Pardon me, but another tire issue - Page 5 - Honda Goldwing Forums
 25Likes

post #41 of 67 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 04:43 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopin View Post
Darkside #1039 here. I never went back. I rode on a rental Wing last year and immediately noticed the agility factor go up. At first I thought I had a flat tire, but it was me used to the effortless stability of a car tire. I'm more comfortable with stability over agility now. Murgie, the keeper of the Darside roster, helped me install my first car tire and took me on the inauguration ride through the hills of West Virginia.

Chopin and GoldWingKing like this.

Whoever said a woman can't make up their mind never met a Male Motorcycle Rider

GWOF IB COUPLE #2

MEMBER GWOF IB TRIO #1/Overall #4

FR #91
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 67 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fossil92 View Post

Ok, Ill bite.

In response to "Lee for now", it truly has nothing to do with stability, nor agility. It has to do with him being a cheap arse and getting the most MPT that he can squeeze out of it.

AND, even if he hated the CT, he would praise it and ride on it just to be contrary to society. Some people just have to be recalcitrant.
Chopin likes this.

The FIRST GWOF IB TRIO. July 16, 2016
Charter Members:
Fossil92 - WingNutGordo - GoldWingKing

GWOF IB Couples ride. 1008.3 Mi. September 14, 2016
GWOF IB Couples ride II. 1045.6 Mi. September 16, 2016

Traxxion Dynamics, Mega Monte.
Bridgestone Driveguard RunFlat.
post #43 of 67 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 09:43 AM
Administrator

Garage
Y'all can have all the opinions you want, so long as they align with mine....
fossil92 and GoldWingKing like this.

grab all the kicks you can baby, you only make this scene once!
current rides: '09 GL1800AD "SENSHI"; 2003 RVT1000r (RC51) track bike... certified m/c addict. IDMWT #12. GWRRA #028890
Daryl

post #44 of 67 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by budoka View Post
Y'all can have all the opinions you want, so long as they align with mine....
I don't have a darkside number either.

The FIRST GWOF IB TRIO. July 16, 2016
Charter Members:
Fossil92 - WingNutGordo - GoldWingKing

GWOF IB Couples ride. 1008.3 Mi. September 14, 2016
GWOF IB Couples ride II. 1045.6 Mi. September 16, 2016

Traxxion Dynamics, Mega Monte.
Bridgestone Driveguard RunFlat.
post #45 of 67 (permalink) Old 04-04-2017, 02:20 PM

Hi, I'm looking at my rear tire (Michelin P3 Aspen 195/55/16 run flat) and it's about time for a new one(25,000 miles). I have read that this tire is no longer being made. Is there anybody out there who HAD this tire, and now has a replacement, that's similar? I know there's a list of all the different darksiders' options out there somewhere, but I'd like one that closely mimics the characteristics of what I have. Most important for me is the run-flat option.

Richie
post #46 of 67 (permalink) Old 04-04-2017, 03:16 PM
Lifetime Premium

I'm currently riding the Bridgestone Drive Guard, coming off the Michelin PA3. The PA3 was an H rated tire, the Drive Guard is a " Performance " rated tire. The difference between the two, to me, is a Highway rated tire has more meat on the outside edges , which, in my opinion, leads to a longer life for those that like to corner a lot in the mountains. But either one will get you down the road in confidence.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lee.
Darksider since I finally saw the Light.
post #47 of 67 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 06:12 AM

You can put any kind of tire you want on your Wing, you can mount it sideways, backwards and upside down and it's still going to wear out and you're still going to have to replace it at some point. I'm sticking with the stockers, they're very good tires and handle well. I'll probably get around 12,000 miles on these tires which puts me replacing them once a year which I have no problem with.
post #48 of 67 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 06:56 AM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhobbs74 View Post
. I'll probably get around 12,000 miles on these tires which puts me replacing them once a year which I have no problem with.

I don't have a problem with that either, but she does.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lee.
Darksider since I finally saw the Light.
post #49 of 67 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhobbs74 View Post
You can put any kind of tire you want on your Wing, you can mount it sideways, backwards and upside down and it's still going to wear out and you're still going to have to replace it at some point. I'm sticking with the stockers, they're very good tires and handle well. I'll probably get around 12,000 miles on these tires which puts me replacing them once a year which I have no problem with.
I'm thinking mounting it sideways will have an adverse affect on 1) wear, and 2) ride.

Richie
post #50 of 67 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 12:35 PM Thread Starter

The dilemma:
A set of moto tires that last between 12 to 16k (some 18) and handle nimbly like a motto should.

Or, a set of CT that last over 20k and have run-flat safety but handle like not-as-nimble as the moto tires do.

I don't think there is anything wrong with either choice.

Personally, I would like to see a moto tire developed with the carcass of a CT but the shape of a moto tire; and that would be the compromise that creates the panacea of a touring tire on any tankish touring bike.

What I fail to justify/reason is the idea of aggressive riding on a touring bike, as many folks seem to enjoy on K16, Wings and other big-butt-bikes; as these bikes are not created for racing. There are bike specifically designed for the praxis of hauling arses.

Unfortunately, current tires for touring bikes are more of a copy-cat of racing tires than not--allowing for some insignificant traits/marketing for touring customers.

When, are the motorcycle tire manufacturers gonna design a tire with specific traits for touring long distance on a heavy touring motorcycle loaded with crap?...my guess is never.
823Jim likes this.

A giant star blew up, elements combined, a long time passed and then, there you are. The mother of all mothers, even yours, is a supernova.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode