my thoughts on what was coming when Honda finally did release a new updated Goldwing. I said the bike needed to lose weight, and it did. I did say I thought there would be a good chance of a DCT model, and there is. I believed there would be a twin cam multi valve engine, well, I got it half right on that one. I said the front suspension needed a total rework, there is but certainly beyond the degree I suspected. I (along with countless others) said it was lacking an electric adjustable windscreen, ta-da! I also spoke about the need for getting up to speed in the electronic gadgetry game (as HD and BMW have), and it's there...with the exception of a touch screen display and I'm not sure that's really a losing point. Overall, I said it was a shot over the center field fence, and I honestly think it is. It may not be a grand slam, but I'm fairly confident it was a 2 (maybe even a 3) run shot at least.

#12 ·
I personally get no pleasure in constantly shifting through gears. But it’s something you have to do if you want to ride a motorcycle. I’ve been waiting my whole life for large automatic motorcycle. I can’t wait to try out this new bike.

#14 ·
@budoka...........I agree with your past retrospect (I remember your post). I would say and have said a Solid "A" from Honda on this machine. It is a beauty.:drool2:

Now I know that you already know this but that "Gorgeous Brown" is actually lovingly named "Johnston Brown" as we are both head over rear tire over that color also and even though it is not available on the Tour model, you can purchase the Top Box/Mount as an option, along with a tall windscreen and essentially get the Goldwing Tour look. Of course you will be sacrificing a few other items as well.

#16 ·
I'll bet the Brown is available on the Tour next year. It does really pop. However, I have to disagree with one thing I've heard so far. The absence of a touch screen is a big miss on this bike. I have one on my Harley and it's incredibly handy to be able to use touch screen commands when you're standing still or moving. You'd even have this functionality on an external screen like a Garmin. I'm guessing excluding it was a cost savings to the build after all of the other significant changes. Still, it should be there in the future.

#15 ·
Trust me Bones, if I got one of the DCT tour ones, I'd be sacrificing a whole lot more than that...like a roof over my head and a bed partner...>:)

#20 ·
I believe so yes that should be correct (no rear speakers since no trunk either). The 6 spd manual model has no reverse. Oh, and the no trunk models (DCT and 6spd) have no center stand

#21 ·
Here’s a cheat sheet list for the different models and as you can see there are few more things that are missing from the Tour model

Reactions: slowrollin
#23 ·
It will be interesting to see what the three wheel conversion crowd does with this new bike. The provisions for lost or damaged fob access/starting are in the saddlebags...I know they'll figure something out but it will be a job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.