TPMS Light - Page 2 - Honda Goldwing Forums
 5Likes

post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-27-2017, 12:45 AM

I guess I'll take mine in and have it fixed then. Thanks Mark.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
crownfire likes this.

Nothing rides quite like a Goldwing...
2012 GL 1800 level 2 Audio/Comfort/Navi/XM (ultra blue metallic)
1987 GL 1200 Aspencade (wine berry) sold

IDMWT Club Member#45

The price of victory is high, but so are the rewards.- Paul "Bear" Bryant
~Be allergic to average!~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 11:12 AM

Garage
Post TPMS (System) Warning Light intermittently lights

So, I too bought a "new" 2016 carryover bike last week. It too showed the TPMS system warning light on from the start but would go off sometimes after driving it somewhat. It didn't necessarily come on upon start-up but would after a few minutes, but then would go off after some driving. Service Mgr. indicated that there is a battery in the wheel sensors that can go bad after sometime. That it recharges with the wheel spinning but after some years of sitting may develop a "memory" causing it to not hold a charge very well or maintain a sufficient charge to sync up with the main module sometimes. This is covered under warranty and requires the replacement of both wheel sensors in order to make sure that the "bad" one gets replaced as there is a 50/50 change of getting it wrong if you only replace one. Parts on order at this time and 2-3 day est. shipping then it's a 2-3 fix from there. Hope this takes care of it, once a for all as I hate having any warning lights illuminated.

Motorcycle Dave
USN Retired, CVMA
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 11:26 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Olsen View Post
So, I too bought a "new" 2016 carryover bike last week. It too showed the TPMS system warning light on from the start but would go off sometimes after driving it somewhat. It didn't necessarily come on upon start-up but would after a few minutes, but then would go off after some driving. Service Mgr. indicated that there is a battery in the wheel sensors that can go bad after sometime. That it recharges with the wheel spinning but after some years of sitting may develop a "memory" causing it to not hold a charge very well or maintain a sufficient charge to sync up with the main module sometimes. This is covered under warranty and requires the replacement of both wheel sensors in order to make sure that the "bad" one gets replaced as there is a 50/50 change of getting it wrong if you only replace one. Parts on order at this time and 2-3 day est. shipping then it's a 2-3 fix from there. Hope this takes care of it, once a for all as I hate having any warning lights illuminated.
Hope that works. My bike was doing it ever since I got it (2015 bike purchased in 2017). Seemed worse when the it was colder outside. I bought a part from California Sidecar to disable the unit. It cost me $35 +shipping and I figure I check my pressure pretty regularly anyways. What I got from them is just a plug that is plugged into the module and terminated on the other end. Basically just unplug the module's connection to the bike and plug this in. That way, you don't mess with the wires or anything and you can just plug the module back in if you ever want to do that. I guess they have to shut the TPMS somehow when the Trike a bike, and this is how they do it. Something to consider if the new sensors don't do the trick for you.

post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 11:29 AM

Oddly, I was having a similar problem but then it seemed to magically resolve itself before I could get the chance to have a mechanic check it out. A related problem I had was when I was using one of those digital air compressors that are powered from the 12v socket in a car. I keep one in each car for emergencies, and it just seemed the easy way to pump up the Goldwing's tires when it was needed. What I didn't do, and should have, is compare the pressure that this inexpensive air pump showed with pressure on a decent tire air gauge. When I got around to doing that, I found that the digital pump consistently read about 4 to 5 psi higher than was really the case. For awhile I thought that my tires must be leaking air since it seemed I had to pump them up quite frequently, and the TPMS light would come on intermittently. Now I use a good tire gauge to measure the psi and I can go a month or more without seeming to lose any air pressure, and the TPMS light never comes on other than when I start the bike.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 11:48 AM

Garage
This was NOT the low pressure warning light....it is the system light the one that actually says, "TPMS".

Motorcycle Dave
USN Retired, CVMA
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 10:34 AM

Garage
my 2013 does the same thing.... TPMS warning light comes on .... but mine always seems to be on the same stretches of highway... I am figuring it must be some sort of radio interference with the signals from the sensors.... I regularly check air anyways....and some have said beads will ruin the sensors. I know that light is only for that system..... I just ignore it. Don't have a pressure warning system on anything else we drive or have driven...... I keep an air gauge in the saddle bag anyways.

IDMWT member #80
Never walk, when you can ride!

current ride : 2013 GL1800 Audio Comfort

Darkside Yokohama Avid ENVigor 195/55 R16
non-runflat
Double Darkside Bridgestone BT45 Battlax Front

Past rides: '98 GL1500SE
'03 750 Kawasaki Vulcan
'81 850 Suzuki
'80 550 Suzuki
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 07:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsurley View Post
my 2013 does the same thing.... TPMS warning light comes on .... but mine always seems to be on the same stretches of highway... I am figuring it must be some sort of radio interference with the signals from the sensors.... I regularly check air anyways....and some have said beads will ruin the sensors. I know that light is only for that system..... I just ignore it. Don't have a pressure warning system on anything else we drive or have driven...... I keep an air gauge in the saddle bag anyways.
Some folks think the TPMS light means you have low tire pressure or that the system believes you have low tire pressure. It's not a low pressure warning. The TPMS light coming on means the bike thinks there is a problem with the TPMS system.
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 07:18 PM

Garage
the low pressure warning light looks like "a butt crack" just saying

IDMWT member #80
Never walk, when you can ride!

current ride : 2013 GL1800 Audio Comfort

Darkside Yokohama Avid ENVigor 195/55 R16
non-runflat
Double Darkside Bridgestone BT45 Battlax Front

Past rides: '98 GL1500SE
'03 750 Kawasaki Vulcan
'81 850 Suzuki
'80 550 Suzuki
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 11:21 AM

Garage
From what I was told buy the dealer the TPMS monitors the sensors in the wheels, if there is no communications between the sensor and the TPMS or the calibration is off, the TPMS light will come on, once communications with the sensor is established again the light will go out. When the sensors detect low pressure in the tire it communicates this to the TPMS sytem and the Low Tire light on the dash will light. If the TPMS light stays on all the time then there is most likely an issue with one of the two pressure sensors.

9th ID, US Army
Vietnam 69-70
Disabled Veterans of America
Member of MOPH (Military Order of the Purple Heart)
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 03:03 PM

My TPMS never switched off even with correct pressure in the tyres and a fix which Honda had in a bulletin issued stating that the Sensors needed to be activated by reducing the pressure to below 18 Lbs and re-inflating to correct pressures ...So i disconnected the battery and did a hard re-set and it works perfectly ....
Chopin likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode