• 2 Post By fossil92
  • 1 Post By crownfire
  • 2 Post By cdneh
  • 2 Post By George Henderson
  • 1 Post By budoka
  • 1 Post By joe in calif
  • 2 Post By zakzozeen

post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-12-2017, 02:15 PM Thread Starter

Now that I have it, what do I do with it?

Headed on a trip to the Adirondacks this June and I'm looking at my new wing and wondering how I'm carry luggage on this bike. I'm used to packing up a Harley which has a larger trunk surface and luggage rack. I'm looking at the space on the trunk lid of my Wing and I'm just not sure what to do. I obviously need to install a luggage rack, but that space on the racks isn't very big. How are you guys packing these bikes up for travel, without a trailer? Can't afford one of those.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-12-2017, 02:48 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Several way @slowrollin . You can get the luggage rack with a bag. If you do I recommend that you keep lightweight items in that bag. I typically store our rainsuits, bike cover, and 2 fleeces or small items. This keeps the wight from damaging the trunk lid, but also weight up high will affect center of gravity.

Another way you can do it is by installing a trailer hitch, a rack, and a bag on that. No need for the trailer and you can store a lot more. We usually use that for 3 sets of clothes for each of us, change of shoes, shave kit/her stuff, and some small incidentals.

I have attached a link to the setup we have used for the past 7 years.

https://www.goldwingowners.com/forums...tem-tried.html
budoka and slowrollin like this.

Whoever said a woman can't make up their mind never met a Male Motorcycle Rider

GWOF IB COUPLE #2

MEMBER GWOF IB TRIO #1/Overall #4

FR #91
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-12-2017, 04:15 PM
Super Moderator

While I do have a luggage rack, I rarely use it. When the wife is along it has some light and want to get to quick things. I do have a set of this for mine:
http://wingstuff.com/products/33320-...travel_luggage

I find they help keep everything where it needs to be. Usually I'm solo so one bag to hold my things, cover and rain gear with some other miscellaneous in the other side. Top trunk has things I want often and have easy to get to. You just gotta try out a couple things and see what works for you.

I do like the option Fossil mentioned. If I was to do it over again I would do that instead of a trunk rack.
slowrollin likes this.

Mark
It matters not how good you are if an angel pees on the flintlock of your musket. Old German Military saying.
2010 Honda GL1800
GWOF IB Hat #1 with WARWGN
IDMWT #86

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-12-2017, 04:22 PM

Are you riding solo? If so you will have lots of room. I have a luggage rack and rarely use it. I do have a great dry bag that I put on the back seat and keep in place with a mesh and some bungee cords that I secure to the luggage rack. I also purchased the bungee assist seat brackets from WingStuff that I use for one end of the bungee cords. Here is the link:

http://wingstuff.com/products/32891-...?from_search=1

I have traveled for 20 days to a month and never had an issue. In fact I leave some space for purchases along the way.

The dry bag is the best thing I have found over the years as it expands too.
crownfire and slowrollin like this.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-12-2017, 07:07 PM
Lifetime Premium

Most Motels have a laundry facility, we do our laundry every few days so we don't have to pack clean cloths for the whole trip.

From the Northwest Corner
Ron
The Land of Tall mountains
IDMWT #5
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-12-2017, 07:20 PM

With experience comes solutions. The wife is/has always been my co-rider on 99.9 % of my rides over the last 22 years and, while it took a while to get packing perfected, it will come as you travel. I don't think there is any one 'way' that fits all, but learning what you can and need to pack, comes with 'learning by riding'. The 1800 has less storage room than the 1500, which called for some adjustments, when we changed up. However, we did add a Pakit Rak, pakitrac.com, for rides over 3 weeks. Oh, and for rides less than a week, two pair of jeans, including the ones you start out with, is enough, and, Wal-mart has everything you discover you didn't pack! JUST GO!!
alwims and slowrollin like this.

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-13-2017, 08:41 AM
Administrator

Garage
I do the same as fossil pretty much. The trunk rack (Kuryakin) for light weight items and a hitch rack & bag (Packit Rack) for other stuff. She gets the trunk, I get one saddle bag and the other saddle bag is for emergency gear (tools etc) bike cover, walking shoes and other misc items.
slowrollin likes this.

grab all the kicks you can baby, you only make this scene once!
[/COLOR]current rides: '09 GL1800AD "SENSHI"; 2003 RVT1000r (RC51) track bike... certified m/c addict. IDMWT #12. GWRRA #028890
Daryl
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-13-2017, 09:00 AM

Garage
Kuryakyn makes a nice size trunk rack and their rack bag is a good size also. Use the star washers on the rack, they help to keep the trunk lid from cracking. You will find that you won't need all the stuff you take. As said before, most motels have a laundry facility that you can use. I put rain gear and heavy coats, gloves ETC in the trunk bag, get a set of saddle bag liners, you get 1 bag and your co rider gets the other.
budoka likes this.

It's a motorcycle, expect wind!!
IF YOU ARE BORN TWICE YOU WILL DIE ONCE
IF YOU ARE BORN ONCE YOU WILL DIE TWICE
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-13-2017, 02:30 PM

I'll throw in a few ideas.

1) Probably not a good idea to block the license plate or lights. I use the trailer hitch platform but keep it below the plate and between the lights.
2) If you're not going to buy the liners, keep your bags soft, small and loosely packed. It's a lot easier to squeeze a small bag in a saddle bag (or the corner of the saddle bag) than a big one that's fully packed.
3) If the motel doesn't have a laundry, there's a Laundromat close by. Advantage - MANY machines so you can do multiple loads at the same time. a) put laundry in washer, b) go to dinner, c) move laundry from washer to dryer, d) go to desert/coffee, e) collect you laundry, f) rest up for tomorrow's adventure.
4) Definitely keep the trunk for items you'll need all day, during the ride. Lighter gloves, extra drink, rain gear (if you think it might be needed). Once the saddle bags are stuffed full, you'll want to keep them closed until you stop for the night.
5) I will pack a lot of light stuff on the luggage rack. Pile it high, bungee it down more than it needs. Yes, it adds some top-heaviness. We're already 2 up, and neither of us is a lightweight, so the difference is not that significant. It's better to keep the trunk as empty as possible and have it available for any jackets, liners, etc., you remove during the day.
6) Keep an eye out for crushable, squeezable, and breakable, etc. I know many times I've had to apply some pressure to the saddlebags to get them closed. Don't want the toothpaste opening up and ending all over everything, or that vase you bought as a souvenir ending up in pieces.

Safe travels!

Richie
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-14-2017, 08:01 PM

Hi
You be amazed how much can be stored with a bit of thought.
If you ride solo like I do, there is "T" bag available on Wingstuff that sits on the passenger seat.
It works amazingly well and acts like a backrest as well.
Good luck.
Zak
metalhead41 and slowrollin like this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode