Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

TPMS Light

25K views 21 replies 13 participants last post by  bcihil 
#1 ·
Anybody know what can or does cause the TPMS light to come on intermittently? I know the owners manual says to have the system checked when it comes on, but by the time I get to the shop it's gone out again so I don't know if there is anything that can be checked at that point.

Thanks!

#2 ·
Mine did that because I was just on the low side of the range they monitor. I had 36 PSI in the front and when it was cold they would come on for a few miles until the tires warmed up. I put the pressure up to 41 PSI in both and no more light. What is your tire pressure?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Chopin
#3 ·
Perplexed by TPMS

According to the manual, the TPMS light only tells you when there is a problem with the TPMS system. The low pressure light is separate and will come on with low tire pressure. Here's the thing. My bike is a 2015 with just over 1,000 miles on it. When I went to look at the bike before I bought it two weeks ago, the TPMS light was on. The owner put some air in the tires and the light went out. At that time I hadn't seen the Owner's Manual yet so I didn't think anything of it and had no reason to thing the system might be malfunctioning.

About 4 days after I bought it, the light came on again. Again, not having read the manual yet, I checked the tire pressure and it was about 1 psi low in the front, 4 psi low in back. So, I put air in and the sensor light went out. Last week, same thing happened, but this time I propped the bike up on the center stand and found a nail in the rear tire. That led me to believe the whole thing was due to a slow leak, so I replaced the tire and thought life was good.

I finally got around to reading the manual this week and found out the TPMS light doesn't indicate low pressure. Sure enough, it came back on yesterday, new tire and all. This time I didn't bother checking the pressure. I got of the bike, left it running for a few minutes while I puttered around in the garage and it went out.

Any thoughts on why this could be happening? I wouldn't think the TPMS unit itself is bad. It's brand new.

#4 ·
Mine did that from time to time but eventually stayed on. You are right it is telling you the system isn't working. In my case it was because the sensors were not syncing. It took the dealer a couple tries to figure it out and it's good now.

#5 ·
When I bought my 09 at the end of the 2015 riding season the tpms light were out. Shortly after the tpms light was lighting periodically, and them eventually stayed on. After about three trips to the dealer I purchased the bike from (for a few hours each time) and buying new wheel transmitters that aren't cheap the problem has been resolved.

#6 ·
Yes, you are on the low side of the pressure requirement; increase the pressure and you'll be fine, no more light.

#7 ·
My light stays on more than its off and has since about 12,000 miles. It has over 41,000 miles now. Are tire sensors covered under warranty?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

#9 ·
Yes they are. It took a few trips to the dealer for them to figure it out, but it has been good the past year.

#8 ·
Glad I read this thread. I thought the TPMS light meant that the tire pressure was low, so I responded by adding air to the tires. I just thought it was over sensitive because it seemed to come on when the pressure was just a couple pounds below the recommended level, not enough, I thought, to really mean a problem. My bike is a new 2016 with only 6,000 miles so I guess if the light comes back on again I should get it checked out since the bike is still on warranty.

#10 ·
Reactions: crownfire
#11 ·
TPMS (System) Warning Light intermittently lights

So, I too bought a "new" 2016 carryover bike last week. It too showed the TPMS system warning light on from the start but would go off sometimes after driving it somewhat. It didn't necessarily come on upon start-up but would after a few minutes, but then would go off after some driving. Service Mgr. indicated that there is a battery in the wheel sensors that can go bad after sometime. That it recharges with the wheel spinning but after some years of sitting may develop a "memory" causing it to not hold a charge very well or maintain a sufficient charge to sync up with the main module sometimes. This is covered under warranty and requires the replacement of both wheel sensors in order to make sure that the "bad" one gets replaced as there is a 50/50 change of getting it wrong if you only replace one. Parts on order at this time and 2-3 day est. shipping then it's a 2-3 fix from there. Hope this takes care of it, once a for all as I hate having any warning lights illuminated.

#12 ·
So, I too bought a "new" 2016 carryover bike last week. It too showed the TPMS system warning light on from the start but would go off sometimes after driving it somewhat. It didn't necessarily come on upon start-up but would after a few minutes, but then would go off after some driving. Service Mgr. indicated that there is a battery in the wheel sensors that can go bad after sometime. That it recharges with the wheel spinning but after some years of sitting may develop a "memory" causing it to not hold a charge very well or maintain a sufficient charge to sync up with the main module sometimes. This is covered under warranty and requires the replacement of both wheel sensors in order to make sure that the "bad" one gets replaced as there is a 50/50 change of getting it wrong if you only replace one. Parts on order at this time and 2-3 day est. shipping then it's a 2-3 fix from there. Hope this takes care of it, once a for all as I hate having any warning lights illuminated.
Hope that works. My bike was doing it ever since I got it (2015 bike purchased in 2017). Seemed worse when the it was colder outside. I bought a part from California Sidecar to disable the unit. It cost me $35 +shipping and I figure I check my pressure pretty regularly anyways. What I got from them is just a plug that is plugged into the module and terminated on the other end. Basically just unplug the module's connection to the bike and plug this in. That way, you don't mess with the wires or anything and you can just plug the module back in if you ever want to do that. I guess they have to shut the TPMS somehow when the Trike a bike, and this is how they do it. Something to consider if the new sensors don't do the trick for you.

#13 ·
Oddly, I was having a similar problem but then it seemed to magically resolve itself before I could get the chance to have a mechanic check it out. A related problem I had was when I was using one of those digital air compressors that are powered from the 12v socket in a car. I keep one in each car for emergencies, and it just seemed the easy way to pump up the Goldwing's tires when it was needed. What I didn't do, and should have, is compare the pressure that this inexpensive air pump showed with pressure on a decent tire air gauge. When I got around to doing that, I found that the digital pump consistently read about 4 to 5 psi higher than was really the case. For awhile I thought that my tires must be leaking air since it seemed I had to pump them up quite frequently, and the TPMS light would come on intermittently. Now I use a good tire gauge to measure the psi and I can go a month or more without seeming to lose any air pressure, and the TPMS light never comes on other than when I start the bike.

#15 ·
my 2013 does the same thing.... TPMS warning light comes on .... but mine always seems to be on the same stretches of highway... I am figuring it must be some sort of radio interference with the signals from the sensors.... I regularly check air anyways....and some have said beads will ruin the sensors. I know that light is only for that system..... I just ignore it. Don't have a pressure warning system on anything else we drive or have driven...... I keep an air gauge in the saddle bag anyways.

#17 ·
the low pressure warning light looks like "a butt crack" just saying

#18 ·
From what I was told buy the dealer the TPMS monitors the sensors in the wheels, if there is no communications between the sensor and the TPMS or the calibration is off, the TPMS light will come on, once communications with the sensor is established again the light will go out. When the sensors detect low pressure in the tire it communicates this to the TPMS sytem and the Low Tire light on the dash will light. If the TPMS light stays on all the time then there is most likely an issue with one of the two pressure sensors.

#20 ·
My TPMS light comes on and goes out intermittently. No rhyme or reason it just does it. At first it alarmed me. But now I know it's going to turn off after a while it doesn't bother me much. I've only disconnected the battery for a few seconds just to wire up a heated clothing harness.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.