Sena FreeWire For Goldwing Review - Page 3 - Honda Goldwing Forums
 4Likes

post #21 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-26-2018, 03:29 PM

Also, I have my freewire in the left pocket, and the reception is flawless. Hard to believe that thin piece of plastic covering the pocket will block the signal, when it's advertised to go for a mile or so.

Richie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-26-2018, 06:24 PM Thread Starter

Garage
A few questions?

1.) What year is your bike?
2.) Are you using the AUX cord from your I Phone 6 to listen to Pandora?
3.) Garmin GPS? Which model and is it Bluetooth?
4.) Are you using the second phone pairing sequence on either connection?

In the interim, here's how the pairing should go:

1.) Pair your SLR to the FreeWire as the "First Phone." The FreeWire always wants to always be first.
2.) Pair your SLR to the Garmin as a second phone.
3.) Pair your phone to the Garmin.

You have to pick what you want the Phone to do. By that, I mean if you want it to operate in the AUX mode for Pandora or Bluetooth mode. You can't do both because one cancels out the other.

On my old wing, plugged an old I Phone 5 into the Aux cord, then sent it a WiFi signal from my I Phone 7 (personal hot spot) to my I Phone 5, which I stored in the left fairing pouch and it worked great. Only thing is, once you turn it on, you can't move through the tracks. It's set it and forget it. Also, it will eat through data plan if you don't have a unlimited data plan. From there, it just comes through your FreeWire.

OPDSam 30

Past Bikes:
1977 Kawasaki KZ 650
1988 Honda Shadow 1100
1990, 1994 and 1997 Kawasaki KZ1000 Police Special
1998 Honda Nighthawk 750
2008 Harley Davidson Electra Glide FLHTPI Police 103ci
2008 Harley Davidson Street Glide 103ci
2006 Honda Goldwing Audio/Comfort/Navi

Current Bike:
2017 Honda Goldwing Audio/Comfort/Navi/ABS
post #23 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-27-2018, 09:52 AM

Thanks for the reply, OPDSAM,

1) 2017
2) YEs, AUX cable runs from left pocket to the handlebars and into the phone. It sends everything from the phone into the bike onboard system.
3) Garmin 360, but I DONT want to listen to the Garmin. I listen to the waze on the phone.
4) The only pairing I did was from the Freewire to the SRL.

So the pairing sequence you gave me, is reduced to just the first step, which is done. Steps 2 and 3 are for the GPS, and I don't need them.

When I'm NOT riding with a group, and therefore don't need the CB, I'm good with just using the Bluetooth on the SRL to connct to the phone. Thats all I need. If my wife is with me, all the Intercom, through the bluetooth, not the bike. No need for the Freewire, unless I'm using the CB, which is only on a group ride.

So, last night I get on the bike for the ride home, and I have the switch on the Freewire in the off position. I don't need it for this trip. Start the phone, and the SRL, and I'm listening to the music. Start the bike, and the Freewire lights up, and connects to the SRL, WHILE IT'S IN THE OFF POSTITION! I plug the AUX plug into the phone, and I'm listening to Pandora, through the bike system, through the Freewire, but it's OFF. The lights are on, the blue light is blinking and it's working. Is that the way it's supposed to work? If I just want to use the SRL, without the Freewire, do I have to unplug the Freewire? Seems to me, just leaving it off should work, no?

Richie

post #24 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-27-2018, 11:01 PM

I put an accessory plug in the trunk. On all day rides we usually stop for lunch and when we do I plug my sena 20S into that plug because it is on without the key being on. That plug also can charge my phone. I love my Freewire, also.

Terry Dill of San Antonio

It's not the destination, but the getting there.
post #25 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-28-2018, 08:07 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Yep, if you have it connected to the 12 volt power adapter in the left fairing pouch, it will turn on as soon as you turn the key on. If you don't want it on, you'll have to unplug it The other thing you can do is turn the audio system off and just Bluetooth you your phone when you don't need it. All it will do is keep charging the FreeWire. I just leave me plugged in all the time.

OPDSam 30

Past Bikes:
1977 Kawasaki KZ 650
1988 Honda Shadow 1100
1998 Honda Nighthawk 750

Current Bike:
post #26 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-28-2018, 08:47 AM

Garage
Good Morning

I am using a freeware and have a USB port. Can you tell me where you purchased the cable with the plug for the free wire and usb. I have been looking and can not locate the cable with that plug for the freewire. It appears to be a special plug. Thank you

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Retired From Long Island NY
Now residing in Stokesdale, North Carolina

2014 Black Goldwing
AKA "Miss Money Penny"
Traxxion Suspension
post #27 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-28-2018, 09:49 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I've tried to locate one and can't find one either. The place i bought from online doesn't make them anymore and doesn't know where I can get one. You may try calling electrical connection to see if they can fabricate one.

Ask for Lewis 865-219-9192. See if they can take your charging cord for the 12 volt power adapter and convert it to a USB style jack type charger. The barrel size on the SENA charging cord seems to be a mystery, even to the SENA Reps when you call them.

I've had them make custom connectors for me in the past and they're pretty reasonable.

OPDSam 30

Past Bikes:
1977 Kawasaki KZ 650
1988 Honda Shadow 1100
1998 Honda Nighthawk 750

Current Bike:
post #28 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-28-2018, 09:51 AM

I'm using the cigarette lighter charger that came with the Freewire. I wired the a female cigarette lighter under the pocket, and plugged a one to two splitter into it, so it powers both my Garmin GPS and the Freewire. Also wired a USB in there, so I could run a wire up to the phone and charge it too.

This morning I unplugged the power to the Freewire and, as expected, the bluetooth connection to the phone worked perfectly. I'll just plug the Freewire in when I need the CB.

Richie
post #29 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-28-2018, 10:12 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Or like I said, you can just turn off the bike audio when not using it and just Bluetooth to your phone for Pandora. Those micro USB receivers on the SENA products can be a bit fragile. Constantly plugging and unplugging increases the chance of damaging them...Just saying.

OPDSam 30

Past Bikes:
1977 Kawasaki KZ 650
1988 Honda Shadow 1100
1998 Honda Nighthawk 750

Current Bike:
post #30 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-28-2018, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdealwriter View Post
Good Morning

I am using a freeware and have a USB port. Can you tell me where you purchased the cable with the plug for the free wire and usb. I have been looking and can not locate the cable with that plug for the freewire. It appears to be a special plug. Thank you
The Freewire comes with all the cables you need. Anything your connected headset can receive from the bike's audio the Freewire can receive and transmit to a wireless helmet using the 20S or 10... systems.

Terry Dill of San Antonio

It's not the destination, but the getting there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode