Tips for riding with passenger (Co-rider) - Page 2 - Honda Goldwing Forums
 9Likes

post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-12-2017, 03:13 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayfarer View Post
Marvin: Notice the IDMWT# in most of our signatures? It stands for "I dropped my wing today". It is a proud membership of fellow riders. :-)

I find the most important thing is pointing my front tire straight forward when stopping. Almost all of my drops (yes there have been more than one) have happened because I turned my front wheel toward a turn then stopped. If my wife leans just a little in that direction at the same time, down we go.

Good news is no injuries or damage have every occurred. Once that beast starts going down you will not be able to stop it. Just get off, use the technique shown in the video above, pick her up (the bike), dust off your pride and travel on.

Happy riding
That is so funny, because 30 minutes ago IDMWT. Riding her around town instead of my Shadow to get used to her. Pulled in a blind parking spot at an angle and a car was coming from other side. Still havent shook my bad instinct to hit the front break so down she went. Cant believe how gentley she laid herself down . And like all the videos I watched still sitting at 45 and yes the co-rider seat is still so high I wouldnt be concerned about the wife. Mine however does not lie on her front engine guard but on the highway pad - but it seems robust enough to take it. Two guys came running over to help but I asked them to hold off and let me try it by myself. Sure enough I got it up (thats what he said) with no problem. I was lucky to lie it on the right so putting the kickstand down first helped, but i controlled it enough to turn around and face her and could have put the stand down if it was the other side. Feel much better about things now. Maybe I subconciousley wanted to lay her down (Yea right). I dont know if i mentioned it before but i did drop her in the yard already and needed the wife to help me get it up (thats what she said) but that was bfore watching the videos.

So.... IDMWT #2 (in less than a week)

Marvin - Rhode Island
1985 Honda Magna 500 (needs a little work)
1998 Honda Shadow Spirit VT1100
1996 GoldWing Aspencade GL1500
IDMWT #90
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-12-2017, 03:27 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Copy and Paste the story to this thread and you will be issued a IDMWT number by one of our keepers of the numbers @Two Wheel Wing or @crownfire

https://www.goldwingowners.com/forums...ership-80.html

Whoever said a woman can't make up their mind never met a Male Motorcycle Rider

GWOF IB COUPLE #2

MEMBER GWOF IB TRIO #1/Overall #4

FR #91
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-12-2017, 03:38 PM

Location: Wheatland. Missouri on Pomme De Terre Lake 2008 GL1800 IDMWT #63
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madrussian View Post
Al, where did you put the kitchen sink? Was it hidden in the trunk?
Of course, you know me, where else would it be?????

Alan & Carol (RIP, PistolPete, Prissy & Loki ),

Proud member #63 of the IDMWT Club.
Darkside # 1696
Rear - Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3 ZP - 195/55R16 87H BSW - Winter Tire

post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-12-2017, 03:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fossil92 View Post
Copy and Paste the story to this thread and you will be issued a IDMWT number by one of our keepers of the numbers @Two Wheel Wing or @crownfire

https://www.goldwingowners.com/forums...ership-80.html
Oh, So wayfarer's IDMWT#85 doesnt mean he dropped it 85 times, oops.
NREMTP likes this.

Marvin - Rhode Island
IDMWT #90
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-12-2017, 03:43 PM

Location: Wheatland. Missouri on Pomme De Terre Lake 2008 GL1800 IDMWT #63
Garage
Heck, I dropped my 1200 the day I bought it. I also dropped it one time on my foot. That time wasn't any fun at all. Hurt like hell when I had to pull my foot out of the boot that was caught under the bike and left most of my skin in the boot.

Alan & Carol (RIP, PistolPete, Prissy & Loki ),

Proud member #63 of the IDMWT Club.
Darkside # 1696
Rear - Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3 ZP - 195/55R16 87H BSW - Winter Tire
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-12-2017, 03:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwims View Post
Heck, I dropped my 1200 the day I bought it. I also dropped it one time on my foot. That time wasn't any fun at all. Hurt like hell when I had to pull my foot out of the boot that was caught under the bike and left most of my skin in the boot.
Been there, done that . On my VT1100 Shadow Spirit two months ago pulling into the breakdown lane and hitting the rumble strips. landed hard on my back cracked 3 ribs and was stuck under the bike with my boot. Cycle Gear let me return the boot with the heel pulled off . Maybe i can blame my 2 drops of the wing in 4 days on my ribs. (nah they are pretty much healed)

Marvin - Rhode Island
IDMWT #90
post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-12-2017, 05:04 PM

Practice slow speed turns in parking lots help. Just don't get in a hurry to put her on the center stand like I did. My foot slipped off and over she leaned.

I answered you on the IDMWT thread, go back and lay claim to #90.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00668.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	239289  
Badrider likes this.

Mark
It matters not how good you are if an angel pees on the flintlock of your musket. Old German Military saying.
2010 Honda GL1800
GWOF IB Hat #1 with WARWGN
IDMWT #86

post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-12-2017, 06:39 PM

Garage
Nothing really substitutes for practice, especially at the things that cause us trouble or trepidation. A lot, I find, depends on the passenger. If they stay with the bike, keep their back planted against the lean back no matter what, then you are only working to balance one thing. If they keep moving, then you are constantly fighting to balance 2 things. My girls are all in their 30s, I forget the youngest and oldest are even riding with me, easy breezy. The middle daughter is exhausting.
She is terrified she is going to fall off, so she always leans the wrong way. I have threatened to tie her down to ride. A well planned ride can avoid lots of uncomfortable situations. Stop, let them off, then make the slow maneuver, then let them back on, works in parking lots anyways.
crownfire likes this.

IDMWT member #80
Never walk, when you can ride!

current ride : 2013 GL1800 Audio Comfort

Darkside Yokohama Avid ENVigor 195/55 R16
non-runflat

Past rides: '98 GL1500SE
'03 750 Kawasaki Vulcan
'81 850 Suzuki
'80 550 Suzuki
post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-12-2017, 06:41 PM Thread Starter

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by crownfire View Post
Practice slow speed turns in parking lots help. Just don't get in a hurry to put her on the center stand like I did. My foot slipped off and over she leaned.

I answered you on the IDMWT thread, go back and lay claim to #90.
I havent even attempted that yet. Waiting for wife to get back Sunday to spot me. I did cut a piece of plywood for the back wheel like someone suggested but will wait - unless i want more practice getting her back up hmm!

Marvin - Rhode Island
IDMWT #90
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-12-2017, 07:32 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin_RI View Post
I havent even attempted that yet. Waiting for wife to get back Sunday to spot me. I did cut a piece of plywood for the back wheel like someone suggested but will wait - unless i want more practice getting her back up hmm!
There is no need to be wary of the center stand, just stay focused on what you are doing. Make sure you are wearing good shoes/boots with a solid sole or it will be hard on your feet. While putting moderate downward pressure with your foot (some prefer one or the other) while lifting the bike to vertical, you will feel both feet of the center stand contact the ground when she reaches vertical. That is the time to put your full weight on the center stand and let the bike ride up on it. If the bike is not vertical, it will be extremely difficult to get it onto the stand.

Bob
2012 ABS "Red Ghost"
IDMWT 65
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode