TPMS Light - Honda Goldwing Forums
 5Likes

post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-23-2017, 06:29 PM Thread Starter

TPMS Light

Anybody know what can or does cause the TPMS light to come on intermittently? I know the owners manual says to have the system checked when it comes on, but by the time I get to the shop it's gone out again so I don't know if there is anything that can be checked at that point.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 04:03 AM

Mine did that because I was just on the low side of the range they monitor. I had 36 PSI in the front and when it was cold they would come on for a few miles until the tires warmed up. I put the pressure up to 41 PSI in both and no more light. What is your tire pressure?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Chopin likes this.

Steve

2015 Goldwing NAV/ABS
IDMWT #81
Fredericksburg, Virginia

post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 06:58 AM Thread Starter

Perplexed by TPMS

According to the manual, the TPMS light only tells you when there is a problem with the TPMS system. The low pressure light is separate and will come on with low tire pressure. Here's the thing. My bike is a 2015 with just over 1,000 miles on it. When I went to look at the bike before I bought it two weeks ago, the TPMS light was on. The owner put some air in the tires and the light went out. At that time I hadn't seen the Owner's Manual yet so I didn't think anything of it and had no reason to thing the system might be malfunctioning.

About 4 days after I bought it, the light came on again. Again, not having read the manual yet, I checked the tire pressure and it was about 1 psi low in the front, 4 psi low in back. So, I put air in and the sensor light went out. Last week, same thing happened, but this time I propped the bike up on the center stand and found a nail in the rear tire. That led me to believe the whole thing was due to a slow leak, so I replaced the tire and thought life was good.

I finally got around to reading the manual this week and found out the TPMS light doesn't indicate low pressure. Sure enough, it came back on yesterday, new tire and all. This time I didn't bother checking the pressure. I got of the bike, left it running for a few minutes while I puttered around in the garage and it went out.

Any thoughts on why this could be happening? I wouldn't think the TPMS unit itself is bad. It's brand new.
Weege likes this.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 07:17 AM

I have a 2015 and one thing I've learned is that these tires leak down. I have to put air in both of my tires at least twice a month to keep the pressure up. Mine will leak down 8-10psi if I don't keep it checked. I do 41psi also
budoka likes this.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 10:28 AM

Mine did that from time to time but eventually stayed on. You are right it is telling you the system isn't working. In my case it was because the sensors were not syncing. It took the dealer a couple tries to figure it out and it's good now.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 11:14 AM
Lifetime Premium

When I bought my 09 at the end of the 2015 riding season the tpms light were out. Shortly after the tpms light was lighting periodically, and them eventually stayed on. After about three trips to the dealer I purchased the bike from (for a few hours each time) and buying new wheel transmitters that aren't cheap the problem has been resolved.

Every man dies, not EVERY man truly LIVES!
Steve
GWRRA
1980 CB750 * 1979 GL1000 * 1982 GL1100 *
2000 GL1500 * 2009 GL1800 Airbag
IDMWT #99 (Finally admitted because I like the sound of #99)
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 11:14 AM
Administrator

Garage
Yes, you are on the low side of the pressure requirement; increase the pressure and you'll be fine, no more light.

grab all the kicks you can baby, you only make this scene once!
current rides: '09 GL1800AD "SENSHI"; 2003 RVT1000r (RC51) track bike... certified m/c addict. IDMWT #12. GWRRA #028890
Daryl
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-26-2017, 10:56 AM

My light stays on more than its off and has since about 12,000 miles. It has over 41,000 miles now. Are tire sensors covered under warranty?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

Nothing rides quite like a Goldwing...
2012 GL 1800 level 2 Audio/Comfort/Navi/XM (ultra blue metallic)
1987 GL 1200 Aspencade (wine berry) sold

IDMWT Club Member#45

The price of victory is high, but so are the rewards.- Paul "Bear" Bryant
~Be allergic to average!~
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-26-2017, 01:42 PM

Glad I read this thread. I thought the TPMS light meant that the tire pressure was low, so I responded by adding air to the tires. I just thought it was over sensitive because it seemed to come on when the pressure was just a couple pounds below the recommended level, not enough, I thought, to really mean a problem. My bike is a new 2016 with only 6,000 miles so I guess if the light comes back on again I should get it checked out since the bike is still on warranty.

Retired U.S. Army and fully retired!
NRA Life Member
Former MSF Instructor
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-26-2017, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedymph1000 View Post
My light stays on more than its off and has since about 12,000 miles. It has over 41,000 miles now. Are tire sensors covered under warranty?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Yes they are. It took a few trips to the dealer for them to figure it out, but it has been good the past year.

Mark
It matters not how good you are if an angel pees on the flintlock of your musket. Old German Military saying.
2010 Honda GL1800
GWOF IB Hat #1 with WARWGN
IDMWT #86

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode