Pardon me, but another tire issue - Honda Goldwing Forums
 25Likes

post #1 of 67 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 05:46 PM Thread Starter

Pardon me, but another tire issue

Qualifier: I am just guessing and opinionating, so there is no use getting huffy and puffy with me cause I tell you right now: I don't know what I am talking about.

But here is my rap: I am skeptical of those front tires with a grove right in the middle of it like the Dunnies (E4) or the Stones (709) . Especially the front tires. I think I rather have a tire that is solid right in the middle; like the Metz.

The reason: I wonder if that groove in the middle effects or motivates the wobble, or how exactly the middle groove yields to high speed and turning. Because, whatever one thinks, it seems apparent to me that front tires with middle-grooves must flex differently than ones without, given the same vector centrifugal force on an identical lean. That hole in there, that groove, must prompt a consequence unlike the non-grooved.

Am I reading too much into tire design? Maybe. But I would like to see some scientific evidence of the difference between the centered grooved and the non...I know I ain't gonna see it, I just wish I could.

A giant star blew up, elements combined, a long time passed and then, there you are. The mother of all mothers, even yours, is a supernova.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 67 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 06:19 PM
Lifetime Premium

I agree. That's why I'm going with a rear motorcycle tire on my front. It's going to be a couple of years for me to " wear out " my brand new Stone 709, but I'm going with a tire that has symmetrical tread and plenty of meat on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lee.
Darksider since I finally saw the Light.
post #3 of 67 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 06:32 PM Thread Starter

I was a thinkan'...justta thankan,

that it could be good to go with a 704 rear and a Metz88 in the front.

There were at least a couple of folks in the K16 forum who claimed a couple of different radials provided best mileage.

I do like the 704 and everyone seems to speak well of it, but that front tire middle groove freaks me.

I ran Metz in my 05GL but man! noisy as sheet. Sound like knobbies going around a corner. I mean, tolerable but buggie.

Whatta ya thank?

hey, what is your real name Chopin?

A giant star blew up, elements combined, a long time passed and then, there you are. The mother of all mothers, even yours, is a supernova.

post #4 of 67 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 06:33 PM Thread Starter

Moreover, What rear motorcycle tire would you put in the front of a Wing, and why would it have 'more meat'?

are you a darksider?

post #5 of 67 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 06:40 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Yes he is and he will be sure to try to convert you

I actually use one of the tires that the Pincess refers to on the front of my trike

The Bridgestone Battlax BT45. It is a sport bike rear tire that is exactly the same size as the front tire on a Wing.

Some folks reverse the rotation (there is science behind that decision) but I did not do that. I have about 8K on my Battlax and it hardly looks worn.

Whoever said a woman can't make up their mind never met a Male Motorcycle Rider

GWOF IB COUPLE #2

MEMBER GWOF IB TRIO #1/Overall #4

FR #91

Last edited by fossil92; 03-15-2017 at 06:55 AM.
post #6 of 67 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 06:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fossil92 View Post
Yes he is and he will be sure to try to convert you

I actually use one of the tires that the Pincess refers to on the front of my trike

The Bridgestone Battlax BT40. It is a sport bike rear tire that is exactly the same size as the front tire on a Wing.

Some folks reverse the rotation (there is science behind that decision) but I did not do that. I have about 8K on my Battlax and it hardly looks worn.

You could be prosecuted under new tire migrations laws. I suggest you have at least, a lawyer present for this post. Anything you say may be used...

Do tell me: What is the science behind putting a non-radial rear tire (am I right?, the BT40 is a tube, is it?)... rear tire for a sports bike on a touring heavy-arses GL front.....

......wait wait wait....I just looked up BT40....that is a car tire....on the front of a GL....nah!, I am sure I ain't gonna be talked into that one.

I do see BT45 but those have a groove in the middle...OMG, I am so confused.

post #7 of 67 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 07:00 PM
Lifetime Premium

The Bridgestone Battlax BT-45. That's the baby. It has three times the tread depth of the front tires the Wing World pushes on us.

Lee.
post #8 of 67 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 07:04 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
My bad it is the BT45, been out cleaning snow for the last 8 hrs.

Anyway the science is this. Since the rear sport bike tire is designed to handle the torque of the machine under acceleration and the braking stress is much less, the guys will mount it in a reverse rotation because the braking of the front end will be closer to the design of the tires capabilities.

Actually the Michelin Pilot Activ in the same size has the factory backing to do just that. Myself I would not ever run a Michelin but again that's just me.

I like my Battlax very very much
Chopin likes this.

Whoever said a woman can't make up their mind never met a Male Motorcycle Rider

GWOF IB COUPLE #2

MEMBER GWOF IB TRIO #1/Overall #4

FR #91

Last edited by fossil92; 03-15-2017 at 06:56 AM.
post #9 of 67 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 07:18 PM
Lifetime Premium

I have a buddy sending me pictures of his BT-45. Here's some. There's 8,000 miles on this tire:

Weege likes this.

Lee.

Last edited by Chopin; 03-14-2017 at 07:31 PM.
post #10 of 67 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 07:53 PM
Lifetime Premium

Eddie sent a nice walk around video but I have yet to discover how to send it.

Lee.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode