To trike or not to trike? Outriggers - TowPac or Voyager? - Honda Goldwing Forums

post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-11-2017, 05:50 PM Thread Starter

Garage
To trike or not to trike? Outriggers - TowPac or Voyager?

This weekend something happened on my ride that is making me think about going to a trike sooner rather than later. (Hell, I'm only 57!)

Went out on a ride with friends (Three Can-Ams and a GL1500 MotorTrike) this weekend. We stopped to let two of them gas up, and when I put my kickstand down I knew instantly I had made a mistake. We were parked on a bit of payment that was sloped down to the left. That means that I had to push up with my bad leg, my left leg, farther than normal to get Canth (my 95 GL1500) off the side stand with Alix and I on it.

I managed to get him up - barely - but I seem to have strained something in my left foot. Had spells yesterday where I could barely walk on it. Had another one today, over 24 hours later. So... I really need to face the fact that I'm kind of getting to where I can't take an 800lb bike and 400 lbs of riders off the sidestand unless I'm on perfectly level ground. We have some of that in Vermont, but not much.

I am afraid that a trike is going to become a necessity sooner rather than later. Probably by the spring. I'll still keep my V-Star 650 (Raven), so I can keep getting my fix of leaning hard in the curves. But for riding 2 up, I think a trike is going to be a necessity. I've been fighting it. I really don't like admitting that I'm getting a little older (57, been riding since I was 22) and parts are getting a little bit on the worn side. But, as Duncan MacLeod put it, "A man's got to do what a man's got to do."

So... Canth is a 95 GL1500 with 97K miles. His seat needs to be recovered and padded better (~$12-1400, local shop), although have a spare I can swap in if I sell him. I also want a new Windbender windshield (~$350) as I don't like the tall one. It'd also be cool to have some of the goodies that you can only get on an 1800, but not a necessity.

And I'm kind of paralyzed here not knowing what to do. There's a MotorTrike dealer down in Rutland, Win's Trikes. There's a TowPac dealer (supposedly) in Queensbury NY (who has ZERO mention of it on their website, although TowPac lists them on their website). There's a Voyager dealer down in Keene, New Hampshire.

But I'm afraid I'm going to miss two wheels too much. Even with the 650 in reserve. And I don't know if I should spend for triking Canth or look for an already done trike and sell the GL1500 for a new Canth. (My bike is ALWAYS named Canth).

So... if you're still with me, if you've gone from 2 to 3 wheels, I'd love to hear your thoughts on the matter. I just don't know where to go from here - I've only taken a trike on a test ride once.

Triking an existing bike - probably what, 8-10K? Outrigger kit, about $4K or 4.5K installed, I'd guess. Just not sure what to do.

2003 GL1800 Motor Trike - "Canth"
2002 V-Star - "Raven"

Past Master, Franklin Lodge AF&AM Grafton MA
Member Libanus Lodge #47, Bristol VT
Widows Sons VT - Charter Member
Lugeless Pavement Racers - Member #6
IDMWT #67
NRA Certified Instructor
Appleseed Instructor
FFL - Lonely Mountain Arms, Starksboro, VT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-11-2017, 06:37 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
It is a tough thing that we do to allow for riding but sometimes necessary. For myself it allowed my wife to continue riding with me, so it was a fairly easy decision. I think your Trike Kit price is fairly close, the Outrigger one may be a bit high.

Although they sell plenty of "Outrigger" type it wasn't anything that interested me. Too training wheel for my taste. I know some guys like they can pull the pins and ride on two wheels but I'm not sure how many actually do that.

We opted (as you know already) to go with a conversion and a Motor Trike kit. Ours was already done when we got it.

Just one Ole Fossil's opinion but If I was in your position I would consider looking for an early model 1800 trike before I would put (you're probably close with the $8-$10K) the kit on your 1500. I'm thinking you should be able to get somewhere in the neighborhood of $4-$5K for your Wing. Not sure how much else you can throw at the transaction but I have seen a few early 1800 trikes go for between 14-18K. Here's one right now on Ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2002-Honda-Goldwing-Trike-/112559154673?hash=item1a350c65f1:g:upcAAOSwnNFZrEl 9&vxp=mtr

Finishing up, you will miss 2 wheels for sure. I personally am okay with it because it allows my best friend to be with me, but it is definitely different than riding on 2 wheels.

Whoever said a woman can't make up their mind never met a Male Motorcycle Rider

GWOF IB COUPLE #2

MEMBER GWOF IB TRIO #1/Overall #4

FR #91
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-11-2017, 08:37 PM

Location: Wheatland. Missouri on Pomme De Terre Lake 2008 GL1800 IDMWT #63
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fossil92 View Post
It is a tough thing that we do to allow for riding but sometimes necessary. For myself it allowed my wife to continue riding with me, so it was a fairly easy decision. I think your Trike Kit price is fairly close, the Outrigger one may be a bit high.

Although they sell plenty of "Outrigger" type it wasn't anything that interested me. Too training wheel for my taste. I know some guys like they can pull the pins and ride on two wheels but I'm not sure how many actually do that.

We opted (as you know already) to go with a conversion and a Motor Trike kit. Ours was already done when we got it.

Just one Ole Fossil's opinion but If I was in your position I would consider looking for an early model 1800 trike before I would put (you're probably close with the $8-$10K) the kit on your 1500. I'm thinking you should be able to get somewhere in the neighborhood of $4-$5K for your Wing. Not sure how much else you can throw at the transaction but I have seen a few early 1800 trikes go for between 14-18K. Here's one right now on Ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2002-Honda-Goldwing-Trike-/112559154673?hash=item1a350c65f1:g:upcAAOSwnNFZrEl 9&vxp=mtr

Finishing up, you will miss 2 wheels for sure. I personally am okay with it because it allows my best friend to be with me, but it is definitely different than riding on 2 wheels.
You said a mouthful there. As I told you in the other thread, we have come to really enjoy our voyager kit.

Alan, Carol & Loki The Bike Riding Maltipoo Dog (RIP, PistolPete & Prissy),

Proud member #63 of the IDMWT Club.
Darkside # 1696
Rear - Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3 ZP - 195/55R16 87H BSW - Winter Tire

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-12-2017, 07:13 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:

Addressing your comments in order:
Riding with Alix is important. Plus, with a trike she can share pilot duties - her inseam is a touch shorter than mine, and she's much less experienced, so she doesn't want to try the 1500 on two wheels.

It's a pity (because there's a Motor Trike dealer about 75 minutes away), but I really don't like the looks of the Motor Trike conversion. And we'd lose too much storage space when we lose the bags - that trunk is pretty small.

At the moment, we could afford either. Plus we'll probably get another $1.5K in the spring when we sell her Virago. (Long story, but she's giving up two wheels in favor of being my passenger.)

And, as I mentioned, I'm keeping my V-star to run around locally on.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-12-2017, 07:50 AM

I had a Tow Pac Instatrike on my 95 GL1500 that I bought used for 2k. I got it because I kept dropping my bike on the half mile dirt road to my house that had allot of deep sand. I had it for a couple of years and did several long rides and 2 up touring too. Because I had not done a rake kit mod it was a beast to steer but I eventually got the hang of it. I never took the kit off and rode it as a trike. It's not as easy and fast to remove and re-install as they claim. It did however restore my confidence riding in deep sand on my dirt road. The kit performed well but did break one of the mounting bolts but was easy to repair. I couldn't afford a full blown trike so this was a good alternative for me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	98.4 KB
ID:	239121  

Dan Bowman

2003 Honda Silverwing ABS
2005 Kymco Bet and Win 250

Last edited by Scooter1; 09-12-2017 at 07:53 AM.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-12-2017, 08:00 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Well @Dwarven1 that's certainly why Baskin Robbins was able to become successful. I can tell you that our trunk on the Motortrike is every bit as large as the two side bags that were sacrificed but not sure how the newer models are. Between the trunk, the top box, my hitch rack bag, and top rack bag, we have never needed anymore space. If you don't mind the look of the outriggers that may be a better way for you, just wasn't my choice.

GWOF IB COUPLE #2

FR #91
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-12-2017, 09:48 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter1 View Post
I had a Tow Pac Instatrike on my 95 GL1500 that I bought used for 2k. I got it because I kept dropping my bike on the half mile dirt road to my house that had allot of deep sand.

Because I had not done a rake kit mod it was a beast to steer but I eventually got the hang of it.
I've seen mention of rake kits before - what's needed for the trike, to increase the rake or decrease it? (My guess is decrease, but I could be wrong). How much of a bear is that to do, and what's it likely to add to the cost?

Starting to lean towards Fossil's suggestion here...

BTW, that bike of yours looks awfully familiar - I've got that same green. How do you like the Windbender shield? If I keep this bike, I'm thinking of one of those. (was going to do that this year... before I wound up spending $3K on a rebuilt engine for my Subaru. It only had 215K on the original...)

Quote:
Between the trunk, the top box, my hitch rack bag, and top rack bag, we have never needed anymore space. If you don't mind the look of the outriggers that may be a better way for you, just wasn't my choice.
As I said, the looks don't really do it for me. I liked the look of the Hannigan, but Alix says it's too much of a boat. Hobo's kit looks interesting - I'm waiting for a reply from him on FB as I'd like to learn more about it. Kinda sparse on details on his page. But I have to admit I'm thinking more and more about your other suggestion.

2003 GL1800 Motor Trike - "Canth"
2002 V-Star - "Raven"

Past Master, Franklin Lodge AF&AM Grafton MA
Member Libanus Lodge #47, Bristol VT
Widows Sons VT - Charter Member
Lugeless Pavement Racers - Member #6
IDMWT #67
NRA Certified Instructor
Appleseed Instructor
FFL - Lonely Mountain Arms, Starksboro, VT
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-12-2017, 10:17 AM

Location: Wheatland. Missouri on Pomme De Terre Lake 2008 GL1800 IDMWT #63
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwarven1 View Post
I've seen mention of rake kits before - what's needed for the trike, to increase the rake or decrease it? (My guess is decrease, but I could be wrong). How much of a bear is that to do, and what's it likely to add to the cost?

Starting to lean towards Fossil's suggestion here...

BTW, that bike of yours looks awfully familiar - I've got that same green. How do you like the Windbender shield? If I keep this bike, I'm thinking of one of those. (was going to do that this year... before I wound up spending $3K on a rebuilt engine for my Subaru. It only had 215K on the original...)

As I said, the looks don't really do it for me. I liked the look of the Hannigan, but Alix says it's too much of a boat. Hobo's kit looks interesting - I'm waiting for a reply from him on FB as I'd like to learn more about it. Kinda sparse on details on his page. But I have to admit I'm thinking more and more about your other suggestion.
I just PM'ed you Norms phone number. I know he's been battling cancer so I'm not 100% sure he's still doing trike conversions, but if he is you won't buy a better kit. I don't have a rake kit on my 1800 nor did I have one on my 1200. Steering isn't bad on either. I will say it does take a little muscle build up to steer a trike as you are not leaning the bike but actually turning the handle bars to turn.

Alan, Carol & Loki The Bike Riding Maltipoo Dog (RIP, PistolPete & Prissy),

Proud member #63 of the IDMWT Club.
Darkside # 1696
Rear - Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3 ZP - 195/55R16 87H BSW - Winter Tire

Last edited by alwims; 09-12-2017 at 10:21 AM.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-12-2017, 10:24 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
To trike or not to trike? Outriggers - TowPac or Voyager?

Ross, rake kits although many say are necessary they are really not. Our Motor Trike does not have one and I can ride as hard in the twistes as much as the next guy. Is a trike without a rake kit more of a "workout"? For sure it is but it really is not that big of an issue to not have one.

The rake kits increase the rake (move the front wheel farther out) thus making the steering light to the feel. Not sure exact pricing but it seems to me I have seen where they range from $800 to $1200 for a rake kit.

If I had to do it again at this point and I was still on a 2 wheel 1500, I would seriously look at an early 1800 trike, you can find them with some decently lower mileage as you can see from the posted earlier Ebay link.

Addressing the thoughts of your Alix, the reason I looked for a MotorTrike was because they were smaller and not so "boatish"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

GWOF IB COUPLE #2

FR #91
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-12-2017, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwarven1 View Post
I've seen mention of rake kits before - what's needed for the trike, to increase the rake or decrease it?

BTW, that bike of yours looks awfully familiar - I've got that same green. How do you like the Windbender shield?
Dwarven, I'm not familiar with front end rake mod for trikes. I've ridden full blown trike kits like the Motortrike without a rake mod and was much easier to steer than the Tow Pac. Honestly, I think the training wheels kits are a poor man's trike and does not come close to the quality of the ride of a real trike. If that's all one can afford then you basically get what you pay for. There's a reason for the large gap in pricing. I sold mine and will never put bolt on training wheels again. I downsized in weight to a bike I can handle in deep sand.

The Windbender I loved. Deb said there was little turbulence with 2 up riding.

Dan Bowman

2003 Honda Silverwing ABS
2005 Kymco Bet and Win 250

Last edited by Scooter1; 09-12-2017 at 08:31 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode