Reverse button got stuck on reverse - Page 2 - Honda Goldwing Forums
 3Likes

post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-31-2017, 12:43 PM
Administrator

Garage
I'd keep trying the cleaner multiple times before tearing into the innards. Spray the switch while working the button at the same time. Cover the surrounding areas with a drop cloth to avoid making a mess of the rest of your bike.

grab all the kicks you can baby, you only make this scene once!
[/COLOR]current rides: '09 GL1800AD "SENSHI"; 2003 RVT1000r (RC51) track bike... certified m/c addict. IDMWT #12. GWRRA #028890
Daryl
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-31-2017, 12:52 PM
Lifetime Premium

Reverse button got stuck on reverse

Quote:
Originally Posted by budoka View Post
I'd keep trying the WD-40 multiple times before tearing into the innards. Spray the switch while working the button at the same time. Cover the surrounding areas with a drop cloth to avoid making a mess of the rest of your bike.

Same here. Most Goldwing switches go bad from lack of exercise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lee.
Darksider since I finally saw the Light.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-31-2017, 02:13 PM

@alpac here is a schematic breakdown of sorts on the controls. What you need to do to access the switches is take out the screws on the bottom (21/22) that will split the control, then you will have to disconnect things and further disassembly is required to get to the switch and remove it (19,12,23,8). Once you get the switch out you may be able to separate it (at least on the 1500 you can), and then that will get you to the inner workings of the switch itself.

It's a bit of a trying task but one that is chock full of accomplishment when completed.

http://www.hondadirectline.com/OEMpa...1E1AMCA4F0400A

Hey Fossil,

I looked at these schematics, and it looks like they are reversed in the picture, like you're looking from the front of the bike, not in the saddle. Note the kill switch is on the LEFT side of the diagram, so the screws would be #21 and #21, and the switch would be 5, 24, 4 and 20???? Correct me if I'm wrong.

I've heard that when you take this apart, there are small parts, springs, etc to fly across the garage, but I don't see any of that on the schematic. The picture looks so easy!

Richie

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-31-2017, 03:46 PM Thread Starter

FIXED! This evening I sprayed some brake cleaner in the switches and presse on them a few times and now both reverse and cruise control buttons work like new,
Luv2fish likes this.

Alain

2002 GL 1800
BMW 1999 K1200LT - totaled
various other bikes before

Vieux motard que jamais
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-01-2017, 09:49 AM

I had the same problem with the cruise and reverse switch. After spraying them with electronics cleaner they worked. For piece of mind I took my '02 to the dealer and had them go thru the switches and use dielectric grease on them. Works like brand new. They charged me $80 but the piece of mind was well worth it.
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-01-2017, 10:04 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by liflyboy View Post
@alpac here is a schematic breakdown of sorts on the controls. What you need to do to access the switches is take out the screws on the bottom (21/22) that will split the control, then you will have to disconnect things and further disassembly is required to get to the switch and remove it (19,12,23,8). Once you get the switch out you may be able to separate it (at least on the 1500 you can), and then that will get you to the inner workings of the switch itself.

It's a bit of a trying task but one that is chock full of accomplishment when completed.

http://www.hondadirectline.com/OEMpa...1E1AMCA4F0400A

Hey Fossil,

I looked at these schematics, and it looks like they are reversed in the picture, like you're looking from the front of the bike, not in the saddle. Note the kill switch is on the LEFT side of the diagram, so the screws would be #21 and #21, and the switch would be 5, 24, 4 and 20???? Correct me if I'm wrong.

I've heard that when you take this apart, there are small parts, springs, etc to fly across the garage, but I don't see any of that on the schematic. The picture looks so easy!
Yes that is correct, that view is from the front of the bike.

I have taken apart three of these now on 1500's and you just need to be careful as doing so. It isn't a disastrous job. Some of things I do is work on the floor of the garage (so nothing can fall and bounce away), work on a new clean bright blue tarp (Harbor Freight -either free or $5). I keep one for just said tasks (small parts repairs) that way if a part falls it is easy to find. 3rd and final thing I do is take a quick picture with the phone as I am removing things in case I forget exactly how something was positioned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpac View Post
FIXED! This evening I sprayed some brake cleaner in the switches and presse on them a few times and now both reverse and cruise control buttons work like new,
I would typical not use brake clean myself just because I know it's not very plastic friendly however I am glad it worked. My only comment would be now you may want to squirt either WD40 or Lithium Grease in also because brake clean may remove all the lubricant that was in the switch... No judging just offering an opinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwhiz View Post
I had the same problem with the cruise and reverse switch. After spraying them with electronics cleaner they worked. For piece of mind I took my '02 to the dealer and had them go thru the switches and use dielectric grease on them. Works like brand new. They charged me $80 but the piece of mind was well worth it.
I did this same thing with the switches that I disassembled. The only way to ensure that all is well. Besides replacement that is.

Whoever said a woman can't make up their mind never met a Male Motorcycle Rider

GWOF IB COUPLE #2

MEMBER GWOF IB TRIO #1/Overall #4

FR #91
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-01-2017, 01:35 PM
Lifetime Premium

I never thought of using Brake Cleaner on the bikes switches, I'll have to look into that. I know it works great on freeing up the Dead Bolt lock one my shops.

From the Northwest Corner
Ron
The Land of Tall mountains
IDMWT #5
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-01-2017, 05:12 PM Thread Starter

Used the brake cleaner again on the mute button this time which I discovered today was stuck too. Had not paid attention to it until this afternoon. That worked again. I followed the above advice and sprayed contact cleaner/lubricant once the button was working again.
Chopin likes this.

Alain

2002 GL 1800
BMW 1999 K1200LT - totaled
various other bikes before

Vieux motard que jamais
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode