On the wobble fix - Page 4 - Honda Goldwing Forums
 24Likes

post #31 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-16-2017, 02:06 PM

Swampdonkey

Here is the point I am trying to make "There is no cure for the wobble only a temporary reprieve"

2017 Red Level 3
2006 Titanium Level 3
Traxxion suspension
WBRA senior member
IBA member 30028
IDMWT #100
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."
George Bernard Shaw

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-17-2017, 06:27 AM

I have a 2012 bought it new. It's got 40k + miles and has never had the wobble. I had a front tire come apart on me on trip down south last summer and didn't wobble when that happened. Not sure what's up with the wings wobbling. My dad ha the same bike but a 2013 and has never had the wobble either. If mine does develop it though I'll be getting the full Monty installed.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

Nothing rides quite like a Goldwing...
2012 GL 1800 level 2 Audio/Comfort/Navi/XM (ultra blue metallic)
1987 GL 1200 Aspencade (wine berry) sold

IDMWT Club Member#45

The price of victory is high, but so are the rewards.- Paul "Bear" Bryant
~Be allergic to average!~
post #33 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-17-2017, 01:44 PM

Why wait. The traxxion is a great improvement to the wing. Last spring I was looking at replacing my 06 the dealer I went to admitted that I probably would not be happy with the handling of the 16 with out traxxion.
nando likes this.

2017 Red Level 3
2006 Titanium Level 3
Traxxion suspension
WBRA senior member
IBA member 30028
IDMWT #100
George Bernard Shaw

post #34 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-17-2017, 03:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinx View Post
Why wait. The traxxion is a great improvement to the wing. Last spring I was looking at replacing my 06 the dealer I went to admitted that I probably would not be happy with the handling of the 16 with out traxxion.
No doubt on the improvement. After my Traxxion install on my ex-2005 GL, the differ was so great that I told myself I would never own a Goldwing again without Traxxion.

So, here I am, a few sunrises later, I need to save money on this wobbling-elimination process--or I could just as well call it the 'replacement of the sheety forks Honda insists on shoving down our throats'. Either way, I was wondering if I could get away with the Traxxion Springs (the cheaper option) and accomplish the expiration of the evil wobble.

I still don't understand these "ball-bearings" suggestions, and Traxxion selling them; coming from a while back and out of touch with the current Windinger things, I though that tappered bearing was the desirable anti-wobble install. I thought that ball bearing were not good.
What has happened since?
post #35 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-17-2017, 04:20 PM

Garage
The 'All Balls' are a brand name that traxxion and others sell, they are tapered roller bearings.
post #36 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-17-2017, 06:33 PM
Lifetime Premium

I have a set of All -Balls still in the package. Just waiting to blow a fork seal to justify and facilitate their installation .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tatanka likes this.

Lee.
Darksider since I finally saw the Light.
post #37 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-17-2017, 06:57 PM

Garage
nando,
Pics of the triple tree's, left is OEM and right is the traxxion. Pics of steering head (triple tree)bearings, left is the All Balls tapered bearing from traxxion and right is the OEM ball bearings. I was in disbelief when installer pulled these OEM bearings, I'm sure I have seen larger bearings in bicycle steering columns. The bearing cages are some type of plastic and the balls would just fall out of the cage. This is a major difference in bearing surface contact of the two types of bearings. Quite a difference in the bulkiness of the tree's also. Had the pics so I thought I would share.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160527_105805.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	217785   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160527_105456.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	217793  
crownfire, Tatanka and nando like this.
post #38 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-18-2017, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedymph1000 View Post
I have a 2012 bought it new. It's got 40k + miles and has never had the wobble. I had a front tire come apart on me on trip down south last summer and didn't wobble when that happened. Not sure what's up with the wings wobbling. My dad ha the same bike but a 2013 and has never had the wobble either. If mine does develop it though I'll be getting the full Monty installed.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
So let me understand this . You had a tire come apart and as you decelerated from 40 to 30 mph you took your hands
off the handle bars. Because if you didn't remove your hands from the handlebars at that speed how would you know
if you had the wobble.

JKust to be clear you can have the wobble and not know it if you never remove your hands from the handle bars at about
40 mph. I check for the wobble by setting the cruise control as close to 40 mph as I can and then take my hands off the bars.
Unless the wobble has become extreme I wont know it is back.

And as far as Traxxion curing the cupping sorry but it will still happen even with Traxxion. I say this after going thru about 15 sets of tires with the traxxion system and Dunlop, mertzeler and Bridgestones tires I still get cupping on some.

2017 Red Level 3
2006 Titanium Level 3
Traxxion suspension
WBRA senior member
IBA member 30028
IDMWT #100
George Bernard Shaw

post #39 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-18-2017, 10:04 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampdonkey View Post
nando,
Pics of the triple tree's, left is OEM and right is the traxxion. Pics of steering head (triple tree)bearings, left is the All Balls tapered bearing from traxxion and right is the OEM ball bearings. I was in disbelief when installer pulled these OEM bearings, I'm sure I have seen larger bearings in bicycle steering columns. The bearing cages are some type of plastic and the balls would just fall out of the cage. This is a major difference in bearing surface contact of the two types of bearings. Quite a difference in the bulkiness of the tree's also. Had the pics so I thought I would share.
Much oblige Swamp, I see now! yeap, them is the tapered bearing I put on me o' 05. The whole traxxion tree looks more beefy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinx View Post
So let me understand this . You had a tire come apart and as you decelerated from 40 to 30 mph you took your hands
off the handle bars. Because if you didn't remove your hands from the handlebars at that speed how would you know
if you had the wobble.

JKust to be clear you can have the wobble and not know it if you never remove your hands from the handle bars at about
40 mph. I check for the wobble by setting the cruise control as close to 40 mph as I can and then take my hands off the bars.
Unless the wobble has become extreme I wont know it is back.

And as far as Traxxion curing the cupping sorry but it will still happen even with Traxxion. I say this after going thru about 15 sets of tires with the traxxion system and Dunlop, mertzeler and Bridgestones tires I still get cupping on some.

Jinx,
I would guess you get less cupping with the Traxxion forkage. I am guessing the friction against the road of a bike that heavy going around a corner leaning is going to cup-chew a tire. Are you an aggressive rider? I would guess the cupping would be more salient if you hot-rod.

The other thing I was thinking is maybe you still have some flexing on your tubes when you lean hard...just taking guesses here!
post #40 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-18-2017, 11:50 AM
Administrator

Garage
Tire cupping is a function of several factors coming into play. First and most important is tire pressure and wheel balance. This is due to the extreme weight of the Goldwing to start with, if you under inflate the tire (36 psi -recommended in the manual, or less) cupping will be more readily apparent and more severe. Then if you combine that with aggressive riding it will further exaggerate the condition, just as worn bearings will. All of these will increase "tire squirm" as well as create a loose feeling front end and change the way the tire wears versus how it normally would. It will also increase the infamous head shake under deceleration in the aforementioned 40 mph range. Worn or weak fork springs, improperly torqued steering head, improperly loaded bike (weight) and rear suspension settings also create negative effects on the issue. Another thing that is seldom mentioned is the possibility of incorrect positioning of the upper fork legs in the triple tree (where the pinch bolts clamp the forks down) whether it be too high or too low. Obviously this would most likely occur on a bike that had some fork maintenance or repair work done and should not be an issue from the factory.
Having said that, the forks on the Goldwings are sub standard for a bike of this caliber, which I find both inexcusable and deplorable. Honda owns Showa for crying out loud so why not make the improvements.
Chopin and nando like this.

grab all the kicks you can baby, you only make this scene once!
current rides: '09 GL1800AD "SENSHI"; 2003 RVT1000r (RC51) track bike... certified m/c addict. IDMWT #12. GWRRA #028890
Daryl
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode