Just not understanding DCT - Page 2 - Honda Goldwing Forums
 21Likes

post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-30-2018, 09:15 PM

Garage
watch the video at the end of Fred Harmon's review!

He was part of the Texas crowd of riders and says he was able to ride for over 400 miles over 2 days on the DCT

IDMWT member #80
Never walk, when you can ride!

current ride : 2013 GL1800 Audio Comfort

Darkside Yokohama Avid ENVigor 195/55 R16
non-runflat

Past rides: '98 GL1500SE
'03 750 Kawasaki Vulcan
'81 850 Suzuki
'80 550 Suzuki
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-30-2018, 10:36 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fossil92 View Post
@slowrollin

I am an old Motorhead. Many years on motorcycles, plenty of stick cars/trucks, commercial trucks, and formula racer.

Wife and I rented a Can Am Spyder a few years back and although it was okay it didnít really trip my trigger. I often thought if I was to buy one I would buy the manual version.

The Honda DCT in the Goldwing is a different animal. I absolutely fell in love with it (even in the short miles we put on). I can without question say that I would own one and hopefully will. The smoothness at which it shifts in Tour Mode is almost unnoticeable, yet if you wish to have the feel of a manual the Sport mode is darn close.

I am certainly not trying to convince you or anyone else, but I would suggest all that wonder to try a ride on a DCT before you write it off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
@fossil92 , you may not be trying to convince me, but you're sure peaking my interest pretty good!
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-31-2018, 09:23 AM

I personally get no pleasure in constantly shifting through gears. But itís something you have to do if you want to ride a motorcycle. Iíve been waiting my whole life for large automatic motorcycle. I canít wait to try out this new bike.

Eddie
2018 DCT Tour Pearl Hawkeye Blue
IDMWT #73

"Ride hard or stay home"

post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-31-2018, 10:51 AM
Administrator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsurley View Post
watch the video at the end of Fred Harmon's review!

He was part of the Texas crowd of riders and says he was able to ride for over 400 miles over 2 days on the DCT
Good advice, I just read the review and watched the videos. I would likely wait a year if I was in buying mode just to see what the accessory players will offer up and to see if any of the small shortcomings could be addressed by the factory (Android based systems and the few connectivity issues that were mentioned). After listening to Bill and Janice, and now Fred's views, I'm convinced I'd opt for a DCT model, probably without the airbag this time; both as a cost reducer and the extra front cubby would be handy as all getout. Plus maybe in the future that drop dead gorgeous brown might be an option on the DCT Tour (hint hint Mother Honda!!!) model in the next model year....

My views in retrospect: Sometime in the not too distant past, I offered up my thoughts on what was coming when Honda finally did release a new updated Goldwing. I said the bike needed to lose weight, and it did. I did say I thought there would be a good chance of a DCT model, and there is. I believed there would be a twin cam multi valve engine, well, I got it half right on that one. I said the front suspension needed a total rework, there is but certainly beyond the degree I suspected. I (along with countless others) said it was lacking an electric adjustable windscreen, ta-da! I also spoke about the need for getting up to speed in the electronic gadgetry game (as HD and BMW have), and it's there...with the exception of a touch screen display and I'm not sure that's really a losing point. Overall, I said it was a shot over the center field fence, and I honestly think it is. It may not be a grand slam, but I'm fairly confident it was a 2 (maybe even a 3) run shot at least.
fossil92 and dsurley like this.

grab all the kicks you can baby, you only make this scene once!
[/COLOR]current rides: '09 GL1800AD "SENSHI"; 2003 RVT1000r (RC51) track bike... certified m/c addict. IDMWT #12. GWRRA #028890
Daryl
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-31-2018, 11:31 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
@budoka ...........I agree with your past retrospect (I remember your post). I would say and have said a Solid "A" from Honda on this machine. It is a beauty.

Now I know that you already know this but that "Gorgeous Brown" is actually lovingly named "Johnston Brown" as we are both head over rear tire over that color also and even though it is not available on the Tour model, you can purchase the Top Box/Mount as an option, along with a tall windscreen and essentially get the Goldwing Tour look. Of course you will be sacrificing a few other items as well.

Whoever said a woman can't make up their mind never met a Male Motorcycle Rider

GWOF IB COUPLE #2

MEMBER GWOF IB TRIO #1/Overall #4

FR #91
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-31-2018, 01:53 PM
Administrator

Garage
Trust me Bones, if I got one of the DCT tour ones, I'd be sacrificing a whole lot more than that...like a roof over my head and a bed partner...

[/COLOR]current rides: '09 GL1800AD "SENSHI"; 2003 RVT1000r (RC51) track bike... certified m/c addict. IDMWT #12. GWRRA #028890
Daryl
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-31-2018, 02:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fossil92 View Post
@budoka ...........I agree with your past retrospect (I remember your post). I would say and have said a Solid "A" from Honda on this machine. It is a beauty.

Now I know that you already know this but that "Gorgeous Brown" is actually lovingly named "Johnston Brown" as we are both head over rear tire over that color also and even though it is not available on the Tour model, you can purchase the Top Box/Mount as an option, along with a tall windscreen and essentially get the Goldwing Tour look. Of course you will be sacrificing a few other items as well.
I'll bet the Brown is available on the Tour next year. It does really pop. However, I have to disagree with one thing I've heard so far. The absence of a touch screen is a big miss on this bike. I have one on my Harley and it's incredibly handy to be able to use touch screen commands when you're standing still or moving. You'd even have this functionality on an external screen like a Garmin. I'm guessing excluding it was a cost savings to the build after all of the other significant changes. Still, it should be there in the future.
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-31-2018, 02:18 PM Thread Starter

Oh man, I must be losing it. You guys have me seriously thinking I might like having an automatic. Must..... re...sist.....must....re....sist.... HELP!!!
NREMTP likes this.
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-31-2018, 02:47 PM
Administrator

Garage

Daryl
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-31-2018, 03:02 PM Thread Starter

Am I correct in that the only thing the Goldwing DCT does not have that's on the Tour, is the Trunk, the taller windshield, and the automatic rear shock preload adjustment? Is that it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode