Saw the new Wing at the NY IMS last weekend - Page 2 - Honda Goldwing Forums
 21Likes

post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-06-2017, 01:08 PM

Garage
Hey Slo, Thanks for the review. I have been looking for and reading everything I can on the new wing. I haven't seen one myself so reviews from others helps a lot. I had a feeling it would be a tight fit on this new bike. It's like they build these bikes for Japanese and then send them here for US riders. They don't seem to realize most of us are bigger over here. I saw Honda said they did a servery and they found most Goldwing riders only do day or two trips? I really don't know who they talked to? It's clear to me they are going after the sport touring segment with this new bike. I think most real touring riders will pass on this bike. All the new stuff is great but it's just not a touring machine. Your right about the touch screen and they really should have done something about the rear suspension. Again Thanks!
slowrollin likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-06-2017, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by budoka View Post
We have a dealer meeting this afternoon. This will be my first experience with the new bikes. Won't be any riding though, weather out here isn't conducive to that action.
budoka,
I 'll be extremely interested on your review after test riding a Tour model--how do you feel this bike fits the 'long-tour' genre traits.

let me know

I have seen all the vids, but would be more interested on your perspective
slowrollin likes this.

A giant star blew up, elements combined, a long time passed and then, there you are. The mother of all mothers, even yours, is a supernova.

Last edited by nando; 12-11-2017 at 12:58 PM.
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-07-2017, 08:34 AM
Administrator

Garage
Well, unfortunately we didn't get a chance to ride the Wings yesterday (for reasons I mentioned previously). But, we did go through an extensive technical rundown and discussed some of the many features (especially electronics) and believe me, dealerships and their sales/service personnel have a lot of work ahead of them to get up to speed on how it all works. I'll do my best to give you the feeling I took away from it all.
Visual: While videos are nice, seeing the bikes in person is a whole different matter. The profile of the Wing is very impressive from any angle, and without a prior model to stand beside it, the visual cues while very much up to speed with today's tastes, are unmistakably Goldwing. Fit and finish is stunning (IMO) and once knowing how to open and close everything and poke around discovering what's what. The new windscreen is somewhat a scaled down take off from the 'bender on my '09. In speaking with two reps that have ridden the prototypes, it works exceptionally well in spite of the diminished dimensional specs. Having ridden other bikes with what I thought were tiny protective shields, it is amazing how well they can work in the real world. The cantilever design reportedly does reduce buffeting that many of our members find obtrusive in the older bikes. The electric adjustment control is brilliant in how it functions.
Comfort: This might sound contradictory, but I sat on the bike both front and rear, as well as a passenger and having someone else on the back. I found the passenger portion smaller, but not cramped for my bulk, but a long ride may prove otherwise. The seat is firm, supportive, and while certainly;y not last edition's "couch" but it has a relaxed feel due to the sculpting of the new shape. Knee position for my 32" inseam is vastly improved but really, only time in the saddle will tell just how beneficial it might be. Still no ideas on highway and foot boards (driver pegs will be a pretty easy addition) but the really small (but effective??) engine guards will no doubt pose a conundrum for the aftermarket for a while. Passenger foot boards will just take some getting used to for most pillion riders (again IMO). What I did notice immediately is the passenger backrest is definitely narrower and lower, so passengers of bigger stature will find it quite cramped from the previous bike. Same with passenger leg, hip and back room. Word of advice for those that are serious about purchasing this bike: plan right now on removing the helmet lock bracket for riding, store it somewhere and then use as a retention for lids as needed.
Luggage: I know saying this might rankle some of you, but I was actually not really concerned about the new volume of space available. Yes, the bags and trunk are smaller, but not as small as you may think. I spent a long time studying their capacity and I came away thinking "this really is OK" unless you like the ability to carry tons of gear for really long trips (probably for peeps like Eric and Lady V) but there will be added accommodations from Rivco, Kuryakin and other manufacturers; in time of course. There are many thoughtful "little things" built in in the 'dummy tank' (non-airbag) and fairing to house those little items, including a trunk compartment for your smartphone to access either the bluetooth functionality or the Apple Play feature.
More soon
NREMTP and slowrollin like this.

grab all the kicks you can baby, you only make this scene once!
[/COLOR]current rides: '09 GL1800AD "SENSHI"; 2003 RVT1000r (RC51) track bike... certified m/c addict. IDMWT #12. GWRRA #028890
Daryl

post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-07-2017, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by budoka View Post
believe me, dealerships and their sales/service personnel have a lot of work ahead of them to get up to speed on how it all works.
This is the reason many will stay away from the first year Goldwing's redesign.
Like mentioned. many hours of learning the operation/repairs/trouble shooting ahead for service and sales alike.

Good review.

2012 GOLDWING ROADSMITH TRIKE:

A real butt-kickin', wheelie popp'in, tire burn'in. eye catch'in Old Man's Bike.

Mike W.
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-07-2017, 09:57 AM
Administrator

Garage
Chassis: While it's very hard to talk about the improvements in the chassis without actually riding it, the details of the front and rear improvement are impressive. In speaking with the two guys that did ride them, the transmission of road irregularities is a thing of the past, as is the likelihood of tire cupping (unless owners are negligent in pressure maintenance) and the infamous front end wobble is gone. Ride compliance is 100% dependent on how the rider sets the adjustments within the system, but the multiple settings is vastly superior to before. The rear has a similar activation to the old bike, but has more settings than just pre-load. That means road surface, passenger carrying, and luggage weight can be compensated according to riding style and desires. We didn't discuss the traction control feature at all.
Electronics: This is far too involved for me to get into as yet since I have so much learning left to do, but all the interfaces/functions are quite simple to get on to with hands on experimentation. However, while the "old Wing" wasn't really a bike you wanted to let out of the dealership in the hands of a non indoctrinated rider, the new bike is far more involved. Honda claims the ills of the old NAVI are replaced by the new system and the issues that many riders found to be a real pain should be a thing of the past and functionality is on par with the best systems out there on the competition (e.g. BMW, HD...). For those of you that are wondering, Honda has totally decided to not target former Harley faithful with the new bike. While surveys have HD respondents stating that they are not happy with their bike in several respects, over 90% of them said they would never switch. So with that in mind, the target market is other Japanese manufacturers and the BMW and sport touring riders looking for something different. I know some of you are going to argue that this direction will alienate some of the "old Goldwing Faithful", Honda realizes that but as many of us in the Wing fold are definitely aging and Honda is targeting a newer, younger demographic. A bold move to be sure, but I think in the long run a wise one. I for one will likely never wear out my 1800 before I get too old and feeble to ride it anymore.
Now about the key fob. Caution! Do not lose your key fob. If you do, that means you will need to replace the fob, the ECU, and the fob control unit in the front of the bike under/near the handlebars. To say this would be ultra expensive is an understatement. Not as critical for Canadian model bikes as we get two fobs, but US bikes only get one. There is a tag on the ring that has a security code to punch into the bike (I also don't fully understand the procedure for this) should your battery in the fob go dead and you can't start the bike or open anything (luggage, fuel door etc) else. Make a copy of the code to keep in a safe spot or copy it to your phone, somewhere accessible in case of emergency. The backup key contained in the fob should also be stored somewhere safe and accessible just in case.
Service: Honda Canada tells us that this bike is not a "user friendly" bike for the untrained mechanic. I spoke directly about the air filter and if you thought the old one was difficult or worrisome to access, this one may even be worse, especially if it has an airbag.. In removing the airbag unit, extreme care needs to be taken that the fasteners that hold the unit in place can be easily knocked out and lost during service. Not an insurmountable situation, but means a vehicle down time if you can't find the screws. The myriad of electronics requires serious training to look into trouble shooting, and Honda is providing service classes for GL techs. But they are classroom hands on sessions with limited enrollment due to the highly technical material to be dealt with. As well (at least here in Canada) they are few and far between so accessibility will be very difficult for many dealerships. But it has to be done that way.
Performance: While the new bike isn't going to win a drag race with a K1600, the engine and transmission, chassis and riding position leave the previous model lacking for sure. The reps said changing back and forth from the '17 to the '18 left no doubt that the '18 is better on the road in every way. One of the better changes, according to one of them was the 200 series tire on the rear. Smoother transition into turns and very solid on the turn line. Front end is quicker too, without being twitchy or abrupt. One of the comments was the old 1800 felt "squishy" in comparison. I need some seat time to be that bold since I love my 1800's handling so much. Mind you, given my current financial and life positions, perhaps I'd better not ride one...
Overall Impression: In almost all aspects, this new bike impresses the heck out of me, the only thing we couldn't really do was start them in the meeting room and I would have loved to hear the exhaust note. The rep I spoke to was very keen on the sound of the new bike, and said it would be one of the things that could just seal the deal for newer, younger riders. He did say it wasn't loud by any means (probably similar to mine with the Kingsnakes) which is no 1500 with stock pipes at all but certainly not a detriment to the bike (IMO) and many of you have heard my bike so you be the judge on that. I do believe that even with the luggage capacity, possible seating and passenger ergos, and smaller fuel capacity, I think Honda hit it right over the center field fence this time. If you are one of the ones chomping at the bit for this new Goldwing (whatever model) I can tell you that especially in Canada they will be very limited in supply and availability possibly well into the summer, maybe longer. Another drawback is there is going to be an almost total lack of demo bikes to test ride due to that lack of availability; the US will probably be not as shy of units. I know how hard it is to put down the green for an unknown entity, but if you really do want one, you may have to do just that. I know for a fact that the brown "no trunk" base Goldwing is going to be exceptionally rare up here. Time and sales will tell the story.

p.s. due to various embargoes and confidentiality issues, I was barred from taking photos of anything on display yesterday. But there are enough pics in the stuff Bill and others posted and videos everywhere to look at and by January or February there will be the real thing to look at in many dealerships
NREMTP and slowrollin like this.

[/COLOR]current rides: '09 GL1800AD "SENSHI"; 2003 RVT1000r (RC51) track bike... certified m/c addict. IDMWT #12. GWRRA #028890
Daryl

Last edited by budoka; 12-07-2017 at 10:00 AM.
post #16 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-07-2017, 11:36 AM Thread Starter

Budoka, Did you happen to notice if the Navigation, music, etc..... is touch screen. I forgot to check that.
post #17 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-07-2017, 11:59 AM
Administrator

Garage
Never even thought of that, but I don't believe it is. I'll be asking for sure tomorrow when I'm doing more training. That's not the only thing I missed in that melee of a crowd...was a tad busy with 50 dealerships in attendance.

Daryl

Last edited by budoka; 12-07-2017 at 03:48 PM.
post #18 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-07-2017, 02:31 PM

Latest 2018 Goldwing Info -

Hey Budoka - Thanks for the update on the 2018 Goldwing. I had not read about the potential expense incurred if you were to lose your only 2018 Goldwing key fob. Yikes, for me this would be kind of spooky because I'm notoriously known (especially by my wife) as someone with a long list of misplaced items.

Perhaps the services of one of the many "Clone My Key Fob " companies would be able to help settle the Key Fob Jitters of a new Goldwing owner ? I'm sure Honda's security code format would initially be kept pretty close to their vest - but it seems to me they would make some kind of concession to assist the sales efforts of their dealers ?

https://www.clonemykey.com/

Michael
Madrussian likes this.

Last edited by jkmcdonald123; 12-07-2017 at 02:51 PM.
post #19 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-07-2017, 04:06 PM
Administrator

Garage
Not sure about the US bikes, but the Canadian models you can have up to 4 fobs without having to worry about ECU and control box replacements. But until tomorrow I won't know how to go about getting the extra fobs. I also likely won't know if the US bikes allow for 4 fobs either, it depends on whether American Honda released all the differences to us up here.There are a few things that our Canadian bikes have (feature wise) that the US models don't which I will address more clearly after the session is done. Stay tuned...

Daryl
post #20 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-07-2017, 04:54 PM

Thankyou for a great report Daryl. I am not having sour grapes but I know that this latest Goldwing is not for me when I retire. So then it will be................

1/ Do I go with a different brand?

2/ Is a secondhand 16, 17 Goldwing the best opion.

3/ Will I find that the 1500 is going to be the best bike even with it's age against it.

The reason for buying a 1500 next year is because of the mileage that I will need to cover in the next 4 years maybe a big ask for a bike that is 34 years old and it has 130,000 miles. ( I keep getting hit with some member not knowing what kms are )

When all else fails.......... use a hammer!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode