Learning to ride this big bike - Page 2 - Honda Goldwing Forums
 40Likes

post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-08-2018, 02:18 PM

Before I put my wife on the back of my Goldwing, I borrowed 3 cartons of Vinyl Composition Floor Tile from my office. (we sell it). You could substitute anything heavy and dense) They weigh about 50 pounds each. I tied them down on the back seat, and I RODE! Fast, Slow, Turns, Straight, Up Hill, Down Hill, Side Hill, twisties, Reverse. I did it all. Then I was confident the I could handle this big bike with an extra 150 pounds. Then and only then did I put her on the bike, and the rest is history!

I've dropped it twice with her on the back. Once I wound up in the brush along side the road, because I was in too high a gear and couldn't pull out of the turn, up hill. Now I make sure that I am in the right gear (erring on the low side) long before I need it. The second drop was in a big hotel parking structure, with hills, drainage gullies, and complicated signs. I stopped on a side hill to read a sign and down it went. I'm always a little surprised at how far you have to lean UPhill on a side hill stop.

Fortunately, both drops were at VERY slow speed, more like ZERO speed, and there was no damage to anything but my ego. And she wasn't scared off. She must love me or the motorcycle, hopefully both.
Chopin, alwims and BERT1FLORES like this.

Richie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-08-2018, 02:52 PM
TAL

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to TAL
Quote:
Originally Posted by liflyboy View Post
Before I put my wife on the back of my Goldwing, I borrowed 3 cartons of Vinyl Composition Floor Tile from my office. (we sell it). You could substitute anything heavy and dense) They weigh about 50 pounds each. I tied them down on the back seat, and I RODE! Fast, Slow, Turns, Straight, Up Hill, Down Hill, Side Hill, twisties, Reverse. I did it all. Then I was confident the I could handle this big bike with an extra 150 pounds. Then and only then did I put her on the bike, and the rest is history!

I've dropped it twice with her on the back. Once I wound up in the brush along side the road, because I was in too high a gear and couldn't pull out of the turn, up hill. Now I make sure that I am in the right gear (erring on the low side) long before I need it. The second drop was in a big hotel parking structure, with hills, drainage gullies, and complicated signs. I stopped on a side hill to read a sign and down it went. I'm always a little surprised at how far you have to lean UPhill on a side hill stop.

Fortunately, both drops were at VERY slow speed, more like ZERO speed, and there was no damage to anything but my ego. And she wasn't scared off. She must love me or the motorcycle, hopefully both.
You joined the IDMWT Club - now you just need a number. Wear it proudly.

Tom
IDMWT Club Member # 82
Have you confessed today?

post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-08-2018, 11:23 PM

Yeah, Burt, someone should have mentioned slow speed drops earlier. We have a thread (I Dropped My Wing Today) in which members can tell/confess their experience with laying the bike down. It might behoove you to read thru those. You'll probably pick up some pointers. You'll also realize its too common to be ashamed of. And expecting it armed with techniques to avoid the event will probably delay the inevitable.

2003 GL1800/MotorTrike Adventure IDMWT#25x3
Ride often. Ride far. Ride safe and do much more of both.
Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach him how to surf the GWOF and he won't bother you for weeks, maybe months
I'll be waitin' for you at the end of the road.
If everything had gone as planned, it would not have been an adventure.

post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-09-2018, 02:37 PM

He He. I've dropped it far too many times to get a number from the IDMWT club. Almost every time going less than 1 MPH, once going BACKWARDS! I did it twice in the same day, on a cross country from California to Iowa, on all back-roads, forgot to put the stand down before leaning it over, and the second time stopping on a sloped gravel parking area, with not enough lean. Lifting it up off gravel is a little more difficult, not impossible, but there's ALWAYS someone around to help, if you need it.
I ride with the GWRRA, and 2 rides in a row, a month apart, the rider in front of me dropped the bike, with wife aboard, at a light. Same guy, both times. They had installed a different set of road pegs for her, and if they weren't careful, her foot would block his leg from holding the bike up.

It happens. Most times it's a non-event.

Oh well, brush off the ego, mount up, and have a great rest of the day.
BERT1FLORES likes this.

Richie
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-10-2018, 09:29 AM

These one ego buster out there, it's called "A Trike"
Try it, you'll love it........

2012 GOLDWING ROADSMITH TRIKE:

A real butt-kickin', wheelie popp'in, tire burn'in. eye catch'in Old Man's Bike.

Mike W.
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-10-2018, 09:36 AM
Administrator

Garage
My last "oops" was just outside SSM Ontario on my way to PA in July. Pulled in for fuel, wasn't paying proper attention to the angle on the concrete pad by the pump. Put the stand down and as I attempted to climb off, the off camber tilt pulled the darn bike right over on the right hand side. Fortunately the station attendant has seen this so many times (common occurrence he told me after we righted the bike) he came running out and gave me a hand getting the beast back up. Pays to pay attention to small things very closely. I had to get out the tools and reset my highway board but other than that all was OK. My sun and wind burn hid my red face.
crownfire, NREMTP and BERT1FLORES like this.

grab all the kicks you can baby, you only make this scene once!
current rides: '09 GL1800AD "SENSHI"; 2003 RVT1000r (RC51) track bike... certified m/c addict. IDMWT #12. GWRRA #028890
Daryl
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-11-2018, 01:57 PM

That off camber tilt will get you every time. There was the time I was stopped on the freeway on my way to work by a LEO. We have a nice conversation. I thanked him for doing a tough job. He explained that the construction zone speed limit was still in effect for another few blocks, even though the construction zone was long gone. He didn't write me up. I walked back to the bike, leaned over to grab the helmet hanging from the right grip, and knocked the bike right over. He smiled, got out of the car, and helped me lift it up. "Not having a good morning", he said. I just laughed and took off.

And what is it about cemeteries? I ride with the PGR, and I can't tell you how many times, all the bikes are parking along the road, and I'm looking for a spot to turn around so I can keep the left side lower. In California, all the cemeteries are built on hillsides and the are NEVER flat, and they almost have drainage channels diagonally across the poorly maintained roads.
BERT1FLORES likes this.

Richie
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-11-2018, 06:33 PM

Especially while learning use only 2nd gear. First gear is just too jumpy.
BERT1FLORES likes this.
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-12-2018, 07:49 PM Thread Starter

I took the wife out to eat the other day and did surprisingly well.
The only pucker factor was in the gravel parking lot and slow speeds. because of the shoe slipping in the gravel I can see this as a problem for every wing rider.

2016 LVL2
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-12-2018, 07:53 PM
TAL

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to TAL
Quote:
Originally Posted by BERT1FLORES View Post
I took the wife out to eat the other day and did surprisingly well.
The only pucker factor was in the gravel parking lot and slow speeds. because of the shoe slipping in the gravel I can see this as a problem for every wing rider.
Tell me about it. Me on a Wing and gravel don't really go together.
BERT1FLORES likes this.

Tom
IDMWT Club Member # 82
Have you confessed today?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode