Sena freewire ? - Page 4 - Honda Goldwing Forums
 6Likes

post #31 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-30-2017, 12:32 PM

Garage
I have a FreeWire hooked up on my 2006 wing. I have an IPhone 7 as my phone and music source. I have an AUX cord that comes from the connector under the left side fairing pouch. I bought an adapter that allows me to plug the AUX cord into my I Phone7 via an "Electrical Connection" Ground Loop Isolator to eliminate any noise coming from the phone. I have an in-dash Navi system, which is pretty much useless so I installed have a Garmin Zumo 665 external GPS so I can do custom route planning.

Here is my pairing case study:

My Sena 20S is paired to my FreeWire, which has constant power to it. I wired a usb/micro DC connector to it. The FreeWire is connected to the system via the 5 Pin Din connector, which comes with the FreeWire kit.

The 20S is also paired to my Zumo 665, which is Bluetooth.

I paired my IPhone 7 to my Zumo so the phone runs through the Zumo.

If all you have is the in-dash navi system, turn-by-turn should just come in to your helmet through the Honda system.

With my Honda System set in the AUX mode, I can hear my music with no problem since the system is receiving the music from my phone. My turn-by-turn from either the Zumo also comes into my helmet from both GPS devices as does anything else coming from the system.

Contrary to what Sena say, you don't need a second FreeWire for intercom to a passenger. If the passenger is hardwired in, anything they say will come through the system without a problem. I've tested it. The only thing the passenger can't do is talk on the CB on their own. They can talk on the CB if the rider is depressing the transmit button. Don't go buy two units. You don't need them.

Let me know if this helped.

Mark

Last edited by opdsam30; 05-30-2017 at 12:34 PM. Reason: omissions
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-30-2017, 10:35 PM

Your set up sounds reasonable.....if your pillow rider wanted use of their own phone to make and receive calls...would that warrant 2 Freewires?

Mike
2013 GL1800, Level III
1996 HD Heritage Softail Classic (sold this past summer)
post #33 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-30-2017, 10:47 PM

Garage
The Sena help desk is pretty much useless. Just run an AUX cord to your music source and you'll good. I ran an AUX cord to my I Phone 7 using an adapter I bought on Amazon. Only problem is you can't control the song track using your jog dial. So I mounted my phone to the left side handle bar and it's all good. I just change the music on my phone. I have a Garmin Zumo 665 on the right side handlebar, which I run my phone through and everything works.

OPDSam 30

Past Bikes:
1977 Kawasaki KZ 650
1988 Honda Shadow 1100
1990, 1994 and 1997 Kawasaki KZ1000 Police Special
1998 Honda Nighthawk 750
2008 Harley Davidson Electra Glide FLHTPI Police 103ci
2008 Harley Davidson Street Glide 103ci
2006 Honda Goldwing Audio/Comfort/Navi

Current Bike:
2017 Honda Goldwing Audio/Comfort/Navi/ABS

Last edited by opdsam30; 05-30-2017 at 10:54 PM.

post #34 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-30-2017, 10:53 PM

Garage
Hi Special Wing,

I have an SMH-10 for the wife because she likes to talk on her phone. Yes, if your pillow rider wanted to use their own phone, they would need a second device. Just get one of the less expensive ones. The SMH-10's are about $150-$160 right now and it will pair up to the 20S.

OPDSam 30

Past Bikes:
1977 Kawasaki KZ 650
1988 Honda Shadow 1100
1990, 1994 and 1997 Kawasaki KZ1000 Police Special
1998 Honda Nighthawk 750
2008 Harley Davidson Electra Glide FLHTPI Police 103ci
2008 Harley Davidson Street Glide 103ci
2006 Honda Goldwing Audio/Comfort/Navi

Current Bike:
2017 Honda Goldwing Audio/Comfort/Navi/ABS
post #35 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-16-2018, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by opdsam30 View Post
I have a FreeWire hooked up on my 2006 wing. I have an IPhone 7 as my phone and music source. I have an AUX cord that comes from the connector under the left side fairing pouch. I bought an adapter that allows me to plug the AUX cord into my I Phone7 via an "Electrical Connection" Ground Loop Isolator to eliminate any noise coming from the phone. I have an in-dash Navi system, which is pretty much useless so I installed have a Garmin Zumo 665 external GPS so I can do custom route planning.

Here is my pairing case study:

My Sena 20S is paired to my FreeWire, which has constant power to it. I wired a usb/micro DC connector to it. The FreeWire is connected to the system via the 5 Pin Din connector, which comes with the FreeWire kit.

The 20S is also paired to my Zumo 665, which is Bluetooth.

I paired my IPhone 7 to my Zumo so the phone runs through the Zumo.

If all you have is the in-dash navi system, turn-by-turn should just come in to your helmet through the Honda system.

With my Honda System set in the AUX mode, I can hear my music with no problem since the system is receiving the music from my phone. My turn-by-turn from either the Zumo also comes into my helmet from both GPS devices as does anything else coming from the system.

Contrary to what Sena say, you don't need a second FreeWire for intercom to a passenger. If the passenger is hardwired in, anything they say will come through the system without a problem. I've tested it. The only thing the passenger can't do is talk on the CB on their own. They can talk on the CB if the rider is depressing the transmit button. Don't go buy two units. You don't need them.

Let me know if this helped.

Mark
MArk;

With the freewire setup you described - you with a Sena 20s and wife with SMH10 - have you successfully paired with and talked to riders on other bikes too?

thanks;

El Gordo
post #36 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-01-2018, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTrails View Post
I have a Sena 20s and Freewire. So far I can have both Freewire and my phone bluetoothed to the 20s but as soon as I stream music it cuts out the the Freewire and I lose use of the cb. Have tried different start up sequences but its always the same results.

I guess I could reset everything and try it with Sena 10u to see what happens there.
Use the bikes stereo aux. plug or the bikes radio system. My system works perfectly that way.

Terry Dill of San Antonio

It's not the destination, but the getting there.
post #37 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-01-2018, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhobbs74 View Post
I have a question, Just say one of you guys that have a CB along with the Freewire. I have a Sena headset but not CB, can you talk to me with your CB through the Freewire?
Yes, that was a main purpose of getting a freewire, to go chordless.

post #38 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-01-2018, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjoe123 View Post
Just got the 20s and the freewire and cant seem to get music or CB sound in the helmet unless i have speakers outside sound on. I am shirley missing something anyone have any ideas ? I have a 2008 goldwing
Probably something real stupid - HELP !
Sometimes the sequence in what you turn on is important. My Freewire comes on with the key. I have the 2005 and first turn the key on to ACC. I get on the bike and then turn on the Sena 20s. Everything works as designed. I do not listen to the FM on the 20s unless I ride another bike. I use the bike's audio system. My phone is bluetoothed to the 20s and also my GPS. When I ride the wing and everything is on, I have to turn Bluetooth connection from phone to 20s off so I can get it thru my TOM TOM. When the bike is on, and I turn on the 20s, I hear the voice that Freewire is connected.

post #39 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-01-2018, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Special Wing View Post
I think the Freewire is one the best options to get the all the Wings communications to helmets without being wired. J M communications has a product but I have not looked closely at theirs.

On YouTube videos, other Wing owners have gotten cell phones to operate thru the Freewire system. Voice commands according to these same videos operate too.

The Sena 20s duel is pushing $500 while each Freewire is $250 ish, for 2 up on the Wing you are looking at $1000 US. Once you open these electronics you can not return them (according to Revzilla). I wanted to go thru a dealer who has confidence they can deliver what Sena 20s/Freewire says they will do.

I most likely would not trade my Wing in if Honda came out with Bluetooth in '18. It would take several improvements to make me get the itch to trade ( Bluetooth, electric windscreen, maybe 6th gear, new styling, drive on/off stand). I think Honda has found a niche and if they can sell "x" per year and not have to re-tool their production lines they are not listening to what after market add ones are popular.
Your post is miss leading. The 20s dual is $500. you don't need to buy 20s separately. In San Antonio I bought my Sena for $229 and an extra helmet mount for $79. I can swap my Sena to either helmet. My friend bought the dual set for him and his wife for $500. They have a Harley. We can communicate nicely when together.

post #40 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-01-2018, 03:29 PM

Garage
Hi TMDill,

Sorry for the late response. I have a few questions:

1. How are you pairing your 20S to your FreeWire?
2. How are you pairing your 20S to your phone?
3. Do you have an external GPS in the mix?

If you are pairing your 20S to your FreeWire as a regular phone pairing, that may be your problem. You need to pair your 20S to the FreeWire as a mobile phone, which is considered the first mobile pairing. Once you've done that, pair your phone as a "second phone."

After your FreeWire is paired, turn it off. To pair your phone as a second phone, push and hold the Jog Dial down until you hear "Intercom Pairing." When you hear that, push the phone button within 2 seconds and you will hear a prompt saying, "Second Phone Pairing." When you hear that, look for your phone in your bluetooth device list on your phone and select the 20S.

This should fix the problem. As it was told to me by a SENA Rep at the Long Beach Motorcycle Show, the FreeWire is very proprietary and likes to be in the first phone pairing position. If the FreeWire and phone are both paired as a mobile phone, they try to compete with each other.

When you PTT your CB, it will cut out the music so you can talk. It may take a few seconds for the music to come back on once you release the PTT button. If it doesn't right away, push the button on the FreeWire.

Let me know if that worked.

Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode