Looks like a trike is in my future... but what kind? - Honda Goldwing Forums
 6Likes

post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-19-2017, 08:46 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Looks like a trike is in my future... but what kind?

OK, I've decided that I will need to sell the GL1500 and get a trike. It's just too darn heavy and tall for me to get it off the sidestand when I'm on any kind of pavement that slopes to the left. (I ain't happy about it, but... there are a lot of other things I ain't happy about and the universe don't care about them, either.)

I'm leaning towards taking Fossil's advice and looking for a GL1800 trike.

Now... here's the tough part. What KIND??? I'm still unsure about the Motor Trike conversions - something in the looks just doesn't appeal to me. I'D love a Hannigan, but they're pricy and Alix thinks it's too big (and she'll be the relief pilot on long trips if I need it, so her opinion IS important!). Now, there IS a Motor Trike dealer an hour away, so I'll be riding down there to give a good hard look at them before I completely write them off. Besides, the owner is a Brother, and I like doing business with other Masons.

BUT... Champion? Lehman? CSC? RoadSmith? etc... Would any of you who have experience with other than MotorTrike trikes weigh in with your opinions? Good, bad and ugly?

And then I need to figure out what year, to look for. Is there a particular year GL1800 I should avoid? A particular problem I should worry about whether the bike has or not... Jeez, this ain't easy. But winter is coming, when the bike will go snooze in the barn, and I'll have time to research this.

So thanks for any advice y'all care to offer.

2003 GL1800 Motor Trike - "Canth"
2002 V-Star - "Raven"

Past Master, Franklin Lodge AF&AM Grafton MA
Member Libanus Lodge #47, Bristol VT
Widows Sons VT - Charter Member
Lugeless Pavement Racers - Member #6
IDMWT #67
NRA Certified Instructor
Appleseed Instructor
FFL - Lonely Mountain Arms, Starksboro, VT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-19-2017, 09:16 AM

I live 10 miles from the Motortrike manufacturing plant in Troup, Tx. A few of the guys, Fossil and Randy have one and love them. I've ridden them too and liked the ride. You might just try one out as there's more than looks involved in the mix. Kinda like buying a bike. I've seen plenty that looked nice but didn't fit me. Good luck on yer mission mate.

Dan Bowman

2003 Honda Silverwing ABS
2005 Kymco Bet and Win 250
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-19-2017, 09:19 AM
Administrator

Garage
I'd say do as much investigating (first hand) as you can and use your seat of the pants judgement, and HERS of course. Test rides would be the best, just as nay other bike purchase. Features are also important (IRS, steering kits, storage/luggage volume, lighting, rock guard...). I've only had one trike and very briefly, so I'm no expert, just mentioning things that I would consider.
Scooter1 likes this.

grab all the kicks you can baby, you only make this scene once!
[/COLOR]current rides: '09 GL1800AD "SENSHI"; 2003 RVT1000r (RC51) track bike... certified m/c addict. IDMWT #12. GWRRA #028890
Daryl

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-19-2017, 09:54 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
@Dwarven1 as far as your question in particular of the 1800's. Just be sure that all recalls, and service bulletins have been completed.

IE: Frame bracing 2001-2003 I believe???
Brake recalls All 1800's but may not impact you depending on trike manufacture

I'm sure other 1800 guys will chime in since I do not have one and may not know other items recalled or issued as a service bulletin.

Whoever said a woman can't make up their mind never met a Male Motorcycle Rider

GWOF IB COUPLE #2

MEMBER GWOF IB TRIO #1/Overall #4

FR #91
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-19-2017, 11:17 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fossil92 View Post
@Dwarven1 as far as your question in particular of the 1800's. Just be sure that all recalls, and service bulletins have been completed.

IE: Frame bracing 2001-2003 I believe???
Brake recalls All 1800's but may not impact you depending on trike manufacture

I'm sure other 1800 guys will chime in since I do not have one and may not know other items recalled or issued as a service bulletin.

Fossil is very close on the frame issue, 2001-early 2004 were affected. You can go to the NHTSA website and look up the VIN to check it out.

https://www.nhtsa.gov/recalls?gclid=...TpzxoC_Yzw_wcB

There were also cooling issues with the 2001-2005, but I have never had my 2004 overheat climbing slow mountain roads or in 95* weather.

2004 GL1800 Bloodstone Red Metallic
1988 GL1500/6 Martini Beige Metallic (Sold)
1984 GL1200 Pearl Saturn Red/Century Brown Metallic (Sold)
1981 Honda CM400T Candy Sword Blue with Metallic Light Blue (Cubed and Recycled)

IDMWT #23
Member #3480

Homo praesumitur bonus donec probetur malus

post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-19-2017, 08:28 PM

Motor Trike kits look pretty good but the function should be considered. Other alternative maybe CSC is a big one. And another is Roadsmith? At $15 to trike a wing its expensive.

Last edited by HappyTrails; 09-19-2017 at 10:52 PM.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-19-2017, 10:04 PM

I have a Roadsmith 2010,1800 trike, which I have thoroughly enjoyed for over two years without any problems. My understanding is that these trike kits with independent suspensions have a smoother ride than straight-axel trike kits. However, I am told that straight-axel kits provide better handling on twisty mountain road. Whichever kit you choose, you will need to get the front end rake kit (easy steer). I got mine from kdcycle.net, owner is Kevin Dodd, who can give you more info. 1-256-490-0039.

Last edited by George Henderson; 09-20-2017 at 03:27 AM.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-20-2017, 01:29 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Henderson View Post
I have a Roadsmith 2010,1800 trike, which I have thoroughly enjoyed for over two years without any problems. My understanding is that these trike kits with independent suspensions have a smoother ride than straight-axel trike kits. However, I am told that straight-axel kits provide better handling on twisty mountain road. Whichever kit you choose, you will need to get the front end rake kit (easy steer). I got mine from kdcycle.net, owner is Kevin Dodd, who can give you more info. 1-256-490-0039.
Thanks for the feedback, George. Given that I live in Vermont and LOVE twisties (google the Appalachian Gap sometime - I live about 3-4 miles from the bottom of it.), better handling is crucial.

Interesting you should mention KD Cycle - they have a LOT of auctions up on eBay for trikes. Wish they weren't so far away so I could go try a few out!

Thanks to all for their feedback. Keep it coming!

2003 GL1800 Motor Trike - "Canth"
2002 V-Star - "Raven"

Past Master, Franklin Lodge AF&AM Grafton MA
Member Libanus Lodge #47, Bristol VT
Widows Sons VT - Charter Member
Lugeless Pavement Racers - Member #6
IDMWT #67
NRA Certified Instructor
Appleseed Instructor
FFL - Lonely Mountain Arms, Starksboro, VT
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-20-2017, 03:12 PM

2013 Roadsmith HTS

I've had a ROADSMITH HTS on my 2012 GL1800 for almost 40K miles. No problems. Delivers a very stable smooth ride. Would recommend you take one for a test ride as well as any other you have access to. Good Triking!
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-20-2017, 04:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Henderson View Post
I have also been told the straight axle handles better, if it does it can't be by much. My brother has a Roadsmith trike can hang in the corners with any of the touring bikes we ride with, including my two wheel wing. He smokes our buddy on his Harley Tri-Glide which has a shorter wheel base and a straight axle.

With this in mind I would not exclude independent suspension units with out first riding them.

Trikes and two wheeler on Moonshine 28 .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Moonshine 28.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	240169  
George Henderson likes this.

Friends don't let friends do stupid stuff (alone)
2003 GL1800, 1978 Kawasaki KZ650(needs restoring)

"Glory Days"

Jim King, Beartooth Clan member, IDMWT #89, Geezer Gang #2, 2018 Beer Cap Champ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode