Wire size & Watts - Honda Goldwing Forums
 10Likes

post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-10-2017, 06:53 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Wire size & Watts

I have a set of fog lights that are using 35w bulbs.

I want to upgrade these to 55w or better 100w bulbs. I wonder if the stock OEM wires will handle 100w. I feel pretty sure the wires will handle the 55w bulbs. These are H3 bulbs.

Mark & Audrey
IDMWT #83
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-10-2017, 09:59 AM
Administrator

Garage
I'm not sure what gauge the OEM wire harness is so I'm not much help. Hopefully one of the other members that has more electrical sense than me can chime in.

grab all the kicks you can baby, you only make this scene once!
[/COLOR]current rides: '09 GL1800AD "SENSHI"; 2003 RVT1000r (RC51) track bike... certified m/c addict. IDMWT #12. GWRRA #028890
Daryl
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-10-2017, 10:35 AM
Lifetime Premium

Consider this at 35 watts on a 12 volt system you are drawing 2.9 amps per bulb. at 100 watts on the same 12 volt system you are drawing 8.3 amps per bulb. So you would be almost tripling the current draw through the wires.

From the Northwest Corner
Ron
The Land of Tall mountains
IDMWT #5

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-10-2017, 02:07 PM

Wire size (Gauge) is determined by the Amperes the wire will be asked to carry and the distance/length of the wire. To determine the expected Amperes use the formula: Watts (P) = Voltage (E) X Amperes (I). Simplified this is P=E*I, or in terms of the Amperes it is I = P/E. Do NOT use 12 Volts as the voltage. The normal charging system voltage range is 12 to 16 volts. Since Amperes increase with increasing voltage, you must use 16 as the voltage in your calculations. Use this formula along with the attached chart to determine the proper wire gauge/size. I would consider lighting to be a "critical" circuit for the purposes of this chart.

For example: To run two 100 Watt lights (200 Watts total) on a circuit that can see 16 volts; the amperage I would use for my calculations would be: I = 200/16 or I = 12.5 Amperes. Looking at this chart, to be on the safe side I'd use the 15 Amperes column. If the total wire length is 0-6 feet use a 14 Gauge wire, 6 to 10 feet go up to a 12 gauge wire, etc. While under-sizing the wire (higher gauge number) by a little bit, emphasis on "little," is not likely cause a safety problem, it will cause a voltage drop in the circuit that will lower the performance (light output) of the lamp.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Wire Gauge Chart - LR1.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	109.3 KB
ID:	241713  
Madrussian and Luv2fish like this.

Last edited by Bluehighways; 10-10-2017 at 02:14 PM.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-10-2017, 04:16 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluehighways View Post
Since Amperes increase with increasing voltage, you must use 16 as the voltage in your calculations.
For example: To run two 100 Watt lights (200 Watts total) on a circuit that can see 16 volts; the amperage I would use for my calculations would be: I = 200/16 or I = 12.5 Amperes.
Minor correction. Amperes DECREASE with increasing voltage. Using a lower voltage will be more appropriate. 200w/12v=16.7 amps. Your wires and connectors must be able to carry that load. Good luck with your mod, and hopefully Bluehighways can recommend the proper size wire. too
Madrussian likes this.

Bob
2012 ABS "Red Ghost"
IDMWT 65
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-10-2017, 06:00 PM
Lifetime Premium

Resistance is futile.

Lee.
Darksider since I finally saw the Light.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-10-2017, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NREMTP View Post
Minor correction. Amperes DECREASE with increasing voltage. Using a lower voltage will be more appropriate. 200w/12v=16.7 amps. Your wires and connectors must be able to carry that load. Good luck with your mod, and hopefully Bluehighways can recommend the proper size wire. too
I believe that you may confusing Independent and Dependent variables. Voltage and Resistance are Independent variables while Current and Power are Dependent. Wattage is the result of the Voltage applied and the Amperage flowing through the Resistance. When a device is listed as "X" Watts they will typically provide the voltage at which that wattage will be generated. While it is probable that the 100W lamp that the OP is looking at is/was rated at 12.0 Volts, in a forum such as this it is probably better/safer to assume that it may be rated at the normal high end of the charging system Voltage used by vehicle manufacturers. This can make for better advertising copy. If the OP uses a slightly larger wire than is needed, no harm, no foul. OTOH the opposite may not be the case.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-10-2017, 06:06 PM
Lifetime Premium

Resistance is constant.

From the Northwest Corner
Ron
The Land of Tall mountains
IDMWT #5
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-10-2017, 06:45 PM

The wiring can handle 55W bulbs, but the switch on it’s own will not and the circuit will require a relay to carry this load. I would not use 100W bulbs that close to the roadway, half of the light will be wasted on the roadway directly in front of the bike and not projected very far down the road.

Resistance is constant and the power and current will vary with the voltage applied. Goodluck, don’t burn it down...
NREMTP likes this.

Candy Red 2004
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-11-2017, 07:00 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I want to thank everyone for the help. Ron Robertson, Bluehighways.. thanks a lot for the chart and the writeup. I saved the chart and I'll be using it in the future too.

Nremtp - Techdude 2000 - Budoka - Chopin - thanks guys!

Looks like I'm not going to burn things up now! I'm going to measure the wire's gauge and go from there. My feelings without looking at the wires but at the chart I'll go no higher than the 55w.
budoka and NREMTP like this.

Mark & Audrey
IDMWT #83
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode