Saw the new Wing at the NY IMS last weekend - Honda Goldwing Forums
 21Likes

post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-04-2017, 06:17 PM Thread Starter

Saw the new Wing at the NY IMS last weekend

I finally got to see the new Wing this weekend. Me and few buddies went up to NY to see it and sit on it. We should be able to do test rides in January. I have to say I'm looking forward to the test ride, if nothing else, to sway my opinion of the bike back over to a more position opinion. Having a 32 inch inseam, I have to say I felt a bit cramped sitting on the bike. It's noticeably smaller when you look at it and sit on it. To be fair, I was cramped on my 2015, but was able to get around that with a new seat. I'm not sure a new seat would help on the 2018. The only way to extend a cockpit is to take a little from the passenger and the new Wing doesn't seem to have any room to spare in the passenger area. Also, the passenger floorboards look just slightly bigger than foot pegs turned horizontal. I was really digging the new electronics, that is until I went to some other manufacturers booths and saw their touch screen infotainment systems. I knew Harley had been doing it for a few years, but now they are on Indians, the new Yamaha's, etc.. It really does make a big difference functionally. I don't know why Honda chose not to do that. The sound quality of the audio system was really nice. No complaints there. The paint on these new bikes is also very well done. Makes my current paint job look like some kid's finger painting project. The trunk is good for a small bag or a helmet. Not much more in my opinion. I can't see two helmets with bluetooth on them fitting in there. I can barely do that with the current trunk it's larger. The saddle bags were disappointing. I try to pack light, but that's really going to test the lightest packer. One other thing that would take some getting used to is the handlebar position. It's comfortable, but it looks a little strange, because of the way the bars come back and the fact that there is a big open area under the controls and between the bars and the new front suspension. If you can imagine yourself sitting behind a tricycle and holding onto tricycle bars, that's kind of what it felt like. It was uncomfortable, just different.

I think Honda hit the mark on the sportier look they appear to be going for, but I think they missed the mark on the size of the bike. It doesn't need to be as big as the models it's replacing, but it does need to be bigger than an ST1300.

Overall, I ended up kind of neutral on the bike. One of my buddies was much more enthused, but he's a much shorter guy. The others are all 6ft or better and were less impressed. I'll reserve my final opinion for the test ride. I have a feeling I'll be impressed with the power, and I'm hoping the automatic surprises me, because it just felt weird sitting on a big with no clutch in front of my hand. Reminded me of one of my old minibikes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-04-2017, 07:08 PM
Super Moderator

thanks for the review slo. sound like the new wing needs some reworking but I hope they sell a ton of them so I can pick up a low mileage '10 in a few years
Cantankerous and slowrollin like this.

'75cb750k '05sunL 70
'79cb750f '93 gl1500 se
'79 super K '85 cb450 sc
'11 GSA
'06 mighty ST1300a

~ william ~
IDMWt #13
ama
GWOF iba with timS #03
iba 58509
mile eater
hat
moa
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-04-2017, 11:09 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
From the way the bike is described it sounds like a GL1800 brought down to the size of a GL1200.
HappyTrails and slowrollin like this.

IDMHT#1
Go Navy!
Retired trike builder/motorcycle tech.

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-05-2017, 09:11 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by trike lady View Post
From the way the bike is described it sounds like a GL1800 brought down to the size of a GL1200.
That's actually about right!
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-05-2017, 05:27 PM

You went to the NYC show and were able to get close to the bikes?!?! Did you sneak in before doors opened? LOL
Me and my buddies went there instead of Cleveland a few years ago - shoulder to shoulder, a-hole to belly button. Been going to Cleveland again ever since.
Looking forward to seeing these in person too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-05-2017, 06:10 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmc5811 View Post
You went to the NYC show and were able to get close to the bikes?!?! Did you sneak in before doors opened? LOL
Me and my buddies went there instead of Cleveland a few years ago - shoulder to shoulder, a-hole to belly button. Been going to Cleveland again ever since.
Looking forward to seeing these in person too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You know, it was crowded but not packed. I actually walked in there and was sitting on the bike within 10 minutes. I actually spent a lot of time sitting on the Tourer with DCT and without as well as the Goldwing.
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-05-2017, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowrollin View Post
I was cramped on my 2015, but was able to get around that with a new seat. I'm not sure a new seat would help on the 2018. The only way to extend a cockpit is to take a little from the passenger and the new Wing doesn't seem to have any room to spare in the passenger area.
It will be interesting if the $900.00 seat that Honda offers as a option on the '18 will work out.
I think for that price, I would have one custom made.

2012 GOLDWING ROADSMITH TRIKE:

A real butt-kickin', wheelie popp'in, tire burn'in. eye catch'in Old Man's Bike.

Mike W.
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-06-2017, 08:13 AM
Administrator

Garage
We have a dealer meeting this afternoon. This will be my first experience with the new bikes. Won't be any riding though, weather out here isn't conducive to that action.

grab all the kicks you can baby, you only make this scene once!
current rides: '09 GL1800AD "SENSHI"; 2003 RVT1000r (RC51) track bike... certified m/c addict. IDMWT #12. GWRRA #028890
Daryl
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-06-2017, 08:55 AM

Garage
Thanks for the feedback, I was afraid it would not be the bike for us tall folks. My 93 GL1500 took a lot of work to make comfortable, pushed the seat 4" back and 2.5" up and rotated the bars forward and bent them outward, had hwy pegs mounted on the leading tube of the engine guards and rotated forward. I am 6'4" and have 36" inseam so the wing is just not easy at all to make fit me, even after all that I did it still felt like I was doing the splits if I put both feet up on the pegs. I loved riding my wing because of what and how the bike was and performed and all the accessories, the 1500 is bigger and more roomy than an 1800 so if the 2018 is smaller than the older 1800's I don't think one will ever be part of my stable. Tall people problems......lol
slowrollin likes this.

2003 Kawasaki Concours ZG1000 (Red Sonja)

Yeeehaawwww!!

Dustin

post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-06-2017, 09:23 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltlife12 View Post
It will be interesting if the $900.00 seat that Honda offers as a option on the '18 will work out.
I think for that price, I would have one custom made.
One of the Tourers had the accessory seat on it, or so the dealer said. I saw Dealer because the gentleman introduced himself as the highest volume Honda dealer in the Northeast. He said the seat sits you up a bit higher. I didn't notice any real difference in height while the bike was on the center stand. I didn't see any difference at all in how far I was sitting back. I remember sitting there thinking "what makes this seat $900?". I guess I didn't have all of the info to make a fair assessment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode