Pardon me, but another tire issue - Page 6 - Honda Goldwing Forums
 25Likes

post #51 of 67 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 02:07 PM
Lifetime Premium

Pardon me, but another tire issue

I agree nando. It's a TOURING motorcycle. But ..... don't think because you run a car tire that you can't cut the curves and scrape foot pegs. A car tire does not limit your abilities. It may even enhance them . Once you get used to that sure footed feel of a car tire there are no holds barred.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lee.
Darksider since I finally saw the Light.

Last edited by Chopin; 04-05-2017 at 02:09 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 67 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 05:38 PM

@nando , I'm not a cartire guy, but you have never tried to keep up with Golddragon in the curves with the car tire he has on his Goldwing. A car tire doesn't hinder the rider.

Now I've gotten good use and miles out of Dunlop Elite 3's with 20,000 miles on three different sets of tires. I've switched to Bridgestone and gotten okay miles (about 16,000) and maybe a touch better ride, but definitely not as noisy as the Dunlop.

The channel in the front of the tire has been no issue for me at all no matter the curves or rain.

Mark
It matters not how good you are if an angel pees on the flintlock of your musket. Old German Military saying.
2010 Honda GL1800
GWOF IB Hat #1 with WARWGN
IDMWT #86

post #53 of 67 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 12:13 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by crownfire View Post
@nando , I'm not a cartire guy, but you have never tried to keep up with Golddragon in the curves with the car tire he has on his Goldwing. A car tire doesn't hinder the rider.

Now I've gotten good use and miles out of Dunlop Elite 3's with 20,000 miles on three different sets of tires. I've switched to Bridgestone and gotten okay miles (about 16,000) and maybe a touch better ride, but definitely not as noisy as the Dunlop.

The channel in the front of the tire has been no issue for me at all no matter the curves or rain.
Long ago, in a galaxy far away, when the dark force was strong and I had a CT on my Wing, Yellow Wolf ripped the Dragon on a CT. I am a believer. I am personally not a hot-rodder, but I seen hot-rodding with CT. As weird as it may sound to some, my experience is that CT have better all around grip on a Wing than the current bundle of motto tires.

What I did not like about the DS is the handling, particularly in slow moving traffic, cluttered parking lots etc. I commute during the school year. I didn't think it was overwhelming, it just bugged me, so I went back to motto tires.

I don't need to be convinced that DS works...I guess I am lazy and I liked the power steering so I am trying to compensate...basically, I don't know what I am doing.

This Summer I am gonna do a lot of riding, hopefully...I like that feeling of NOT having to look over your shoulder at tire wear, nor hussle around to schedule a tire change while on the road. So I may try DS again.

What I might do in the future is have a spare rim so I can run the power steering sheety stock tires while Ms. Wing is on commuting duties, and pop the o' CT back on in the Summer, when Ms. Wing goes touring-nuts on the freeways and byways of America. That probably be would the best of both world for me.
crownfire, 823Jim and Weege like this.

A giant star blew up, elements combined, a long time passed and then, there you are. The mother of all mothers, even yours, is a supernova.

post #54 of 67 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 08:14 AM
Administrator

Garage
There's positives on both sides for sure. Nice you could ride with the "wolf" though

grab all the kicks you can baby, you only make this scene once!
current rides: '09 GL1800AD "SENSHI"; 2003 RVT1000r (RC51) track bike... certified m/c addict. IDMWT #12. GWRRA #028890
Daryl
post #55 of 67 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 12:58 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by budoka View Post
There's positives on both sides for sure. Nice you could ride with the "wolf" though
budoka,
I never rode with Yellow Wolf. I am so slow, I can't hardly keep the trunk of my Wing from running over me. I just know Wolf did that.

When it comes to riding, I am not worthy to check the air in the Wolf's tires let alone ride with him.

I do recall: he was adamant anti-DS, a couple of us on the board talked into trying one and giving a report. I personally wanted to hear from a great rider how the CT hold up under his skillful abuse. It was his report that finally talked me into trying the dark.

Now this was long ago, so don't quote literally, but I have a recollection that he claimed to have tried to rip the CT off the rim and he could not. Wolf certainly did not convert to DS but he acknowledge the CT held up to his antics.

...for a minute there budoka, I was running with the image of me riding with Wolf, but as most illusion do, it PUFFed!

A giant star blew up, elements combined, a long time passed and then, there you are. The mother of all mothers, even yours, is a supernova.
post #56 of 67 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 02:48 PM
Administrator

Garage
He did run a c/t for alt least a while, I remember his comments being more than positive. He left us little folk for that other place though...

grab all the kicks you can baby, you only make this scene once!
current rides: '09 GL1800AD "SENSHI"; 2003 RVT1000r (RC51) track bike... certified m/c addict. IDMWT #12. GWRRA #028890
Daryl
post #57 of 67 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 02:57 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by budoka View Post

Agreed, there are pro's and con's on both sides when it comes to tires, for me, I think it is a matter of taste and riding styles.

This is a link to an interesting handbook on the construction of motorcycle tires: http://totalmotorcycle.com/photos/ti...n-Handbook.pdf

9th ID, US Army
Vietnam 69-70
Disabled Veterans of America
Member of MOPH (Military Order of the Purple Heart)
post #58 of 67 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 03:25 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terryj View Post
Agreed, there are pro's and con's on both sides when it comes to tires, for me, I think it is a matter of taste and riding styles.

This is a link to an interesting handbook on the construction of motorcycle tires: http://totalmotorcycle.com/photos/ti...n-Handbook.pdf
Great article Terry. Soon as I get more time I plan on reading it carefully.

I noted the 4 basic functions of a motorcycle tire listed in the article.
I would speculate that DS folks would argue that those 4 basic functions are performed better by a CT on a Wing than the current motto snicker.

I am just saying, they would argue that point.

Again, long ago, when I was not with the Rebel forces, some guy did a spot measurement of CT on a lean. In fact, he documented that there was actually more 'area' of contact during a turn with a CT than with a motto tire. He did it by measuring both tires' print on the road/leaning using some kind of chalk or paint on the tires...I can't remember specifically...

Please, I ain't like arguing for one camp nor the other. I am just noting the information posted.

post #59 of 67 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 03:28 PM Thread Starter

Hey budoka,

Last I heard about the Wolf was that he had gotten rid of the Wing and was riding some sort of crotchrocket-like bike.

Where is that guy now? I would like to give a howdy-dooty. I always admired his craziness.

post #60 of 67 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 05:37 PM

Garage
A wore out MC rear tire on a Goldwing is about the same shape as a broke in CT on a Goldwing

IDMWT member #80
Never walk, when you can ride!

current ride : 2013 GL1800 Audio Comfort

Darkside Yokohama Avid ENVigor 195/55 R16
non-runflat
Double Darkside Bridgestone BT45 Battlax Front

Past rides: '98 GL1500SE
'03 750 Kawasaki Vulcan
'81 850 Suzuki
'80 550 Suzuki
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode